Prom photos

Old March 3rd 04, 08:23 PM
Mark Wilding

Default Prom photos

I was asked by a neighbour to take pictures of her daughter and friends at
their upcoming prom. The photos will be taken in the late afternoon outside
in front of an old barn. There is lots of shade if sunny, lots of pretty
flowers great backgrounds and color.

The equipment that I am using is a Canon Eos rebel with a 35-70 lens. The
Canon has a built in flash. I also have a seperate flash unit. My second
Camera is a Pentax Camera (older manual model) with several lenses including
a zoom. I am planning on bringing a tripod and my girlfriend to assist me.
I also have a digital Nikon Coolpix that is capable of using an external
flash unit.

I am looking for tips on exposure, film choices and how to pose the kids. I
would also like advice on Black and White film and filters.

If anyone can help me........

Mark

Old March 8th 04, 02:14 AM
breathless

Hi Mark,

Afternoon sun with fill flash or reflector will give you pleasing
effects. You might want to, and probably need to at this point, visit
your local library or book store and look up some books reated to your
needs. The following are some links to books that specifically adress
your questions.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...72612?v=glance
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...72612?v=glance
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...72612?v=glance

Good luck and happy shooting.

-b

Old March 9th 04, 05:16 AM
otzi

wrote:

[...]

If you are for real and not a spam, try shooting some film!!!!~! or if you
must, dig. Seems strange you seem to have more stuff than an army surplus
but you ask these Q's. Pick one item and get to know it! With dig there is
no excuse but with film read the above post. Girl friend??? YOU focus on
your camera and let your girl to work the subjects re. pose, smiles etc.
Just be ready smiles aren't glued on. If these are important shots let
someone else shoot them for your name will be mud if you stuff up.

Old March 9th 04, 07:09 PM
Mark Wilding

Thanks for your concern Otzi and YES I am for real. Just to let you know I
went to the Library and read up on portrait photography. In addition I took
some photos outside with all of my Cameras to make sure I was getting the
desired effects. ie backgrounds in and out of focus etc. I am now quite a
bit more confident with my manual focus camarea and all of its workings.

I doubt I will screw up any of their pictures. Just want them the BEST that
they could be.

How about some advice on film. I have heard a lot about Portra VC and NC
film. Some people say use 400 asa and some say 160 asa. I get a deal on
Kodak Gold 400 film and can pick it up for next to nothing. Should I just
use this? or should I spend the extra money.

Old March 9th 04, 07:40 PM
Lisa Horton

Mark Wilding wrote:

Thanks for your concern Otzi and YES I am for real. Just to let you know I
went to the Library and read up on portrait photography. In addition I took
some photos outside with all of my Cameras to make sure I was getting the
desired effects. ie backgrounds in and out of focus etc. I am now quite a
bit more confident with my manual focus camarea and all of its workings.

I doubt I will screw up any of their pictures. Just want them the BEST that
they could be.

How about some advice on film. I have heard a lot about Portra VC and NC
film. Some people say use 400 asa and some say 160 asa. I get a deal on
Kodak Gold 400 film and can pick it up for next to nothing. Should I just
use this? or should I spend the extra money.

Portrait film is specifically designed to make pictures of people look
good. Other film is not. IMHO, a good part of what makes
"professional" portraits look different is the film and processing. I
would suggest using a portrait film. I like the Kodak Portra line, the
NC versions, but other people of course have other preferences. If
you're working outside, a slower film should still be fast enough, and
will give the best quality. If you want to go all out, you might check
if there's a pro lab in your area that accepts work from non pros. It
will be quite a bit more expensive than a local minilab, but the results
will look better.

Lisa
Old March 12th 04, 05:45 AM
zeitgeist

Default Prom photos\film?

How about some advice on film. I have heard a lot about Portra VC and

NC
film. Some people say use 400 asa and some say 160 asa. I get a deal

on
Kodak Gold 400 film and can pick it up for next to nothing. Should I

just
use this? or should I spend the extra money.

film is film if you are having issues with exposure and lighting, once those
are figured out then choice of film can then be an incremental difference.

additionally, taking a pro film to a clueless consumer lab can be
problematic as most of the time they don't check to see that it usually
requires a different basic filter set to start from.

my usual response to the kodak vs fuji question is, what paper does the lab
run, it shouldn't make any difference, though I've always felt fuji film was
better on fuji paper. The point in the question is that the film choice, at
least between competing color neg stocks, is merely another item way down on
the list of priorities.

great film means nothing if the lighting sucks
great film CAN help if the exposure isn't spot on (almost two stops leeway
IF your lighting is excellent, if not then you just have a larger range of
choice to decide which sucks less, highlights or shadows)