Nikon 50mm 1.2 or 1.4

Old September 5th 04, 01:34 AM
Gordon Moat

Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:

Which should I buy? Why?
Thanks,
Mike.

I have used several manual focus versions of these. All of the f1.2
lenses exhibited some vignetting and softness at the corners, though
performed better at f2.0. Of the f1.4 I have owned and used, it took
four examples to find one that was really a great performer. That one
that I kept was not a new lens, though it has stood up well to lots of
usage. In general, I think you will have much better luck with the f1.4,
particularly in AIS mount. The 50 mm f1.2 and f1.4 are nearly identical
at f2.0 and smaller apertures. The 50 mm f1.4 AIS (bought used) can
sometimes seem a little loose in the focusing barrel, though it is very
easy to tighten up (without interfering with the aperture or lens
elements).

Of all the Nikon f1.2 lenses, the rare 58 mm f1.2 is really the absolute
best choice, and substantially better than any of the fast 50 mm lens
choices. There is a very similar old 55 mm f1.2, which is much cheaper,
though it is not much better performing than a 50 mm f1.4, though it has
better edge performance wide open than the 50 mm f1.2. The biggest
problem with the 58 mm f1.2 is that it is very very expensive.

Unless you plan on doing quite a bit of wide open, or low light
photography, then you can do slightly better with a Nikon f1.8 or f2.0
for less money. The absolute best 50 mm I have ever used is a currently
owned 50 mm f2.0 AI deep barrel lens. These were not made for long, and
the very short barrel lens (often in f1.8) is much more common.

Whichever Nikon 50 mm you get, definitely get the matching lens hood.
The older metal lens hoods are quite good, though a little tough to
find. There was a screw on version, though the snap on version is more
common. Skip on the rubber lens hood, since the mount is slightly too
thick, and makes filter use more likely to cause vignetting.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com/gallery.html Updated!

Old September 5th 04, 02:00 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

Mike - EMAIL IGNORED writes:

Which should I buy? Why?

The 1.4.

Unless there are special circumstances. *Which* 1.2? The 58mm f1.2
NOCT is an excellent lens for lots of things (including portraiture on
a DSLR with 1.5x crop factor).

Old September 5th 04, 05:18 AM
William Graham

"Mike - EMAIL IGNORED" wrote in message
Which should I buy? Why?
Thanks,
Mike.

Unless you have a specific need for the extra speed, go for the slower
lens.....As a matter of fact, what's wrong with the f/1.8? This lens is as
sharp or sharper than the other two, and it sells for less than $100. I
don't see how you can beat a bargain like that unless, as I say, you
absolutely have to have the extra speed.

Old September 5th 04, 03:12 PM
brian

Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote in message ...
Which should I buy? Why?
Thanks,
Mike.

These two lenses perform very similarly when compared at identical
apertures. Since the 50/1.2 gives you more options its the one to
get.

Brian
www.caldwellphotographic.com

Old September 5th 04, 11:07 PM
Sander Vesik

William Graham wrote:

"Mike - EMAIL IGNORED" wrote in message
Which should I buy? Why?
Thanks,
Mike.

Unless you have a specific need for the extra speed, go for the slower
lens.....As a matter of fact, what's wrong with the f/1.8? This lens is as
sharp or sharper than the other two, and it sells for less than $100. I
don't see how you can beat a bargain like that unless, as I say, you
absolutely have to have the extra speed.

Yes, but if you really have a really dark scene or are trying to
shoot moving things in low light, you might simply not get the shot
with the 1.8 or get it only with unacceptably grainy film. 1 1/3 stop
does make quite a difference.

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++