All-in-One PCs

Old January 24th 16, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default All-in-One PCs

In article , Mayayana says...
Most Mac users, no. That's one of the
major selling points of Windows: The computer
is really just a case housing a number of fairly
generic parts that can be swapped out or
upgraded as needed. And that's a common
thing to do. More to the point, Alfred Molon
sounds to me like the type of person who could
and would benefit from such flexibility, regardless
of whether "most" people who you know can
make use of upgradeability.

What I usually do with my notebook PCs is to replace the HDDs with
larger and/or faster units, when there is the need and the replacement
is affordable. I'm also currently pondering if I should replace the 8GB
RAM module in my notebook with a 16GB one, but I don't know if the 16GB
one will work. In any case, an AiO PC shoudl be user-upgradeable, but
unfortunately some of the more interesting ones currently are not (case
glued together).
--
Alfred Molon

Old January 24th 16, 06:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/24/2016 1:04 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

See above. In principle the ideal device is a 24-27" tablet with fast i7
processor, 32GB RAM or more, slot for SSD and slot for 2.5" HDD, 4K high
quality display (those with the new RGB LEDs), user upgradeable (user
can open it and replace/upgrade HDD, SSD and memory, weight as light
possible ( 2 or 3 Kg). With sort of a mounting bracket so that you can
fix it as a monior and take it off in case you want. Internal battery
not needed or perhaps small for for 5 minutes of autonomy, in case the
power gets cut off for some reason.

But we are quite far away from such as a device. Currently on the market
you find only behemoths with up to 16 Kg of weight.

such a device is not marketable.

So says our resident marketing expert.

yet another attack. stick to the topic for a change.

So calling you a marketing expert is an attack?
And questioning the credibility of an affirmative statement, is off topic.
You do indeed have some strange definitions.

do you really want a 24" tablet?? think about that for a moment. a 24"
tablet, and one with a whopping 5 minute battery life *and* with wall
mounting brackets.

if you think it's marketable, go start a company and build them. put
your money where your mouth is.

--
PeterN
Old January 24th 16, 06:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Bottom line. either will work. I personally would not consider an all in
one.

then you're missing out on a 5k display.

I'll manage to survive, an

maybe you'll manage to complete the sentence.

I have a personal bias in favor of flexibility, which gives the
edge to Windows.

flexibility comes at a cost. by making that the priority, you
compromise productivity and user experience.

Based upon the images you have shown us, you have zero productivity.
"User experience" is an undefinable marketing term.

it's not undefinable at all.

I forgot you are a
marketing expert.

yet another attack. try sticking to the topic for a change.

Logic says why buy a Mac if you are going to run
Windows programs.

if flexibility is your goal, then a mac is the way to go because not
only can you run windows apps but you can *also* run mac apps, making
it the most flexible choice.

Yawn. You sound like a used car salesman.

yet another attack. try sticking to the topic for a change.

I would be concerned about driver issues when the
programs update.

there's no need to be concerned. apple supplies the necessary drivers
for the hardware.

Gee that's not what some of my friends at Apple say, off the record.

unless you give specifics, that's nothing more than bull****.
Old January 24th 16, 06:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

you know quite well it was not intended as a compliment.

so what will you be calling your newly founded company that will be
building and selling such a device and when can we expect to see the
first prototypes?
Old January 24th 16, 06:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/24/2016 1:28 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

Assuming I had a desire to go into manufacturing, which I don't, I have
no obligation to give you any information.
Besides, I have other more potentially lucrative investments. Which I
would be happy to discuss with you, for an appropriate fee.

--
PeterN
Old January 24th 16, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

such a device is not marketable.

So says our resident marketing expert.

yet another attack. stick to the topic for a change.

So calling you a marketing expert is an attack?
And questioning the credibility of an affirmative statement, is off topic.
You do indeed have some strange definitions.

you know quite well it was not intended as a compliment.

so what will you be calling your newly founded company that will be
building and selling such a device and when can we expect to see the
first prototypes?

Assuming I had a desire to go into manufacturing, which I don't, I have
no obligation to give you any information.
Besides, I have other more potentially lucrative investments. Which I
would be happy to discuss with you, for an appropriate fee.

translated, "it's not marketable".
Old January 24th 16, 06:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 10:28:48 +0100, Alfred Molon
wrote:

Just curious if anyone is using all in one PCs for image processing and
if yes which ones.

Personally I'm currently eyeing some models with a 24" or 27" screen and
4K resolution.

I never thought I end up with a Mac or an all-in-one, but here I am,
sitting in front of a 5K iMac.

It's really nice.
Old January 24th 16, 07:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 24/01/2016 09:28, Alfred Molon wrote:
Just curious if anyone is using all in one PCs for image processing and
if yes which ones.

Personally I'm currently eyeing some models with a 24" or 27" screen and
4K resolution.

FWIW, and with deference to the other more experienced contributors to
this thread, I use an iMac Retina 27" i5 with an optional SSD, and I
think it might suit your needs well. It's fast, very quiet, is well
made, and has a superb screen.

I've installed Windows 10 on a partiton ('Bootcamp' - Mac software to
enable booting into Windows) and it seems to work well.

I think the key variables are how much money you have to spend, and the
Windows software you rely on.

The other thing is hard disk upgrade ability - not that easy on an iMac.
I use a combination of 500GB internal SSD, multi-TB NAS, and Apple
online storage to manage my 100GB of photos. Just about the only thing
that is easy to upgrade is the RAM (to 32GB IIRC).

--
Cheers, Rob
Old January 24th 16, 07:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/24/2016 1:50 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

such a device is not marketable.

So says our resident marketing expert.

yet another attack. stick to the topic for a change.

So calling you a marketing expert is an attack?
And questioning the credibility of an affirmative statement, is off topic.
You do indeed have some strange definitions.

you know quite well it was not intended as a compliment.

so what will you be calling your newly founded company that will be
building and selling such a device and when can we expect to see the
first prototypes?

Assuming I had a desire to go into manufacturing, which I don't, I have
no obligation to give you any information.
Besides, I have other more potentially lucrative investments. Which I
would be happy to discuss with you, for an appropriate fee.

translated, "it's not marketable".

As usual you have drawn yet another asinine conclusion. I have no
interest in opening, or purchasing a Cocoa Cola bottling plant.
According to your logic, cocoa Cola is not marketable either.

--
PeterN
Old January 24th 16, 07:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

straw man.

provide facts that it's marketable.

why would someone want to buy a 24" tablet with 5 minute battery life
and wall mount brackets. the whole concept is stupid.