Can you go lens... then Circular Polarizer Fitler... then "Petal" type hood?

Old January 13th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ryan Bygland

Default Can you go lens... then Circular Polarizer Fitler... then "Petal" type hood?

I am thinking of buying Canon EW-78BII Lens Hood for EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6
IS Lens. Can you attach the circular polarizer filter to the lens and then
put the hood on and use the hood to adjust the filter or with this being
"Petal" shape hood is it not possible. The thought was you might be able to
do counter twisting to keep the hood placement. If you place the filter in
the hood... how easy is it to get your hand in the hood to adjust the
circular polarizer filter?

Old January 13th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

Ryan Bygland wrote:
I am thinking of buying Canon EW-78BII Lens Hood for EF 28-135mm
f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens. Can you attach the circular polarizer filter to
the lens and then put the hood on and use the hood to adjust the
filter or with this being "Petal" shape hood is it not possible. The
thought was you might be able to do counter twisting to keep the hood
placement. If you place the filter in the hood... how easy is it to
get your hand in the hood to adjust the circular polarizer filter?

No, you can't use the hood to turn the filter. Canon hoods mount behind the
filters...not TO them.

It's not usually very easy to adjust with a hood on, but it partly depends
on the surfact of the rotation on the filter. Some filters have grip
grooves on the front...others on the sides. My super slim filters would be
hard to turn with a hood on because there's very little to grip.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 13th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
King Sardon

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:15:54 -0800, "Ryan Bygland"
wrote:

I am thinking of buying Canon EW-78BII Lens Hood for EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6
IS Lens. Can you attach the circular polarizer filter to the lens and then
put the hood on and use the hood to adjust the filter or with this being
"Petal" shape hood is it not possible. The thought was you might be able to
do counter twisting to keep the hood placement. If you place the filter in
the hood... how easy is it to get your hand in the hood to adjust the
circular polarizer filter?

Consider one of the rubber lens hoods that can be set for partial
collapse. They are cheaper than the Canon lens hoods and especially
useful for standard zooms. Pop the hood out all the way for the longer
settings, and set it half-way for normal focal lengths. Collapse it
all the way for the widest setting and to put the camera away.

Those hoods usually screw into the filter, so you could turn the
polarizer with it.

KS
Old January 13th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Mitchum

Ryan Bygland wrote:

I am thinking of buying Canon EW-78BII Lens Hood for EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6
IS Lens. Can you attach the circular polarizer filter to the lens and then
put the hood on and use the hood to adjust the filter or with this being
"Petal" shape hood is it not possible. The thought was you might be able to
do counter twisting to keep the hood placement. If you place the filter in
the hood... how easy is it to get your hand in the hood to adjust the
circular polarizer filter?

Most Pentax lenses have a little hatch on the side of the hood so you
can get your finger in there and turn the polarizer. I'm surprised more
manufacturers don't do this.

In a lot of situations, though, you can just take off the bayonet hood,
adjust the filter, and then put the hood back on if you want.
Old January 14th 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Xatnep

Paul Mitchum wrote:
Ryan Bygland wrote:

I am thinking of buying Canon EW-78BII Lens Hood for EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6
IS Lens. Can you attach the circular polarizer filter to the lens and then
put the hood on and use the hood to adjust the filter or with this being
"Petal" shape hood is it not possible. The thought was you might be able to
do counter twisting to keep the hood placement. If you place the filter in
the hood... how easy is it to get your hand in the hood to adjust the
circular polarizer filter?

Most Pentax lenses have a little hatch on the side of the hood so you
can get your finger in there and turn the polarizer. I'm surprised more
manufacturers don't do this.

Canon are too tight to even include the hoods with their lenses, so it
is no surprise that they don't think of things like the hatch on the hood.

Old January 14th 07, 05:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Xatnep wrote:
Paul Mitchum wrote:

Most Pentax lenses have a little hatch on the side of the hood so you
can get your finger in there and turn the polarizer. I'm surprised more
manufacturers don't do this.

Canon are too tight to even include the hoods with their lenses, so it
is no surprise that they don't think of things like the hatch on the hood.

You might get your facts straight, Mr. Pentax, before making stupid
remarks.

--
lsmft

I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met.
[Stephen Wright]
Old January 14th 07, 06:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Skip

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
. ..
Xatnep wrote:
Paul Mitchum wrote:

Most Pentax lenses have a little hatch on the side of the hood so you
can get your finger in there and turn the polarizer. I'm surprised more
manufacturers don't do this.

Canon are too tight to even include the hoods with their lenses, so it is
no surprise that they don't think of things like the hatch on the hood.

You might get your facts straight, Mr. Pentax, before making stupid
remarks.

Well, they don't include hoods with any but their "L" lenses, as far as I
know.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old January 14th 07, 07:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

Xatnep wrote:
Paul Mitchum wrote:
Ryan Bygland wrote:

I am thinking of buying Canon EW-78BII Lens Hood for EF 28-135mm
f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens. Can you attach the circular polarizer filter
to the lens and then put the hood on and use the hood to adjust the
filter or with this being "Petal" shape hood is it not possible. The
thought was you might be able to do counter twisting to keep
the hood placement. If you place the filter in the hood... how
easy is it to get your hand in the hood to adjust the circular
polarizer filter?

Most Pentax lenses have a little hatch on the side of the hood so you
can get your finger in there and turn the polarizer. I'm surprised
more manufacturers don't do this.

Canon are too tight to even include the hoods with their lenses, so it
is no surprise that they don't think of things like the hatch on the
hood.

Actually, every Canon L lens comes with a lens hood.
Most people who buy consumer lenses don't care to use them anyway, and for
those that do...it's usually about $20-25 for teh custom hood.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 14th 07, 07:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Xatnep wrote:
Paul Mitchum wrote:
Most Pentax lenses have a little hatch on the side of the hood so you
can get your finger in there and turn the polarizer. I'm surprised more
manufacturers don't do this.
Canon are too tight to even include the hoods with their lenses, so it is
no surprise that they don't think of things like the hatch on the hood.

You might get your facts straight, Mr. Pentax, before making stupid
remarks.

Well, they don't include hoods with any but their "L" lenses, as far as I
know.

AFAIK, also. But he made a blanket statement that's wrong on its face.

--
john mcwilliams
Old January 14th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Xatnep

John McWilliams wrote:
Xatnep wrote:
Paul Mitchum wrote:

Most Pentax lenses have a little hatch on the side of the hood so you
can get your finger in there and turn the polarizer. I'm surprised more
manufacturers don't do this.

Canon are too tight to even include the hoods with their lenses, so it
is no surprise that they don't think of things like the hatch on the
hood.

You might get your facts straight, Mr. Pentax, before making stupid
remarks.

Ok, sorry - I should have said "Canon are too tight to even include
hoods with their lenses, except the L series. The L series are canon's
high end lenses, which finally include things like hoods and pouches
that are included standard on most other manufacturer's entire range of
lenses". Makes you wonder where they get off though charging $20-$50 for
a piece of plastic that would probably cost about 10c to make in china,
which pretty much everyone else throws in for free. Especially when a
hood can have such a bearing on the quality of the photo. Or maybe it is
a smart move... Punter buys gold ring lens, finds the contrast
terrible and lots of flare spots and instead of thinking "I need a hood"
he thinks "I need an L lens".