The ethics of returning cameras to the dealer.

Old June 16th 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

Default The ethics of returning cameras to the dealer.

We all expect our cameras to be in pristine condition when we buy
them as new from the dealer.

How about the dealer when the customer returns a camera he
does not like?

Over on Dpreview one writer sent back a Sony camera he did
not like. He also wrote that he had performed Eddy Current tests at
his lab to see if the case was metal, or not.

Asked if he has informed the dealer of the test, no reply so far.

Maybe the NDT is safe, but would anyone really buy a new camera
that has been subjected to unknown tests?
Old June 16th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
irwell wrote:

We all expect our cameras to be in pristine condition when we buy
them as new from the dealer.

How about the dealer when the customer returns a camera he
does not like?

Over on Dpreview one writer sent back a Sony camera he did
not like. He also wrote that he had performed Eddy Current tests at
his lab to see if the case was metal, or not.

Asked if he has informed the dealer of the test, no reply so far.

Maybe the NDT is safe, but would anyone really buy a new camera
that has been subjected to unknown tests?

The camera should be sold at a discount either as used, open box, or
refurbished. I assume the merchant charged a restocking fee to offset
the cost of this return.
Old June 16th 07, 11:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joseph Meehan

irwell wrote:

Over on Dpreview one writer sent back a Sony camera he did
not like. He also wrote that he had performed Eddy Current tests at
his lab to see if the case was metal, or not.

And why would anyone really care if the case was metal or not?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old June 16th 07, 11:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ben Brugman

"Shawn Hirn" schreef in bericht
irwell wrote:

We all expect our cameras to be in pristine condition when we buy
them as new from the dealer.

How about the dealer when the customer returns a camera he
does not like?

Over on Dpreview one writer sent back a Sony camera he did
not like. He also wrote that he had performed Eddy Current tests at
his lab to see if the case was metal, or not.

Asked if he has informed the dealer of the test, no reply so far.

Maybe the NDT is safe, but would anyone really buy a new camera
that has been subjected to unknown tests?

The camera should be sold at a discount either as used, open box, or
refurbished. I assume the merchant charged a restocking fee to offset
the cost of this return.

Yes, should,
But if you want to be reasonably sure that you actually get a new camera,
buy at a place that does not accept returned camera's or only in a sealed
box.

If you want to have the freedom to return the camera, you should accept
that you can receive a camera that has been returned.

ben

Old June 16th 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

In article , Shawn
Hirn wrote:

The camera should be sold at a discount either as used, open box, or
refurbished. I assume the merchant charged a restocking fee to offset
the cost of this return.

More than "should"; there are fairly stringent federal laws forbidding
the sale of used merchandise as new. (Not that they aren't ignored at
times).

Back when I was in retail, we were small enough that we had very few
returns (less likely to return something you've actually been able to
handle and have demonstrated), and avoided restocking fees for customer
relations. We just ate the loss.
Old June 16th 07, 03:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ockham's Razor

In article ,
irwell wrote:

We all expect our cameras to be in pristine condition when we buy
them as new from the dealer.

How about the dealer when the customer returns a camera he
does not like?

Depends. Did the dealer or the camera manufacturer include the words
"satisfaction guarenteed" in any of the advertising?

I have returned things that were defective and had them replaced under
warranty.

carrying a cross."
Sinclair Lewis
Old June 16th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
george[_2_]

irwell wrote:

[...]

How about the people who "cherry pick" lenses? I've seen postings from
people who've said that they've purchased four (and returned three)
"samples" of a particular lens before they got a "good one". Should you
take the first one and deal with warranty service to "make it good"???

Old June 16th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 06:28:05 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

irwell wrote:
..

Over on Dpreview one writer sent back a Sony camera he did
not like. He also wrote that he had performed Eddy Current tests at
his lab to see if the case was metal, or not.

And why would anyone really care if the case was metal or not?

It was RichA.

Hillary Clinton gave a high school commencement
speech at Constitution Hall in Washington D.C.
on Wednesday. She loves speaking at school
graduations. Normally when she tells people
how they should live, they are not required
to sit still for it.
Old June 16th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 10:36:48 -0700, Bill Funk wrote:

And why would anyone really care if the case was metal or not?

It was RichA.

g I'm glad I wasn't eating when I saw that.

Old June 17th 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

In article , Ockham's Razor
wrote:

Depends. Did the dealer or the camera manufacturer include the words
"satisfaction guarenteed" in any of the advertising?

I rather suspect (given the current dry cleaner/lost pants lawsuit)
that the words "satisfaction guaranteed" will shortly disappear from
the earth. I'D certainly never make such an open-ended promise.

I have returned things that were defective and had them replaced under
warranty.

Different scenario. In most, but not all cases, the distributor will
take back a certain number of "bad on initial use" items from the
retailer. A store that abuses this may have the privilege revoked.