Portrait photo

Old December 14th 03, 10:28 PM
Ben Theil

Default Portrait photo

Hi,

I will soon be getting a Canon Powershot G5 camera. My first interest with
that camera is to take lot of portrait photos. The light setting could be
low. What settings should I use to get good quality portrait pictures?
For Christmas dinner, some of the pictures may not be portrait. It could be
dinner table conversation pictures. We have low dinner light settings.
What settings should I use for such pictures in those light conditions?

Thank you in advance for any help and advice.

Happy Holidays everyone!

BT
Old December 14th 03, 10:35 PM
R2D2

Ben Theil wrote in
:

Hi,

I will soon be getting a Canon Powershot G5 camera. My first interest
with that camera is to take lot of portrait photos. The light setting
could be low. What settings should I use to get good quality portrait
pictures? For Christmas dinner, some of the pictures may not be
portrait. It could be dinner table conversation pictures. We have low
dinner light settings. What settings should I use for such pictures in
those light conditions?

Thank you in advance for any help and advice.

Happy Holidays everyone!

BT

Don't expect to get any good INDOOR portraits with this camera unless you
use an external flash and a tripod.
Old December 15th 03, 12:40 AM
Tim Smith

R2D2 wrote:

Ben Theil wrote in
2:

Hi,

I will soon be getting a Canon Powershot G5 camera. My first interest
with that camera is to take lot of portrait photos. The light setting
could be low. What settings should I use to get good quality portrait
pictures? For Christmas dinner, some of the pictures may not be
portrait. It could be dinner table conversation pictures. We have low
dinner light settings. What settings should I use for such pictures in
those light conditions?

Don't expect to get any good INDOOR portraits with this camera unless you
use an external flash and a tripod.

I would say yes, and no. As a former owner of a G3 (similar in
capabilities to the G5), I got a lot of good indoor snaphots using the
built-in flash.

But if by "portraits" you mean high-quality shots of people, alone,
then the G5 is capable of it, but you need pro-quality lighting, and
the knowledge to use it. More than just an external flash, though one
of those will certainly help, if for nothing else than reducing
red-eye. (The built-in red-eye reduction (preflash), is not always
very successful.)

If you do get and use an external flash, it's usually best to use it
off-axis, that is to light the subject(s) from the side. You need a
cord that allows you to use the flash off-camera (not cheap,
unfortunately). Or you can use bounce flash, off the ceiling. You
might also want to experiment with masking off the on-camera flash
when using the external flash.

For the dinner table shots, set your ISO to near maximum, and try some
hand-held exposures. You're probably in non-auto mode here, so set the
camera to AV, maximum aperature, and don't forget to set the white
balance. I have gotten some great candle-lit dinner table shots using
incandescent WB. Low temp, in any event. (This assumes that you are
shooting JPEGs, and not using raw and software like Photoshop. If you
have PS, by all means shoot raw. You'll need a utility to process the
raw files into TIFs. I believe Canon supplies one with the G5. Or use
Camera Raw, if you are lucky enough to have PhotoShop CS.)

If you are shooting JPEGs, use the highest resolution and quality that
you can set. You can always reduce it later, for web display for
example, but you can't get it back if it wasn't there. I would always
use a 256 MB or greater CF card with a good camera like the G5. Lets
you experiment more, and shoot more. I used two 512 MB Lexar cards
with my G3. CF cards are relatively cheap. Don't miss a great shot
because you have run out of storage.

In any case, practice before the Christmas dinner. Great thing about
digital: "film" and "development" is cheap. G