SB-26 or SB-28DX

Old September 3rd 04, 03:03 AM
Tracy Mercer

Default SB-26 or SB-28DX

I have a Nikon F75 and was thinking of buying a SB-28DX speedlight for it.
Then I was offered a used SB-26 for less then the SB-28DX. I tend to shoot
a lot of nature pictures and a few family weddings/parties. I am also
thinking of getting a D70 in the next year, will the SB-26 work well with
the D70? Any suggestions which one is the better purchase? Thanks.

Old September 3rd 04, 03:48 AM
S Lee

Tracy Mercer choreographed a chorus line of high-kicking electrons to
spell out:

I have a Nikon F75 and was thinking of buying a SB-28DX speedlight for
it. Then I was offered a used SB-26 for less then the SB-28DX. I tend
to shoot a lot of nature pictures and a few family weddings/parties.
I am also thinking of getting a D70 in the next year, will the SB-26
work well with the D70? Any suggestions which one is the better
purchase? Thanks.

If you're going to get a D70 later and want full TTL automation of the
flash, even the -28 won't do it, you'll need an SB-800 or -600 (the -800
would match the spec of the -28 or -26 though). Though the older pair
would be usable, and fine on the F75.

--
__ A L L D O N E! B Y E B Y E!
(__ * _ _ _ _

Old September 3rd 04, 05:09 AM
Jerry McG

I've worked with a pair of SB26s for years and feel they are far superior to
the film-based flash units that followed. Unfortunately they won't work in
TTL modes with digital bodies, as there's no film plane. For my digital
stuff I have an SB80dx that is excellent, and I can slave the SB26s to fire
off of it as well. Oddly, the SB26s work great on my Coolpix 5400, so go
figure.

Old September 3rd 04, 08:13 PM
Martin Francis

"Mignon" wrote in message
I have the SB-80DX, and it is great. I'd advise you to get that one. It

will
do the job.

It won't do TTL on the D70. If the OP doesn't need TTL, a Metz CL-1 or
Vivitar 285 would be cheaper and as effective.

no, and yes...."