December 1 on the California Central Coast

Old December 4th 20, 11:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David_B

Default December 1 on the California Central Coast

On 04/12/2020 23:04, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 02 Dec 2020 11:35:45 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Dec 2, 2020, Alfred Molon wrote
(in om):

In article
.com,
says...

It was a beautiful, cloudless, and Sunny day today, and a balmy 72?F (22.2?C). So it was perfect for a drone flight with the Mavic Air 2. This is Morro Bay, California, flying from Tidelands Park.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-HKqNQ35/0/9f478b3f/1920/DJI_0124_MP4-1920.mp4

Very nice. I wish I could go there over Xmas. Instead it looks
like we'll be stuck here in the lockdown (Austria just closed
their border, so to go to Italy you'd have to drive over
Switzerland).

I believe that France just closed its border for those wanting to visit alpine ski resorts.

This is a little further along in that flight following a sail boat as he sails among the moored yachts.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-d66fs66/0/e2490ab1/1920/MB%20Sail-E_mp4-1920.mp4

Each time I have tried this it gets to the point where the yacht is
just starting to enter the fleet and moored yachts when up pops a
message "Video playback aborted due to a netwoor error". The image
then becomes dark and colorless but continues playing to 7'45".

It's absolutely fine here in the UK, Eric.

Have you found the same thing happening using different browsers?

Old December 4th 20, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Dec 4, 2020, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

wrote:

[...]

Others in the USA, EU seem to be able to view the videos I have posted using SmugMug, so I suspect the "netwoor error" might exist in NZ rather than on my end, or with the SmugMug servers

Savageduck

Old December 4th 20, 11:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

Each time I have tried this it gets to the point where the yacht is
just starting to enter the fleet and moored yachts when up pops a
message "Video playback aborted due to a netwoor error". The image
then becomes dark and colorless but continues playing to 7'45.

Others in the USA, EU seem to be able to view the videos I have posted using
SmugMug, so I suspect the "netwoor error" might exist in NZ rather than on my end,
or with the SmugMug servers

it's much more localized than that.
Old December 5th 20, 07:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David_B

On 04/12/2020 23:35, nospam wrote:
In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

Each time I have tried this it gets to the point where the yacht is
just starting to enter the fleet and moored yachts when up pops a
message "Video playback aborted due to a netwoor error". The image
then becomes dark and colorless but continues playing to 7'45².

Others in the USA, EU seem to be able to view the videos I have posted using
SmugMug, so I suspect the "netwoor error" might exist in NZ rather than on my end,
or with the SmugMug servers

it's much more localized than that.

What do YOU suspect is the cause, 'nospam'?

Old December 5th 20, 10:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 4 Dec 2020 at 14:55:42 GMT, "Savageduck"
wrote:

snip

This clip of a takeoff recorded in the controller should give you some idea
of
the rotor noise.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-XK4KtWF/0/5515d491/1280/LocalClip_mp4-1280.mp4

I see low noise propellers are an option - if noise is an issue, they might
help?
--
Cheers, Rob

Old December 5th 20, 02:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Dec 5, 2020, RJH wrote
(in article ):

On 4 Dec 2020 at 14:55:42 GMT,
wrote:

snip

This clip of a takeoff recorded in the controller should give you some idea
of
the rotor noise.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-XK4KtWF/0/5515d491/1280/LocalClip_mp4-1280.mp4

I see low noise propellers are an option - if noise is an issue, they might
help?

Once you are airborne and have some altitude noise is not a serious issue. As for “low noise” props for the DJI Mavic Air 2, that is just a claim from a third party seller with no proven difference when compared with the OEM DJI props.

Just because they say their props are “low noise” doesn’t mean that is true.

Savageduck

Old December 6th 20, 07:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
EllisMorgan

On 03/12/2020 13:57, Savageduck wrote:
On Dec 3, 2020, EllisMorgan wrote
(in article ):

On 02/12/2020 19:35, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

Interesting insight into sailing in Morro Bay. The variations of wind,
tide and motor(? can't see it) make progress erractic. Do you think
sailors mind breing stalked by a drone?

Morro Bay has quite an eclectic motor/sailing community, and working fishing harbor. The buoy moorings are a small representation of that variety. I am not sure if you were referring to “motor” with your “(? can’t see it)” aside, but in the marina to the South of where I was flying, and to the North along the Embarcadero you should find a few more motor powered vessels.

I shot the stills photo at about 95 ft AGL, after that most of my chase I was at 45-70 ft AGL with 35ft being my lowest altitude when I flew by 46 seconds. Even at that relatively low altitude my particular drone, unlike many others, is surprisingly quieter than many other drones. Add wind, and motion through water sounds, I doubt that the sailors were aware of my presence. If they were they showed no sign of annoyance.

I have been flying down at Morro Bay weekly since June, and I have yet to have a negative reaction to my aerial presence.

These screen shots from my flight record should give you an idea of where I was flying on December 1.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-9Brps52/0/b0e09b9f/O/IMG_3289.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-xHf5FRx/0/576532b4/O/IMG_3290.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-BZHPKdQ/0/d345fbc7/O/IMG_3291.jpg

If the sailors were aware of you they did not show it. I suppose sailors
in inshore waters are used to being overlooked. I am glad to hear the
people at Morro Bay welcome you and that your Mavic is unobtrusive.
My comment about the motor was that at times the boat appeared to be
stationary with the sails pointing downwind and still with a substantial
wake. That implies a motor or aground or an anchor. I know from
experience in the Solent (between [Old] Hampshire and the Isle of Wight)
that the best way to proceed by sail is to anchor when the tide is
against you and dash down when it turns. You gain so little trying to
tack against the tide you do better to relax and arrive a few minutes
later at the other end.

I really enjoy watching your videos. My father spent a couple of years
in the early nineteen-sixties as British Liaison Officer at Fort Ord a
few miles north of you. So anything about that part of California
catches my eye. Thank you.

Some drones are very noisy and intrusive. I am thinking about one that
launched near a garden I was sitting in quite recently. It cruised
around low and noisy over several other neqaby gardens for a
considerable time. Much more intrusive than mowing the lawn or cutting
the hedge.

Old December 6th 20, 12:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Dec 5, 2020, EllisMorgan wrote
(in article ):

[...]

The tide at Morro Bay has quite an influence when it is running, the wind that day was blowing at about 10-12 MPH with 15-20 MPH gusts, and from my observation, the boat I was trailing was not motorized, and was not using anything other than sail for propulsion. Sailing, or boating of any kind on the Solent, from what I understand, requires good seamanship, and knowledge of the local water.

I really enjoy watching your videos. My father spent a couple of years
in the early nineteen-sixties as British Liaison Officer at Fort Ord a
few miles north of you. So anything about that part of California
catches my eye. Thank you.

Fort Ord closed as a military base in 1994, and has been divided up as a civilian use nature reserve, with some of the property assigned as the campus of the California State University Monterey Bay, Fort Ord Dunes State Park, and some housing & commercial development. The military still maintains some offices with military housing, a Veterans transition center, some of the long abandoned housing has been used for military & law enforcement training. There are big areas of the old Fort that are still subject to environmental clean up. That abandoned housing area has also been used by the “Myth Busters” TV show as a safe test area.

I know theSan Luis Obispo, Monterey, and Santa Cruz County areas very well, having lived, and worked here for some 36 years. Before that I was in Upstate New York. All I can say is this is a good place to retire, and I am quite happy here.

Some drones are very noisy and intrusive. I am thinking about one that
launched near a garden I was sitting in quite recently. It cruised
around low and noisy over several other neqaby gardens for a
considerable time. Much more intrusive than mowing the lawn or cutting
the hedge.

I wouldn’t want to have any drone hovering, or flying near me at anything between eye level to 25-30 ft. That I would not call unobtrusive. However, once I get to 35-45 ft. the rotor noise is barely noticeable.

Savageduck

Old December 6th 20, 12:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 03/12/2020 18:41, Savageduck wrote:

Does flying over water ever unnerve you, given the value of the drone?

When I first started I was aware of the risks of flying over water, and a bit wary as a result. Over time I have become much more confident with both the tech & capability of the drone, and my slowly improving flying skills.

My scariest flight was #4 from my back deck when I got a bit overconfident, and lost the signal between the drone and my controller. The auto return to home kicked in, and I was saved from a crash into the signal blocking hill by the obstacle avoidance sensors in the drone.

The video linked below demonstrates that scary, near miss incident.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-Jv5psp9/0/4b99207a/1920/NearMiss-1920.mp4

Superb illustration! Did it stop at that point, now that it knew you
were in communication, or did it fly itself all the way home?
Old December 6th 20, 01:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Dec 6, 2020, newshound wrote
(in ):

[...]

The Auto Return To Home (RTH) was operating, and it would have flown home and landed automatically. However, at that point, once I had reestablished communication I cancelled the RTH and continued with a less risky local flight before returning home.

Savageduck