SD replacing CF?

Old January 24th 08, 09:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default SD replacing CF?

Just noticed that the new DSLR from Canon (the 450) is using only SD
(not CF). Could this be the start of the end for CF?
--

Alfred Molon
Old January 24th 08, 10:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
Just noticed that the new DSLR from Canon (the 450) is using only SD
(not CF). Could this be the start of the end for CF?
--

No, already been happening, Canon is just late to the party...... FFS even
the 1DsMk2 has a SD slot.

Old January 24th 08, 10:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Boskey

"Pete D" wrote in message

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
Just noticed that the new DSLR from Canon (the 450) is using only SD
(not CF). Could this be the start of the end for CF?
--

No, already been happening, Canon is just late to the party...... FFS
even the 1DsMk2 has a SD slot.

However, the Nikon D3 has two CF slots.

Old January 24th 08, 11:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Boskey says...

However, the Nikon D3 has two CF slots.

Interesting. How much memory can you put into there - 128GB total?
--

Alfred Molon
Old January 24th 08, 11:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
DD-Diver[_2_]

"Alfred Molon" schreef in bericht
Just noticed that the new DSLR from Canon (the 450) is using only SD
(not CF). Could this be the start of the end for CF?
--

Alfred Molon

I doubt it: CF is still in the lead regarding capacity and speed, ever was,
and I think ever will be.
Size of CF is large enough to host more capacity and (future) technology,
yet small enough to fit in any decent size (semi/pro) camera. Furthermo
for pros it's virtually the industry standard! SD, in my opinion, is (only)
suitable for smaller appliances such as compact cameras and cellphones,
i.e.: appliances where size really seems to matter.

On the other hand: could be just wishfull thinking of me: sometimes I'm all
thumbs and fiddling with those small SD thingies would be asking for
trouble!

One other aspect is, that lots of laptop computers nowadays don't have
dedicated CF-slots anymore... shame!! (gone same way/time(?) as
PCMCIA-slots...)

Lucas

Old January 24th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , DD-Diver says...

I doubt it: CF is still in the lead regarding capacity and speed,

I'm not so sure about the speed. Already a couple of years ago SD was
outperforming CF in terms of speed in a DSLR.

SD, in my opinion, is (only)
suitable for smaller appliances such as compact cameras and cellphones,

SD is far too large for mobile phones. For that TransFlash cards are
used.

One other aspect is, that lots of laptop computers nowadays don't have
dedicated CF-slots anymore... shame!! (gone same way/time(?) as
PCMCIA-slots...)

But there are many notebook computers which have SD slots nowadays. It
seems that the SD slot is replacing the CF slot in notebook computers.
--

Alfred Molon
Old January 24th 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:05:34 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:

Just noticed that the new DSLR from Canon (the 450) is using only SD
(not CF). Could this be the start of the end for CF?

I've noticed over the last few months, that SD cards seem to be less
expensive than CF. I believe that is an indication of the trend. However,
to announce the 'death' of CF would be premature.
Old January 24th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ilya Zakharevich

Alfred Molon
], who wrote in article :
I'm not so sure about the speed. Already a couple of years ago SD was
outperforming CF in terms of speed in a DSLR.

As of 2 months ago: what I see in Sony/vs/Canon comparison: Sony+CF
writes 4x quickier than Canon (+, I assume, SD).

SD, in my opinion, is (only)
suitable for smaller appliances such as compact cameras and cellphones,

SD is far too large for mobile phones. For that TransFlash cards are
used.

All mobiles I saw take SD (in the micro- formfactor).

Hope this helps,
Ilya
Old January 24th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Ilya Zakharevich says...

All mobiles I saw take SD (in the micro- formfactor).

MicroSD is not the same as SD. SD cards are far too large for mobile
phones.
--

Alfred Molon
Old January 25th 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kinon O'Cann

"Rita Berkowitz" wrote in message
Alfred Molon wrote:

However, the Nikon D3 has two CF slots.

Interesting. How much memory can you put into there - 128GB total?

It really doesn't matter. I have both slots filled with 8GB cards and
each
hold over 400 RAW images.

Wow, talk about cramming a huge amount of **** in a small place!

God, what a waste of fine hardware.