QMS-D1 and flash sync

Old October 14th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_2_]

Default QMS-D1 and flash sync

"eganders" wrote in message
On Oct 3, 9:28 am, eganders wrote:
I have an Canon SD-770 is and purchased two Ritz Camera's Quantaray
QMS-1 wireless flash boosters. These units have a sensor that sees
the flash from the camera and flash their own flash to sync to the
camera's flash. The problem is that digital cameras have pre-
flashes. I don't know what the pre-flash for the SD-770 is is like.
Is it one, two or more pre-flashes? All I know is that there is some
sort of pre-flash, because the QMS-1 did not work.

Now, I see that Ritz has a QMS-D1 that is supposed to work with 1 or 2
pre-flashes. I will need to order these through their catalog and I
don't know if they will work or not. Most of the reviews are
favorable, but at least one person found that it did not sync
properly.

Anyone have knowledge of how I can find out about the pre-flash
characteristics of the SD-770 IS?

The QMS-D1 works.

If you are prepared to buy a remote flash for your Canon camera, why not
just buy the Canon remote flash intended for that purpose? The HF DC-1 (if
I remember the model number correctly).

I picked one up for my A720, and it works great. It's easy to set up, and
uses circuitry intended to measure the light the same way the camera does.
It's mnnearly foolproof.

Take Care,
Dudley