CanonA540 vs A630

Old February 11th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
nick

Default CanonA540 vs A630

Looking for a p&s digital for use in travel photos
and family grandchildren shots. Have seen the A540
and the A630. Looks like the 540 has fewer AA batteries
and a slightly wider f stop range, while the 630
is newer and has more AA batteries for more shooting.

Any info on shutter lag times is welcome.

I'm interested in hearing your experiences with these
cameras.
Old February 11th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Pat O'Connell

nick wrote:
Looking for a p&s digital for use in travel photos
and family grandchildren shots. Have seen the A540
and the A630. Looks like the 540 has fewer AA batteries
and a slightly wider f stop range, while the 630
is newer and has more AA batteries for more shooting.

Any info on shutter lag times is welcome.

I'm interested in hearing your experiences with these
cameras.

I like my A540, but the A630 might be worth your while. I'm not sure
whether the A630 simply requires more voltage or whether the extra cells
increase the time between battery changes. Either way, power the cameras
with NiMH rechargeable cells, not alkalines except in emergencies. The
A540 doesn't take disposable lithium cells, apparently (not mentioned in
the manual). Specs and manuals for the A630 are on Canon's website
somewhere.

--
Pat O'Connell
[note munged EMail address]
Old February 11th 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
nick

Pat O'Connell wrote:

I like my A540, but the A630 might be worth your while. I'm not sure
whether the A630 simply requires more voltage or whether the extra cells
increase the time between battery changes. Either way, power the cameras
with NiMH rechargeable cells, not alkalines except in emergencies. The
A540 doesn't take disposable lithium cells, apparently (not mentioned in
the manual). Specs and manuals for the A630 are on Canon's website
somewhere.

Just got back from licking the tires on the A710IS, the A630, and
the A540. To tell the truth, I like the extra tele on the 710 (6x)
better than the 4x of the other two.

Not sure whether 2 (540 and 710) AA cells vs 4 (630) makes a
difference.

Not sure whether I like the rotating LCD viewer on the 630,
but then again you can flip it over to protect it.

Decisions!!!
Old February 11th 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
David Harper

"nick" wrote in message
Pat O'Connell wrote:

snip

Not sure whether 2 (540 and 710) AA cells vs 4 (630) makes a
difference.

It makes a *big* difference in flash recharge times. More batteries =
faster recharge time. In the A540 it can take 5 seconds or more between
flash shots. That might be a consideration for you.

- David Harper

Old February 12th 07, 05:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Melba's Jammin'

In article , nick wrote:

Not sure whether I like the rotating LCD viewer on the 630,
but then again you can flip it over to protect it.

Decisions!!!

I absolutely love the rotating LCD screen. It lets me take pictures
(camera overhead, screen tilted so I can see what I'm framing) or camera
down low without me having to be on my knees for the picture. Makes it
easy on my bones.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic
Old February 12th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Pat O'Connell

David Harper wrote:
"nick" wrote in message
Pat O'Connell wrote:

snip

Not sure whether 2 (540 and 710) AA cells vs 4 (630) makes a
difference.

It makes a *big* difference in flash recharge times. More batteries =
faster recharge time. In the A540 it can take 5 seconds or more between
flash shots. That might be a consideration for you.

If I were taking sports photos, it might make a difference. My sports
photos mostly consist of my 7 year old grandson's gymnastics
competitions, so it' not a primary consideration.