USB driver for Win98 SE

Old December 31st 07, 04:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Bowden

Default USB driver for Win98 SE

I can't seem to locate a driver for my Win98 SE system to allow
unloading my Canon A460 pictures. The CD software that came with the
camera says I need Win2000 or higher and higher screen resolution. All
I want to do is get the pictures on the disk so I can edit them with
PhotoShop.

Does anybody know of a simple USB driver to connect the camera to a
Win98 SE system?

-Bill

Old December 31st 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article
,
Bill Bowden wrote:

Does anybody know of a simple USB driver to connect the camera to a
Win98 SE system?

Basic USB functionality was built into this obsolete operating system.
If your device needs something special, it should be on the discs that
came with the device. If it says that it needs Win2K, then that's what
it needs.
Old December 31st 07, 05:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

On Bill Bowden wrote:
I can't seem to locate a driver for my Win98 SE system to allow
unloading my Canon A460 pictures. The CD software that came with the
camera says I need Win2000 or higher and higher screen resolution. All
I want to do is get the pictures on the disk so I can edit them with
PhotoShop.

Does anybody know of a simple USB driver to connect the camera to a
Win98 SE system?

You may have more luck with a card reader instead of connecting the camera
directly. They _should_ come the necessary software drivers even for that
ancient OS. Or at least you should be able to download them from the
manufacturers web site.

jue
Old December 31st 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Boskey

"Bill Bowden" wrote in message
I can't seem to locate a driver for my Win98 SE system to allow
unloading my Canon A460 pictures. The CD software that came with the
camera says I need Win2000 or higher and higher screen resolution. All
I want to do is get the pictures on the disk so I can edit them with
PhotoShop.

Does anybody know of a simple USB driver to connect the camera to a
Win98 SE system?

-Bill

Card Reader or upgrade your OS. If Canon didn't develop a Win98 driver for
this camera, then your probably out of luck.

Old December 31st 07, 06:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

Bill Bowden wrote:
I can't seem to locate a driver for my Win98 SE system to allow
unloading my Canon A460 pictures. The CD software that came with the
camera says I need Win2000 or higher and higher screen resolution. All
I want to do is get the pictures on the disk so I can edit them with
PhotoShop.

Does anybody know of a simple USB driver to connect the camera to a
Win98 SE system?

-Bill

The SE upgrade should have a USB driver included.
Does your USB interface work with any other accessories?
Although Microsoft no longer supports Win 98 SE, you may find a
(removable drive) driver there that you can use.
If MS can't help, you may try http://www.drivers.com
For an interim solution, use a friend's computer to copy the images to a
CD. Then play the CD.
Bob Williams
Old December 31st 07, 09:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Bill Bowden wrote:
I can't seem to locate a driver for my Win98 SE system to allow
unloading my Canon A460 pictures. The CD software that came with the
camera says I need Win2000 or higher and higher screen resolution. All
I want to do is get the pictures on the disk so I can edit them with
PhotoShop.

Does anybody know of a simple USB driver to connect the camera to a
Win98 SE system?

-Bill

These cameras don't use the standard USB mass storage system. Get a
cheap card reader, and forget connecting the camera to the computer.
Faster anyway.
Old December 31st 07, 09:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Jürgen Exner wrote:
On Bill Bowden wrote:
I can't seem to locate a driver for my Win98 SE system to allow
unloading my Canon A460 pictures. The CD software that came with the
camera says I need Win2000 or higher and higher screen resolution. All
I want to do is get the pictures on the disk so I can edit them with
PhotoShop.

Does anybody know of a simple USB driver to connect the camera to a
Win98 SE system?

You may have more luck with a card reader instead of connecting the camera
directly. They _should_ come the necessary software drivers even for that
ancient OS. Or at least you should be able to download them from the
manufacturers web site.

jue

Win98SE supported USB 1.1.
Old December 31st 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark B.

"Bill Bowden" wrote in message
I can't seem to locate a driver for my Win98 SE system to allow
unloading my Canon A460 pictures. The CD software that came with the
camera says I need Win2000 or higher and higher screen resolution. All
I want to do is get the pictures on the disk so I can edit them with
PhotoShop.

Does anybody know of a simple USB driver to connect the camera to a
Win98 SE system?

-Bill

As suggested, get a card reader if you can't update Windows. It will be
recognized by any OS, and transfers will be faster.

Mark

Old December 31st 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

Bill Bowden wrote:
I can't seem to locate a driver for my Win98 SE system to allow
unloading my Canon A460 pictures. The CD software that came with the
camera says I need Win2000 or higher and higher screen resolution. All
I want to do is get the pictures on the disk so I can edit them with
PhotoShop.

Does anybody know of a simple USB driver to connect the camera to a
Win98 SE system?

-Bill

I don't know how much canon has changed models. My old A40 had a driver
for win98, not sure about my A95. Canon no longer supply the driver for
the A40 on their site for win98, so it's possible that an old driver
might work. What I'm guessing is possibly the camera needs haven't
changed, canon have just stopped supporting win98. The only way to test
this is to find someone with an earlier canon cd and try it. But it's a
lot easier to just use a card reader, just make sure if you buy one to
verify it will work with win98.
Dave Cohen