Friendly Eyes

Old June 9th 13, 05:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

Default Friendly Eyes

On 2013-06-08 16:52:48 -0700, "Dudley Hanks"
said:

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

On 2013.06.08 18:42 , Dudley Hanks wrote:

I took my three differently exposed versions and combined them into this:
http://www.blind-apertures.ca/pics/F...sComposite.jpg

What do you think?

I'm at the "whatever" stage - other than the last crop I suggested + the
'duck's lightening of the eyes being the best of the image's potential
IMO.

Well, thanks to you and SD for your thoughts, anyway.

I guess, beauty truly is in the mind of the beholder.

Unfortunately, due to circumstances, you are not a typical "beholder".
Both Alan, and I have a reasonable understanding of can make an
ordinary snapshot, a little bit more appealing. Also consider, our
taste might not be the best for your circumstances, but it is honest.
As you invited comment, Alan & I provided mild constructive criticism
and suggestions, all with good intent.

I am guessing that the feedback you might get from those close to you
might well be tempered good intentions and encouragement.

What I believe is important with your work, is that it should be lifted
from the average shot where unimpaired sighted viewers might just say,
"Oh! Isn't that great? A blind guy is into photography", to "What great
shots!" without a thought to the hardship the photographer had to
overcome, or are even aware of your blindness.

Check the work of these blind/visually impaired photographers, their
photographic interpretations are interesting and captivating regardless
of what they have overcome. You should join their ranks.
http://www.time.com/time/photogaller...897093,00.html

Just heard back from a gallery, and it seems like pics of Mich are of keen
interest to others.

Great!

The curator wants to see an exhibit of 12 or more shots by fall. Should
be interesting putting it together.

Take Care,
Dudley

Just don't be satisfied with the ordinary, and you are more than
welcome to test fly some of your stuff with us. You will get honest
commentary from some of us.

SD, that's why I enjoy this group as much as I do, and that's why my work
has improved as much as it has.

If folks want to rip my work to shreds, great. I learn from their feedback,
as long as their feedback gives me something to work with. If it's just a
snide remark or brush off, I dig a bit deeper and try to motivate 'em enough
to unambiguously tell me what they feel.

Sometimes, I **** them off, and they shut me out; other times, they think a
bit and give me something I can work with.

Either way, I don't settle for the ordinary.

I hope people realize this works both ways.

I benefit because others act as my eyes, sort of like "seeing eye"
photographers. And, they benefit because they become a bit more articulate
in expressing their opinions / beliefs, maybe they even get to understand
themselves and their tastes a bit better for the exercise.

I have never shied away from giving credit to those who have worked with me
(especially the members of this group), but I hope to gget a bit of respect
in return. And, by "respect", I don't mean a bunch of gushing praise about
how motivating and inspiring it is for a blind guy to try to do something
like this. On the contrary, I'd rather get a hard-nosed appraisal of an
image with something concrete for me to learn from.

As for yourself, you'll likely never know how much your messages have
helped. But, I hope you understand how much I appreciate the time you've
taken to respond to my posted pics and questions.

For those who get bored with all this blind photographer crap, use your kill
file.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old June 9th 13, 05:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message ...

Giganews wrote:
http://www.blind-apertures.ca/pics/FriendlyEyes.jpg

Comments welcome / appreciated ...

Take Care,
Dudley

Dogs and horses often have mucus in the corner of their eyes. I found it a
distraction in this case. Maybe you could clean them by touch before
shooting.

On my monitor the eyes also looked rather dark (which might be OK if you are
going for mysterious but not for friendly) and I couldn't see much detail in
them, I would have liked more light on them.

David

Actually, that's something I constantly struggle with...

In Mich's case, he recieves medication periodically for a skin / alergy
condition that causes his eyes to dry out. I'm always cleaning the corners
of his eyes.

I should have done it before this shoot, but this was one of those spur of
the moment things where I was just taking some practice shots.

Of course, when we're not trying to do anything special, that's when we
usually do some of our best work... sort of a reversal on Murphy's Law.

Thanks for reminding me of that preshoot precaution. I'm working on a check
list and I'll make sure I add that near the top.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old June 9th 13, 06:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Giganews wrote:
[...]

Check my version. I fixed that little eye-goop in post with the healing brush.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...H-eyes-2cw.jpg

Old June 9th 13, 06:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

On 2013-06-08 21:51:14 -0700, "Dudley Hanks"

Giganews wrote:
[...]

Gotta love Adobe, and a masterful hand ...

Take Care,
Dudley

Old June 9th 13, 08:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 08/06/2013 02:59, Giganews wrote:
http://www.blind-apertures.ca/pics/FriendlyEyes.jpg

Comments welcome / appreciated ...

Working fine now - excellent shot!
--
Cheers,
David
Old June 9th 13, 08:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 08/06/2013 17:57, Savageduck wrote:
[]
Without the crop, I made some selective adjustments around the eye to
come up with this version:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil.../DH-eyes-2.jpg

To me, those eyes are too bright, but I agree that a reflector may have
helped to lighten just a little. They were a shade dark in the
original. I don't like the crops, though, you almost lose the context
of what the subject is.
--
Cheers,
David