Do I want The Gimp???

Old August 1st 04, 03:05 PM
royroy

Default Do I want The Gimp???

This may have been addressed, so if someone can simply point me to
previous discussion that would be fine.
I was recently referred to "The Gimp" as "photoshop on steroids'.
All I know from reviewing the sites:
http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/
http://www.gimp.org/
is that its free.
Anyone have any experience they could share?
TIA

Old August 1st 04, 03:33 PM
Sabineellen

Indeed, it's free. No one can tell you whether you want it or not. Just
download it and see how you like it.

Old August 1st 04, 03:33 PM
Sabineellen

Old August 1st 04, 03:48 PM
Matti Vuori

royroy wrote in news:grtpg0harlgkdqi3i70dr7v2bcl4c4592c@
4ax.com:
was recently referred to "The Gimp" as "photoshop on steroids'.

Depending on the user's needs, it could as well be called "photoshop with a
brain damage due to a prolonged use of steroids", but it may well be a very
suitable image editor for many photographers.

Anyone have any experience they could share?

You might get more expriences in comp.graphics.apps.gimp

--
Matti Vuori, http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm

Old August 1st 04, 04:53 PM
ColynG©

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 10:05:52 -0400, royroy wrote:

This may have been addressed, so if someone can simply point me to
previous discussion that would be fine.
I was recently referred to "The Gimp" as "photoshop on steroids'.
All I know from reviewing the sites:
http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/
http://www.gimp.org/
is that its free.
Anyone have any experience they could share?
TIA

If you are going to try it on Windows you will need to download GTK+2
for Windows v2.4.3 and the current version Gimp v2.0.3 at the below
url. Gimp won't work without the GTK run time environment program
installed..

http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/stable.html

I have used it on my Linux machine and find it about the same as
PhotoShop once you get used to it..

Colyn Goodson

email hidden

http://www.colyngoodson.com
Old August 1st 04, 05:37 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

royroy writes:

This may have been addressed, so if someone can simply point me to
previous discussion that would be fine.
I was recently referred to "The Gimp" as "photoshop on steroids'.
All I know from reviewing the sites:
http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/
http://www.gimp.org/
is that its free.
Anyone have any experience they could share?

I've just played with it briefly -- I'm already invested in Photoshop
and in Picture Window Pro, so I'm not taking the trouble to climb the
learning curve of a third program. Last I checked it lacks color
management, which means it's useless for any serious work -- screen
won't patch printer output, and won't match calibrated monitors
elsewhere.

Old August 1st 04, 06:14 PM
Tony Spadaro

The Gimp is more like what would happen to Photoshop if it took steroids
for too long and went impotent. You might not need Photoshop and if you are
using Linux I guess the gimp would be what you can get, but Corel Photo
Paint can actually do most of what Photoshop does (colour management is
still strictly a Photoshop feature - but if you work alone you probably
don't need it) and is plenty good enough for the amateur user. If you do a
lot of restoration of old colour photographs however, you NEED the colour
management and the ability to do a lot with 16 bit per channel files -- and
that is either Photoshop or Reindeer Graphics. I know nothing about the
second one except it supposedly will work with Corel Photo Paint. If you
need high bit workability I would still say go with Photoshop and avoid
plug-ins.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto