Negative types?

Old October 24th 07, 11:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ed Chilada

Default Negative types?

I've got some old negative strips which I'm scanning with my new MA-21
adaptor (thanks for the advice on that one incidentally). Most work
OK, but I've come across a few strips of negative that cause it
problems. The thing is, I can't seem to identify what type it is and
surprisingly, the internet isn't helping! There's only one set of
holes, along the bottom and they're far fewer than on 35mm - only one
per shot. The images go to the top of the negative. Anyone know what
this is, so as I can ascertain whether my MA-21 is supposed to handle
it or what else I can do?

Thanks!
Old October 24th 07, 12:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Nervous Nick

On Oct 24, 5:47 am, Ed Chilada wrote:
I've got some old negative strips which I'm scanning with my new MA-21
adaptor (thanks for the advice on that one incidentally). Most work
OK, but I've come across a few strips of negative that cause it
problems. The thing is, I can't seem to identify what type it is and
surprisingly, the internet isn't helping! There's only one set of
holes, along the bottom and they're far fewer than on 35mm - only one
per shot. The images go to the top of the negative. Anyone know what
this is, so as I can ascertain whether my MA-21 is supposed to handle
it or what else I can do?

Thanks!

Might this stuff be 8mm or 16mm movie stock?

--
YOP...

Old October 24th 07, 12:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
William Hathaway via PhotoKB.com

Sounds like it might be film size 126. It used to be used in point and
shoots. It had a plastic drop in cartridge that contained both a file source
spool and a film take up spool. Similar to a type 110 cartridge but the
negative was about 35mm size.

Hope this helps a little.

William

Old October 24th 07, 12:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
JohnR66

"Ed Chilada" wrote in message

I've got some old negative strips which I'm scanning with my new MA-21
adaptor (thanks for the advice on that one incidentally). Most work
OK, but I've come across a few strips of negative that cause it
problems. The thing is, I can't seem to identify what type it is and
surprisingly, the internet isn't helping! There's only one set of
holes, along the bottom and they're far fewer than on 35mm - only one
per shot. The images go to the top of the negative. Anyone know what
this is, so as I can ascertain whether my MA-21 is supposed to handle
it or what else I can do?

Thanks!

I might be off on this, but IIRC, it might be instamatic film if the
negative is square.

Old October 24th 07, 12:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mardon

Nervous Nick wrote:

On Oct 24, 5:47 am, Ed Chilada wrote:
I've got some old negative strips which I'm scanning with my new MA-21
adaptor (thanks for the advice on that one incidentally). Most work
OK, but I've come across a few strips of negative that cause it
problems. The thing is, I can't seem to identify what type it is and
surprisingly, the internet isn't helping! There's only one set of
holes, along the bottom and they're far fewer than on 35mm - only one
per shot. The images go to the top of the negative. Anyone know what
this is, so as I can ascertain whether my MA-21 is supposed to handle
it or what else I can do?

Thanks!

Might this stuff be 8mm or 16mm movie stock?

--
YOP...

I believe that 16mm motion picture film has sprocket holes on both sides,
9.5mm has sprockets holes in the centre and both 8mm and Super 8mm have
sprocket holes on only one side.

But I suspect that the OP talking about still film negatives. If so, it
might be 126 format. That's 35 mm size but with only one row of widely
spaced sprocket holes. If the negatives are larger than 35mm, then it
might be 120 roll film or even sizes like 116 or 122.
Old October 24th 07, 12:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Bean

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:47:55 GMT, Ed Chilada
wrote:

There's only one set of
holes, along the bottom and they're far fewer than on 35mm - only one
per shot. The images go to the top of the negative. Anyone know what
this is

It sounds like film from a 126 "Instamatic" cartridge.

--
John Bean
Old October 24th 07, 01:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tomm42

On Oct 24, 6:47 am, Ed Chilada wrote:
I've got some old negative strips which I'm scanning with my new MA-21
adaptor (thanks for the advice on that one incidentally). Most work
OK, but I've come across a few strips of negative that cause it
problems. The thing is, I can't seem to identify what type it is and
surprisingly, the internet isn't helping! There's only one set of
holes, along the bottom and they're far fewer than on 35mm - only one
per shot. The images go to the top of the negative. Anyone know what
this is, so as I can ascertain whether my MA-21 is supposed to handle
it or what else I can do?

Thanks!

If you have 126 instamatic film it is the same width as 35, but has
widely placed sprockets. The infuriating thing about 126 is that the
image is 26mmx26mm too tall to use a 35 holder. The MF variants are
also nasty you almost need a 4x5 glass carrier for them.

Tom

Old October 24th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael Benveniste

"Ed Chilada" wrote:

There's only one set of holes, along the bottom and they're far fewer
than on 35mm - only one per shot. The images go to the top of the
negative. Anyone know what this is, so as I can ascertain whether
my MA-21 is supposed to handle it or what else I can do?

The two possibilities I can think of are 126, introduced in 1963 by
Kodak for their instamatic line, and 828, which Kodak used from
the 1930's to the early 1960's in a series of consumer cameras.

--
Michael Benveniste --
Spam and UCE professionally evaluated for $250. Use this email

Old October 24th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Asle Bjerva

William Hathaway via PhotoKB.com wrote:
Sounds like it might be film size 126. It used to be used in point
and shoots. It had a plastic drop in cartridge that contained both a
file source spool and a film take up spool. Similar to a type 110
cartridge but the negative was about 35mm size.

Hope this helps a little.

William

If the images are rectangular it might be APS format. The film itself is
24mm wide, with two perf. holes, one square and one rectangular between each
image. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Photo_System
--
AsleB;Oslo;Norway

Old October 24th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Seán O'Leathlóbhair

On 24 Oct, 11:47, Ed Chilada wrote:
I've got some old negative strips which I'm scanning with my new MA-21
adaptor (thanks for the advice on that one incidentally). Most work
OK, but I've come across a few strips of negative that cause it
problems. The thing is, I can't seem to identify what type it is and
surprisingly, the internet isn't helping! There's only one set of
holes, along the bottom and they're far fewer than on 35mm - only one
per shot. The images go to the top of the negative. Anyone know what
this is, so as I can ascertain whether my MA-21 is supposed to handle
it or what else I can do?

Thanks!

As several others have said, it sounds like the old 126 "Instamatic"
cartridge. Here is a Wiki page about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/126_film

--
Seán Ó Leathlóbhair