Epson 1290S - Black isn't black

Old August 13th 04, 01:52 PM
Chris Gilbert

Default Epson 1290S - Black isn't black

I'd appreciate some opinions from people who have used the above
printer.

I have been continually frustrated with the fact that I can't get
the thing to print WYSIWYG colour and tone. Black in particular is
a source of frustration. I appreciate that it will adjust the print
according to which paper you tell it you're using but does anyone
have a relaible method of getting darker tones out of this thing
without having to run off half a dozen experimental prints ?

TIA

Chris
Old August 13th 04, 04:41 PM
bmoag

Getting quality prints out photoprinters is not as easy as manufacturers
lead people to think. To see what your printer is capable of you need to
learn the basics of color management and workflow. There just isn't any
other way because that is the system that the manufacturers are designing to
work with their printers.

I have looked at other programs but realistically printer manufacturers make
their products primarily Adobe compatible which means Photoshop or Elements
are the easiest to configure. Color management is possible, but difficult in
my experience, in Photopaint and to a limited extent Paintshop. You can get
good results without color management but you have to be able to be certain
that color management is turned off in your photoprogram: if not the usual
result is a frustrating pink or red discoloration in all prints. Epson
printers in my experience are less tolerant of color mismanagement than some
other brands.

If you have PS or Elements the easiest way to learn is to look up the Epson
Print Academy, presuming Epson still offers this on their web site. Just
watching how it is done will be easier than reading a long instruction book.
The cost is not much more than one color ink cartridge.

Old August 13th 04, 07:46 PM
Dankwart Koehler

Apart from the aspects of printer and print management that others have
answered, are you sure your image (if that is what you are talking about)
contains real blacks.
If you use Photoshop, use "adjust", "levels" and move the left slider to the
beginning of black, readjusting the other sliders bak to their desired
darkness - or ,alternatively, use the black eyedropper to mark the darkest
intensity..

m...

Old August 13th 04, 08:41 PM
Chris Gilbert

Thanks for the suggestions, chaps. Yes, I use Elements so clearly
there's a bit of legwork on my part required on my part. I appreciate
your time.

Chris