35mm Plastic Cassettes

Old November 21st 05, 03:43 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Ultrafine's house brand 400 [Was 35mm Plastic Cassettes]

I think it's the same company as Photowarehouse.biz Ultrafineonline.com is
the address.

"lew" wrote in message
Isn't ultrafine a manufacturer of photo chemicals? I didn't know they had

store. Can you post a link to their website?

Thanks I just found them at Ultrafine also (cheaper too). Any idea what
their house brand 400 B&W bulk film is? Ilford? Efke? Something else?

Thx.

Old November 21st 05, 03:47 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default 35mm Plastic Cassettes

It's been my experience that ALL third party cassettes (cartridges) can vary
in quality enormously from batch to batch. I've had plastic cassettes so
tight I couldn't force the film through the light trap (scratches). And
metal cassettes with cheaply applied felt (light leaks). I suspect that the
companies that sell these shoddy cassettes buy them from several sources and
what comes in the bag or box may be sourced from any of several third world
sweat shop factories. Quality control = zero.

Never a fan of the Kodak Snap Cap either although they seem to be of high
quality they are a real PITA to get the lids on within the confines of the
bulk loader.

My favorites are recycled metal cassettes from Agfa, Ilford and house brands
of C-41. The older ones were reusable and I accumulated a large number of
these when I worked in a mini-lab, many I have never used and keep clean in
film cans until I need another batch. Most are in the old Kodak screw top
aluminum cans, I found a box of them somewhere I worked and got to keep them
since the shop had stopped bulk loading.

--
darkroommike

----------
"Alan Smithee" wrote in message
My local shop no longer sells 35mm plastic cassettes for bulk loading. I
can't stand the metal ones. Who in North America sells online bulk loading
supplies and might carry these. Thx.

Old November 21st 05, 03:47 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

The Photococan.com link doesn't seem to work.

"Nick Zentena" wrote in message
Alan Smithee wrote:
My local shop no longer sells 35mm plastic cassettes for bulk loading. I
can't stand the metal ones. Who in North America sells online bulk

supplies and might carry these. Thx.

http://www.photococan.com/

Might not be on the website but ask.

Or

www.henrys.com

Nick

--
---------------------------------------
"Digital the new ice fishing"

Old November 21st 05, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Alan Smithee wrote:
The Photococan.com link doesn't seem to work.

Works here. Unless it's being pulled out of my browsers cache.

Nick

--
---------------------------------------
"Digital the new ice fishing"
Old November 21st 05, 10:53 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Alan Smithee wrote:

I can't stand the metal ones. Who in North America sells ...

No problem. Both Adorama and Porter have the screw top
plastic cassettes. B&H does not. Dan

Old November 22nd 05, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article sCRff.544479$tl2.244609@pd7tw3no,
"Alan Smithee" writes:

Thanks I just found them at Ultrafine also (cheaper too). Any idea what
their house brand 400 B&W bulk film is? Ilford? Efke? Something else? Thx.

Given that they sell 125 and 400 B&W speed house-brand films, and given
that, AFAIK, only Kodak and Ilford make 125 B&W films, and given that
Kodak has never sold their films for rebranding, I'd say it's most likely
Ilford. OTOH, the development times in their film developing chart don't
match for the 125-speed films, although they do for the 400 speed. This
makes me a bit less certain of my analysis.

Note that Ilford is reportedly no longer selling their films for
rebranding, so it may be the Ultrafine films won't be available for much
longer; they may be selling whatever they've got and that's it.

Oh, and FWIW, I've heard that the 400-speed "Efke" film is also rebadged
Ilford (or was it Agfa?). "Real" Efke films come in ISO 25, 50, and 100,
but not higher than that.

--
Rod Smith,
http://www.rodsbooks.com
Old November 22nd 05, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article .com,
writes:

No problem. Both Adorama and Porter have the screw top
plastic cassettes. B&H does not. Dan

Yes they do:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

The photo shows a metal cartridge, but the description says plastic and
indicates that the photo may be inaccurate. I'm 90% sure I bought plastic
cartridges from B&H a few months ago. (I'm 100% sure I bought plastic
cartridges, but I MIGHT have bought them from Adorama.) They also have
another brand on their Web site, but it's special order for what I believe
is a 100-pack:

Old November 26th 05, 01:56 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

I think you can also get these (and other loading & darkroom supplies) from
Porter's Cameras: http://www.porters.com/
10 cost about $10 plus freight of course. You can also get them encoded for
ASA 100 if you wish.

"Dieter Zakas" wrote in message
In article QUQff.535820$oW2.329943@pd7tw1no, Alan Smithee at
wrote on 11/19/05 21:08:

My local shop no longer sells 35mm plastic cassettes for bulk loading. I
can't stand the metal ones. Who in North America sells online bulk
supplies and might carry these. Thx.

The local camera store, Dover Photo Supply, has them. Their info:

25 E Blackwell St
Dover NJ 07801
973.366.0994

Dieter Zakas
--
Good, better, best; never let it rest, until your good is better and your
better is best. (Billy Cox)