All-in-One PCs

Old January 24th 16, 09:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default All-in-One PCs

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 12:16:07 -0500, PeterN
wrote:

On 1/24/2016 8:17 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , android
says...

The consensus is that if you really want an all in one then the iMac is
the way to go... The real way to go is, however to buy a Mini Mac and
hook up a screen of your choice!

Fine, but is there anything with Windows?

Yep! I use an HP Elite, which i have upgraded a few times. Added some
memory, cost about $70. A few years ago the HD crashed, cost to replace,
including labor under $200, including adding a second internal HD. I
recently added a new graphics card to support my new monitor. Cost under
$100. I have had the machine for a bit over six years. While there is
nothing wrong with Macs, I think the ability to easily upgrade makes it
a better machine for y purposes.
BTW my processor is an eight core i7.

Are you sure? They weren't even introduced until late 2014, so if you
never replaced the mobo & processor, yours should be only 4 cores. Or
do you have a dual processor machine?
Old January 24th 16, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I would be concerned about driver issues when the
programs update.

there's no need to be concerned. apple supplies the necessary drivers
for the hardware.

But do they concern themselves with drivers compatible with Windows
applications? I think not.

app os driver hardware ...

Some drivers for external hardware are not just passive but
configurable. Nor is an application for an Apple necessarily identical
to that of nominally the same application for Windows.

the apps *are* windows apps because the mac is running windows, with
the necessary windows drivers.
Old January 24th 16, 09:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system
android

In article ,
Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , Lewis says...
Apple makes the best Windows laptops.

Why don't they deliver them with Windows on them?

You can buy W10 from MS if you really want to put Windows on a Mac and
load it through Bootcamp. Most folks that use Macs pay premium for
access to OSX and a minority want's Windows to. Believe it or not but MS
would charge Apple for shipping Macs with W10 installed...
--
teleportation kills
Old January 24th 16, 09:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/24/2016 4:35 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 16:01:42 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

why would someone want to buy a 24" tablet with 5 minute battery life
and wall mount brackets. the whole concept is stupid.

Don't you read or have just got locked in argumentative mode?

i read.

"Internal battery not needed or perhaps small for for 5 minutes of
autonomy, in case the power gets cut off for some reason."

that's what an external ups is for, and it can last for much longer
than 5 minutes too.

there is *no* need to put a battery inside something that normally runs
off of wall power or mounts on a wall. it's a complete waste of time
and money.

now try to justify a wall mounted 24" tablet. are you going to stand in
front of it all day?

it's a dumb idea.

I wouldn't mind getting my two 24" screens off my desk and onto the
wall, along with their four not very flexible cables.

Quite a few engineers use a touch screen, mounted between 30 degrees and
horizontal. Many have used stomach high drafting tables before they
retired. A wall mount would provide just such flexibility. A wall mount
would take up a lot less space than a drafting table. At my age it is a
lot easier to get up an down from a stool, than a chair. But according
to nosense, I am wrong.

--
PeterN

Old January 24th 16, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system
Mayayana

| Apple makes the best Windows laptops.
|
| Why don't they deliver them with Windows on them?

His statement is heavily biased. If you
could buy Windows on a Dell for, say, $800
or the same thing, on basically the same
hardware, for twice the price, would you
opt for paying an extra $800 to get a little
white Apple logo on your laptop?

Apple's strength is that they control the
whole device, as well as the OS, and can
therefore offer great stability, albeit at the
cost of options. Apple sells boutique devices
to a high-price market. To sell Windows
they'd have to compete with all the other
struggling companies getting thin profit margins
-- HP, Dell, Acer, etc.

They did actually sell OEM Macs at one time.
I have a brother who used to have one. If I
remember correctly, that's one of the things Jobs
shut down when he returned to run the company.
He wasn't a tech person. He was a marketing
person. He knew he'd be better off marketing an
image than competing in the market. And he pulled
it off in spades. Today, Microsoft has little chintzy
stores in the mall while Apple has glass cathedrals
dedicated to handing one's money over to Lord
Jobs. And damned if people don't line up outside
just to get a chance to empty their wallets! ...I
guess we should be grateful that Steve Jobs didn't
decide to take the career route of Jim Jones.

Old January 24th 16, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

Yes. I too was surprised. The printed specs for the machine, HP e9270f,
show the processor is an i7 quad 4. Yet when I right clicked on the
processor in device manager, I saw eight cores. I could have misread it.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Untitled-1.jpg

--
PeterN
Old January 24th 16, 10:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/24/2016 5:11 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

Quite a few engineers use a touch screen, mounted between 30 degrees and
horizontal. Many have used stomach high drafting tables before they
retired. A wall mount would provide just such flexibility. A wall mount
would take up a lot less space than a drafting table. At my age it is a
lot easier to get up an down from a stool, than a chair. But according
to nosense, I am wrong.

more twisting.

You will never admit to saying something stupid, which you obviously did.

--
PeterN
Old January 24th 16, 10:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

[...]

That got me curious, so I had to Google it:
http://superuser.com/questions/96001/why-does-my-intel-i7-920-display-8-cores-instead-of-4-cores

The short answer is that your CPU has 4 cores, but 8 threads, and
device mgr lists all the threads. I never noticed that.
Old January 24th 16, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| Apple makes the best Windows laptops.
|
| Why don't they deliver them with Windows on them?

His statement is heavily biased.

it's not his statement.

he's referring to pc magazine, who stated that the macbook pro was the
best windows laptop.

pc magazine does indeed have a bias, but it's the *opposite* bias as to
what you're trying to portray.

now why do you think a magazine that caters to the windows crowd chose
a macbook as the best windows laptop?

If you
could buy Windows on a Dell for, say, $800
or the same thing, on basically the same
hardware, for twice the price, would you
opt for paying an extra $800 to get a little
white Apple logo on your laptop?

apple products are competitive for similar specs.

there is *no* premium for an apple logo (which isn't always white
either).

match the specs and the price will be similar. configure it differently
and the lesser spec system will cost less and the better spec system
will cost more. no surprise there.

now go price out a microsoft surfacebook if you want to see what
premium pricing means.

Apple's strength is that they control the
whole device, as well as the OS, and can
therefore offer great stability,

that is a huge, huge advantage and something other companies are
realizing, including microsoft, samsung and others.

why would someone want a computer that's not stable and keeps crashing
or is difficult to configure and maintain?

albeit at the
cost of options.

wrong on that too.

Apple sells boutique devices
to a high-price market. To sell Windows
they'd have to compete with all the other
struggling companies getting thin profit margins
-- HP, Dell, Acer, etc.

you mean like microsoft does with their surfacebook?

They did actually sell OEM Macs at one time.
I have a brother who used to have one. If I
remember correctly, that's one of the things Jobs
shut down when he returned to run the company.
He wasn't a tech person. He was a marketing
person. He knew he'd be better off marketing an
image than competing in the market. And he pulled
it off in spades.

the mac clones were shut down because they were a disaster.

Today, Microsoft has little chintzy
stores in the mall while Apple has glass cathedrals
dedicated to handing one's money over to Lord
Jobs. And damned if people don't line up outside
just to get a chance to empty their wallets!

people also line up for windows, along with all sorts of other stuff.
ever been to the mall on black friday, before stores open?

https://twitter.com/History_Pics/status/638347514861735936

...I guess we should be grateful that Steve Jobs didn't
decide to take the career route of Jim Jones.

idiot.