iPad use with Catalina

Old October 26th 19, 06:53 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad,uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
The Older Gentleman

Default iPad use with Catalina

Savageduck wrote:

On Oct 25, 2019, The Older Gentleman wrote
(in article1og0tro.ly1yzh1jrntobN%totallydeadmailbox@ yahoo.co.uk):

nospam wrote:

there was a lot of darkroom manipulation with film, more so than the
digital equivalent today because the cameras were nowhere near as
capable

Even I can recognise this as total ********, and I learned how to take
pix on an old Zenit E.

That Zenit E was what you learned on, in the same way I learned on a Brownie
and an Argus C3, but I do not use them today. What do you use for your
photography today?

Got an extensive Nikon collection: D200, 300S and 500 bodies, an old
film F1000, and loads of lenses up to a very nice Sigma 150-500. And a
very nice Nikkor 80-200 F2.8, just bought from Grays.

A Leica M6, simply for the joy of using it. Except for the viewing
screen which really is trash. A Fuji EXR-whatever-it's-called with a
35-1000 optical zoom: that was a waste of money, really. It's just too
slow to focus, and the body is starting to dissolve.

Oh, and an old-school mechanical Olympus Trip in perfect order, found in
a boot sale for £5. A Nikon and a Sony AF compact. A couple of old film
AF compacts somewhere..... Pentax and Olympus,IIRC.

The Zenit, like the Praktika, was the ideal tool to learn about the
relationship between shutter speed, aperture, ASA rating and depth of
field. Nobody seems to learn about it these days. I apply the lessons to
the Leica, as (of course) it's not AF.

--
BMW K1600GTL; Kawasaki Ninja H2, Yamaha 660 Ténéré;
Guzzi Le Mans Mk.2; CD200x2, CB400F, Suzuki Address
Old October 26th 19, 06:53 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad,uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
The Older Gentleman

sms wrote:

It sounds like Audacity will be fixed to work on Catalina. It's another
awesome app that I use a lot.

On the free trial right now and will stump up when the trial ends.

Old October 26th 19, 09:23 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 25/10/2019 21:17, The Older Gentleman wrote:
nospam wrote:

there was a lot of darkroom manipulation with film, more so than the
digital equivalent today because the cameras were nowhere near as
capable

Even I can recognise this as total ********, and I learned how to take
pix on an old Zenit E.

+1. Happy days :-)

--
Cheers, Rob
Old October 26th 19, 09:23 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 2019-10-25, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 25, 2019, Incubus wrote
(in article ):

You can always tell those who rely on their Photoshop crutch just a bit too
much - they get angry when you talk about not needing it.

Photoshop, and the various other digital editor, image processing software
are just tools each of which require a learning investment on the part of the
user. In much the same way the wet darkroom that we used in the past (...and
some continue to use today) required a learning investment. Neither the wet,
nor the digital darkroom is any guarantee that the user will be capable of
producing a photographic image that is pleasing to the viewer.

Neither of them, wet, or digital darkroom are crutches which will fix the
work of a poor photographer.

What all of them can do, regardless of whether it is a wet darkroom,
Photoshop, Lightroom, Capture One, DxO PhotoLab, Affinity Photo, or even
Picasa, is allow the photographer who has learned how to properly use any of
those tools, to produce images which standout from the crowd of snapshots in
a way the Kodak Kiosk, Walmart, or Costco never could.

The problem is that digitally edited files tend to have a certain look to them,
particularly given the penchant people have for processing to the point that
images look unnatural. It has reached the point where a properly exposed photo
taken straight out of camera stands out more than one that has been edited to
"perfection". This isn't just user error; it is endemic.

Your opinion, fine. I think a good picture is a good picture.

--
Cheers, Rob
Old October 26th 19, 09:36 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 25/10/2019 21:26, sms wrote:
On 10/23/2019 6:29 PM, newshound wrote:

snip

It sounds like Audacity will be fixed to work on Catalina. It's another
awesome app that I use a lot.

It's been ready a while - I can confirm it works in Catalina (2.3.1 onwards)

--
Cheers, Rob
Old October 26th 19, 10:46 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 2019-10-25, sms wrote:
On 10/23/2019 6:29 PM, newshound wrote:

snip

And it is disappointing to find that a significant chunk of my
applications no longer work, including Audacity and Picasa.

Audacity has a suggestion for a workaround that they say has worked for
some users:
https://www.audacityteam.org/macos-10-15-catalina-is-not-yet-supported-by-audacity/.

There is no solution for Picasa which is really too bad since it was an
excellent photo editor.

There is a solution: learn to frame and expose photos correctly in
the first
instance.Â* Practice with a film camera if you really want to learn.

I rather suspect I was using film cameras before you were born.

I read about film in my history book.

My grandfather's encyclopaedia (so, around 1900) described a camera as
'An obsolete image capture device'.

I wonder (now) if that was just a useless book, or whether the camera
was going through some sort of crisis.

--
Cheers, Rob
Old October 26th 19, 01:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

nospam wrote:

there was a lot of darkroom manipulation with film, more so than the
digital equivalent today because the cameras were nowhere near as
capable

Even I can recognise this as total ********, and I learned how to take
pix on an old Zenit E.

Funny enough that was the first SLR I ever handled - it wasn't mine, but
a friend was into photography at school, and I used to help him out with
it a lot, including developing in the darkroom.

I got an Olympus OM-10 as my first SLR.

Having said that, some of my favourite photos over time (simply because
of the memories they have) were with cheap old 110 cartridge film cameras.

Back in my high school days, I shot photos of the local football games
for the local weekly newspaper. Nearly all were night games, and I used
a Koni Omega (6cm x 7cm) with a potato masher strobe. The one afternoon
game, I shot a Kodak Tele-Instamatic 110 pocket camera, with B&W film. I
asked the editor what he thought of the shots, and he just said they are
the usual good quality; here's your money.

--
Ken Hart

Old October 26th 19, 02:20 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad,uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article o.uk, The
Older Gentleman wrote:

The Zenit, like the Praktika, was the ideal tool to learn about the
relationship between shutter speed, aperture, ASA rating and depth of
field.

actually, a digital camera is a *much* better tool for learning that
and quite a bit more.

Nobody seems to learn about it these days. I apply the lessons to
the Leica, as (of course) it's not AF.

plenty of people didn't learn about it with film.
Old October 26th 19, 03:00 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 26/10/2019 14:20, nospam wrote:
In article o.uk, The
Older Gentleman wrote:

The Zenit, like the Praktika, was the ideal tool to learn about the
relationship between shutter speed, aperture, ASA rating and depth of
field.

actually, a digital camera is a *much* better tool for learning that
and quite a bit more.

*was*

--
Cheers, Rob
Old October 26th 19, 03:04 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , RJH
wrote:

The Zenit, like the Praktika, was the ideal tool to learn about the
relationship between shutter speed, aperture, ASA rating and depth of
field.

actually, a digital camera is a *much* better tool for learning that
and quite a bit more.

*was*

still is, very much so.