Different image processing software

Old June 9th 05, 06:05 AM
RichA

Default Different image processing software

How many different programs do you use?
How many would you likely use on one image?
Reason I ask is that quite a few people seem
to use software other than Photoshop for noise,
scaling, etc.
Don't the re-saves when going from one piece of
software to another take their toll on the image
if it's saved as .jpg each time?
-Rich
Old June 9th 05, 06:24 AM
G.T.

"RichA" wrote in message
news
How many different programs do you use?
How many would you likely use on one image?

2, Digital Photo Professional and Photoshop CS.

Reason I ask is that quite a few people seem
to use software other than Photoshop for noise,
scaling, etc.
Don't the re-saves when going from one piece of
software to another take their toll on the image
if it's saved as .jpg each time?

Why would someone do that?

Greg

Old June 9th 05, 07:24 AM
Stacey

RichA wrote:

How many different programs do you use?

Olymus Studio, PS, neat image, various PS plugins/actions, Qimage.

How many would you likely use on one image?

Depends on the image, the input device and how it was taken.

Don't the re-saves when going from one piece of
software to another take their toll on the image
if it's saved as .jpg each time?

Which is why you use lossless formats.

--

Stacey
Old June 9th 05, 11:39 AM
Sharp Shooter

Yes, if you're going to edit your JPG image, make sure you save in a
lossless format first, like TIFF, or even better, your image-editing
program's native format then combine the layers.

I use Corel PHOTO-PAINT for everything, incuding graphics for my site -
and CorelDRAW comes in very handy for the site graphics too. Corel
Graphics Suite costs less than PS (what doesn't!) and is highly
complex. I bought Neat Image but find PP does and great job anyway. I
also found that PP upsamples (interpolates) as well as PhotoZoom Pro.

Old June 9th 05, 01:53 PM
dylan

"RichA" wrote in message
news
How many different programs do you use?

PSP 6,7 & 9 (they all have advantages, disadvantages, bugs) , Neat Imge for
noise removal occasionally.

How many would you likely use on one image?

1, 2 or 3

Don't the re-saves when going from one piece of
software to another take their toll on the image
if it's saved as .jpg each time?

obviously, set jpg compression to minimum or don't use jpg for this
requirement

Old June 9th 05, 04:01 PM
Alan Browne

C Wright wrote:

them as jpegs? For some who shoots raw the image never has to be saved in
jpeg form except as perhaps a very last step before publishing on the web.
For someone who shoots originals in jpeg form the very first save on the
computer should be in a lossless format like tiff.

So, go from a compressed into 8-bit imagefile up to a lossless 16 bit
image file?

Best do as you suggested higher up and save RAW, period.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 9th 05, 04:24 PM

How good are the Corel programs at supporting various RAW and NEF
formats? For example, is Corel better at back-porting new versions of
RAW to previous program releases. (Yes, I'm inquiring about RAW 3.1 for
my 350D).

Unfortunately Adobe products have alot of secondary support in terms of
education materials, plugins, driver support, etc that I moved away
from Corel Draw in the late 1990s.

Old June 9th 05, 04:25 PM
David J Taylor

dylan wrote:
[]
PSP 6,7 & 9 (they all have advantages, disadvantages, bugs) , Neat
Imge for noise removal occasionally.

How do you find the noise reduction (nothing removes noise!) compares
between Neat Image and Paint Shop Pro 9?

David

Old June 9th 05, 04:53 PM
Alan Browne

How good are the Corel programs at supporting various RAW and NEF
formats? For example, is Corel better at back-porting new versions of
RAW to previous program releases. (Yes, I'm inquiring about RAW 3.1 for
my 350D).

I inquired a few months ago wrt the Maxxum 7D. Adobe had the RAW
pluggin for the 7D; Corel did not (I don't know about the 350D). I hate
to say that Corel, being a Canadian company, is a 2nd class outfit, but
that _is_ the case.

I've always had issues with product quality from Corel. The last good
product they made was Word Perfect, back in the 90's. (Company went
100% to MS Office in the meantime, although at the time WP was much
better than MS Word under Windows ...). No other product from Corel
has been satisfactory in any way. Some education programs for children
were particualrly bad and support from Corel to fix things was
attrocious on the better days.

Unfortunately Adobe products have alot of secondary support in terms of
education materials, plugins, driver support, etc that I moved away
from Corel Draw in the late 1990s.

MS Elements 3 does the job for me. I don't do extensive manipulation of
photos, probably use less than 5% of its capability. DL the the whole
thing for US$89. (Try it free for 30 days).

Cheers,
Alan

--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: