shadow from light -removed

Old April 1st 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

Default shadow from light -removed

How I can erase shadows from sun light on the photograps show persons.I have
got photoshop 6.0 and I don't know how to do.
Thank You for Your help.

Old April 2nd 07, 06:08 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature
Al Denelsbeck

wrote in :

How I can erase shadows from sun light on the photograps show
persons.I have got photoshop 6.0 and I don't know how to do.
Thank You for Your help.

Phew! You are NOT tackling a simple task here.

Okay, first answer, which has to be said - avoid getting photos
like that in the first place. Fill-flash, a reflector, or not shooting in
such conditions is definitely the way to go.

That said, we'll move to actually answering your question. Remember
that shadows do three things - reduce light, reduce color depth
(saturation), and change the color register, making it more blue. You
can't simply lighten the patches because they are not lit with the same
spectrum of light nor has the images captured the same range of colors.

So what you have to do is select the shadow areas (the magic wand
tool may help, but I like using the polygonal lassoo) and feathering the
edges by an adequate amount - this will vary depending on how sharp the
shadows are and what resolution the image is. Always work on a copy and
check your progress frequently. I tend to save every ten or so steps
under a new filename so I can always step back easily to just about any
point in the process.

Start with lightening the shadow patches, then boosting the
contrast. Keep a close eye on the lit portions of the original, and bear
in mind that you do not have to remove the shadows entirely, simply
redcue their impact until they are not distracting.

Then you'll need to alter the color register a bit, and Curves is a
better tool for this, but it helps if you're familiar with how it works.
Increase yellow (which reduces blue) and probably boost red slightly as
well.

You may well need to boost saturation in here too. It's very easy
to overcompensate on changes like this, so go with smaller changes at
first. And it also helps to go away from it for a short while and come
back, to refresh your eyes to the image - it allows you to see the
obvious errors easier.

If you know how to work with layer masks (always a handy
technique), you can skip the wand/lassoo selection and work directly on a
copy layer, then blend it to the original with both layer masking and
opacity adjustments.

Not easy, so take your time. Good luck with it!

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net