Do all (twenty something?) photographers look alike?

Old January 19th 04, 06:10 PM
Hugo Drax

Default Do all (twenty something?) photographers look alike?

Yesterday when I went to a local store to get some chemicals A photo club
must have been meeting or something and the majority of them were these
younger guys dressed in the same style (urban artiste hip type style, with
goatees and the same thick black glasses. It was weird but interesting. It
seems a lot of work is being put to fit into some kind of artiste stereotype
look. Anyone notice this in the field? Most of the shooters I meet
overseas/US on assignment here do not look at all like that interesting
looking crowd.

Old January 19th 04, 06:23 PM
JunkMonkey

I'm not sure you remember what you were like in your late teens/early
twenties. When you are learning your craft (whatever the craft you want to
learn is), the image you project of yourself is very important because you
aren't real confident about your skills (though you NEVER admit it - at
least the guys don't). So the uniform you wear is really the declaration of
your intent and goals..

As time goes by, some of those people will actually turn out to be pretty
good, some will turn out to be hacks, and others will become knowledgeable
consumers. It's all good.

Old January 19th 04, 07:05 PM
Chris Barnard

"Hugo Drax" wrote in message
Yesterday when I went to a local store to get some chemicals A photo club
must have been meeting or something and the majority of them were these
younger guys dressed in the same style (urban artiste hip type style, with
goatees and the same thick black glasses. It was weird but interesting. It
seems a lot of work is being put to fit into some kind of artiste

stereotype
look. Anyone notice this in the field? Most of the shooters I meet
overseas/US on assignment here do not look at all like that interesting
looking crowd.

Ack, it's just that arty lot getting all pretentious. Did you see any
berets?
Me, I'm supposed to be a 20-something photography/art student but I think
I'm not doing it right as I have rimless glasses, a suede jacket, a bad
collection of t-shirts and a load of crappy old, worn out and faded blue
jeans. I recently grew a beard though - but it wraps around my face to make
me look more scruffy

Chris.

Old January 19th 04, 08:03 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

Porgy Tirebiter - What are you going to do tomorrow,
after you graduate from More Science High?

Mudhead - I thought maybe I would find a bunch of guys
and dress alike and follow them around.

Firesign Theatre

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio

Old January 20th 04, 12:52 AM
George Kerby

On 1/19/04 2:03 PM, in article
et, "Nicholas O. Lindan"
wrote:

Porgy Tirebiter - What are you going to do tomorrow,
after you graduate from More Science High?

Mudhead - I thought maybe I would find a bunch of guys
and dress alike and follow them around.

Firesign Theatre

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio

Hot Damn!
Another Firesign Junkie!
You de Man, Nick...

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old January 20th 04, 02:11 AM
Andrey Tarasevich

Hugo Drax wrote:
Yesterday when I went to a local store to get some chemicals A photo club
must have been meeting or something and the majority of them were these
younger guys dressed in the same style (urban artiste hip type style, with
goatees and the same thick black glasses. It was weird but interesting.

Are you sure that wasn't that "flash mob" thing (or what they call it)?

--
Best regards,
Andrey Tarasevich

Old January 20th 04, 05:21 AM
Hugo Drax

"JunkMonkey" wrote in message
newsgVOb.85049$sv6.200472@attbi_s52...
I'm not sure you remember what you were like in your late teens/early
twenties. When you are learning your craft (whatever the craft you want

learn is), the image you project of yourself is very important because you
aren't real confident about your skills (though you NEVER admit it - at
least the guys don't). So the uniform you wear is really the declaration

of
your intent and goals..

As time goes by, some of those people will actually turn out to be pretty
good, some will turn out to be hacks, and others will become knowledgeable
consumers. It's all good.

I am not that far from my twenties but I never remembered trying to fit some
kind of mold.

Old January 20th 04, 05:23 AM
Hugo Drax

Ack, it's just that arty lot getting all pretentious. Did you see any
berets?
Me, I'm supposed to be a 20-something photography/art student but I think
I'm not doing it right as I have rimless glasses, a suede jacket, a bad
collection of t-shirts and a load of crappy old, worn out and faded blue
jeans. I recently grew a beard though - but it wraps around my face to

make
me look more scruffy

Chris.

The Arty lot is an interesting one, they always have this superiority
complex and spew out lots of psuedo-intellectual garbage.

Old January 20th 04, 06:30 AM
William Graham

"Hugo Drax" wrote in message

Ack, it's just that arty lot getting all pretentious. Did you see any
berets?
Me, I'm supposed to be a 20-something photography/art student but I

think
I'm not doing it right as I have rimless glasses, a suede jacket, a bad
collection of t-shirts and a load of crappy old, worn out and faded blue
jeans. I recently grew a beard though - but it wraps around my face to

make
me look more scruffy

Chris.

The Arty lot is an interesting one, they always have this superiority
complex and spew out lots of psuedo-intellectual garbage.

Maybe that's how they get people to buy their stuff....If they were
"straight", they'd starve to death........