camera recommendation?

Old March 19th 11, 02:47 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Martin Brown

Default camera recommendation?

On 19/03/2011 04:33, RichD wrote:
I'm in the market for a portable digital camera.
My cell phone doesn't have one.

Sounds like it is time you got a new phone then. It has been difficult
to avoid getting a 2Mpixel camera included for the last 5 years!

The motive is for emergency type circumstances;
like, someone is prowling near my car, I want a
photo for the police. Or whatever.

it will not be used for quality pics, they won't
be framed or even printed. The primary specs
are size, convenience, and speed. A shirt
pocket camera. I want to whip it out and shoot.

If you don't mind the price then a Canon Ixus will more or less fit the
bill - although the shutter lag on autofocus can be annoying at times. I
use an Ixus100 as my always carry camera.

Thus:
* resolution: low is acceptable, unless megapixels
are free

Define low. It is hard get get below 2Mpixels even at secondhand,
junkyard and garage sales.

* video: not necessary, if it adds bulk or
complexity, as I just want documentary pics.
* USB port
* wireless connection not needed

Bluetooth connectivity is an option now. But media is removable so it
shouldn't be a constraint on your choice for occasional use.

* battery life: not important

You bet it is. Otherwise when in that emergency you try to use it you
will get "battery depleted" and a beep as the criminal gets away.

* auto-focus: helpful, maybe necessary. But
I always want manual focus override on any camera.

Why? If the purpose is to get something half decent under stressful
circumstances you want it to be as automatic as possible.

* flash: yes. And good low light performance for dusk.
* zoom: desirable, for face close-ups etc.
* screen preview: not necessary, through the lens
should work, if it cuts size.

ITYM viewfinder (increasingly rare these days). You have to decide how
big you find acceptable and what zoom extent. 3x is about the limit in
the physically smallest cameras. TTL and SLR designs are way too bulky .

Which one fits the bill?

None of them. You have specified inconsistent requirements.

What about those no-name cameras
I see at Walgreens for $30?

I think you already know the answer.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old March 19th 11, 08:58 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Rich Grise[_2_]

Martin Brown wrote:
On 19/03/2011 04:33, RichD wrote:
I'm in the market for a portable digital camera.
My cell phone doesn't have one.

Sounds like it is time you got a new phone then. It has been difficult
to avoid getting a 2Mpixel camera included for the last 5 years!

I have a $9.95 TracFone(r) that's ...

wait for it...

A Telephone!

Cheers!