Nikon D80, $100 more than the Sony, no anti-dust

Old August 10th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

Default Nikon D80, $100 more than the Sony, no anti-dust

And you have to pay for IS in each lens you want it for. Still, a big
step up from
the old D70.

Old August 11th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Sheldon

"RichA" wrote in message
oups.com...
And you have to pay for IS in each lens you want it for. Still, a big
step up from
the old D70.

When people start comparing Nikon DSLR's to other makes they always seem to
forget one thing -- the zillions of great Nikon lenses out there that still
fit the camera.

Old August 11th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
tomm42

RichA wrote:
And you have to pay for IS in each lens you want it for. Still, a big
step up from
the old D70.

With a D200 after 6 months 2000+ pics + lots of lens changing I still
don't have dust on my sensor. Well I had one noticable piece that fell
off after about a week. But I have been to beaches and construction
zones. Either the weather sealing is working to keep out the dustor
Nikon has worked something else out. The camera is with me every day.
Though the in camera antishake is a nice idea, I don't need it on every
lens, have hand held my 24 (my main lens) to 1/30 with no problems. I
can see having the VR in longer lenses but anything under 85 or so is
questionable, yes I know the arguements. I'd rather have Nikon
concentrate on a solid long lasting camera, so I can get my 5 years of
digital life out of the thing before replacing. My other cameras are 40
year old Leicas and 20 year old Canon F1s , what does that say.

Tom

Old August 11th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
G.T.

tomm42 wrote:
RichA wrote:

And you have to pay for IS in each lens you want it for. Still, a big
step up from
the old D70.

With a D200 after 6 months 2000+ pics + lots of lens changing I still
don't have dust on my sensor.

You sure about that?

Well I had one noticable piece that fell
off after about a week. But I have been to beaches and construction
zones. Either the weather sealing is working to keep out the dustor
Nikon has worked something else out.

And what would that be? The weather sealing sure isn't going to help
with the lens off.

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Old August 11th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
tomm42

G.T. wrote:
tomm42 wrote:
RichA wrote:

And you have to pay for IS in each lens you want it for. Still, a big
step up from
the old D70.

With a D200 after 6 months 2000+ pics + lots of lens changing I still
don't have dust on my sensor.

You sure about that?

Well I had one noticable piece that fell
off after about a week. But I have been to beaches and construction
zones. Either the weather sealing is working to keep out the dustor
Nikon has worked something else out.

And what would that be? The weather sealing sure isn't going to help
with the lens off.

When I had a little spec, it was noticeable, easy to get rid of, then
I noticed it wasn't there. I shoot sky in landscape, and eyes at work
(the D200 is a nice medical camera) both is where I understand dust
will show. It just hasn't been there (knock on wood). I here there are
some cameras that are just dust magnets. The Sigma SD9, Nikon D1X have
been mentioned to me as very dusty cameras. Wonder if there is someting
having to do with static fields on the sensor covers? Any one with any
knowledge here?

Tom

Old August 11th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Greg \_\

In article .com,
"tomm42" wrote:

When I had a little spec, it was noticeable, easy to get rid of, then
I noticed it wasn't there. I shoot sky in landscape, and eyes at work
(the D200 is a nice medical camera) both is where I understand dust
will show. It just hasn't been there (knock on wood). I here there are
some cameras that are just dust magnets. The Sigma SD9, Nikon D1X have
been mentioned to me as very dusty cameras. Wonder if there is someting
having to do with static fields on the sensor covers? Any one with any
knowledge here?

Tom

I think in a generation or two of digital cameras all these dust issue
will non exist. Consumers paying $$$ for cameras will demand it
(I think
--
Reality-Is finding that perfect picture
and never looking back.

www.gregblankphoto.com
Old August 11th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"Sheldon" wrote in message

"RichA" wrote in message
oups.com...
And you have to pay for IS in each lens you want it for. Still, a big
step up from
the old D70.

When people start comparing Nikon DSLR's to other makes they always seem
to forget one thing -- the zillions of great Nikon lenses out there that
still fit the camera.

And many forget that most buyers only want and need only a few lenses. I
have several friends with Nikon and one has a Nikon 18-200mm VR lens and a
D200 and is very happy, another has a D2X and has a 70-200mm F2.8 VR and a
2X converter that is all, he only shoots birds, another has a D50 and mainly
uses the standard kit 18-50mm (or is it 55?) so they don't need zillions of
lenses.

Old August 12th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

tomm42 wrote:
RichA wrote:
[...]

I think the idea of the anti-dust system is not elimination, but to
delay the time when you finally have to go at the sensor with a
cleaning kit or send in the camera for professional
cleaning.

Old August 12th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

Greg "_" wrote:
In article .com,
"tomm42" wrote:

When I had a little spec, it was noticeable, easy to get rid of, then
I noticed it wasn't there. I shoot sky in landscape, and eyes at work
(the D200 is a nice medical camera) both is where I understand dust
will show. It just hasn't been there (knock on wood). I here there are
some cameras that are just dust magnets. The Sigma SD9, Nikon D1X have
been mentioned to me as very dusty cameras. Wonder if there is someting
having to do with static fields on the sensor covers? Any one with any
knowledge here?

Tom

I think in a generation or two of digital cameras all these dust issue
will non exist. Consumers paying $$$ for cameras will demand it
(I think
--

It's easy to address. Just do what Sigma did. Put a high quality,
multicoated plane

Old August 12th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Kilpatrick

RichA wrote:

It's easy to address. Just do what Sigma did. Put a high quality,
multicoated plane
piece of glass in the front of the camera. Body sealed, no more dust.

got one, doesn't work. Dust gets in. The glass is not sealed and it's
removable too. It helps, that's all.

David