Diopters and "apparent focusing distance"

Old June 5th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Diopters and "apparent focusing distance"

Like many people in middle and and beyond, I have difficulty focusing
with my eye's lens.
Basically, my eyeglasses do the focusing. With my street glasses,
infinity is sharp; closer than about 20 feet, it gets fuzzy.

Cameras often display the image as if it were about 40 inches away. For
folks like me, that's not good. I have film cameras that have add-on or
adjustable diopters.

But what about point-and-shoot digital cameras? I want one---not an SLR
but a truly pocketable camera, and I'm looking for good image quality.
But when I have looked through the viewfinders (friends' Canon and
Kodak models), it isn't good.

Does anyone know the scoop? Am I going to be reduced to trying to look
at the LCD on that back through the small lenses at the bottom of my
bifocals?

Old June 5th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 5 Jun 2006 10:13:58 -0700, Little John wrote:
Like many people in middle and and beyond, I have difficulty focusing
with my eye's lens.
Basically, my eyeglasses do the focusing. With my street glasses,
infinity is sharp; closer than about 20 feet, it gets fuzzy.

Cameras often display the image as if it were about 40 inches away. For
folks like me, that's not good. I have film cameras that have add-on or
adjustable diopters.

But what about point-and-shoot digital cameras? I want one---not an SLR
but a truly pocketable camera, and I'm looking for good image quality.
But when I have looked through the viewfinders (friends' Canon and
Kodak models), it isn't good.

Does anyone know the scoop? Am I going to be reduced to trying to look
at the LCD on that back through the small lenses at the bottom of my
bifocals?

A reasonable number of point&shoots have viewfinders with adjustable
diopter correction. It seems to be most common on the larger (and more
expensive) models; I don't know if anything small enough to be called
pocketable has one.

-dms
Old June 5th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Little John wrote:

Like many people in middle and and beyond, I have difficulty focusing
with my eye's lens.
Basically, my eyeglasses do the focusing. With my street glasses,
infinity is sharp; closer than about 20 feet, it gets fuzzy.

Cameras often display the image as if it were about 40 inches away. For
folks like me, that's not good. I have film cameras that have add-on or
adjustable diopters.

But what about point-and-shoot digital cameras? I want one---not an SLR
but a truly pocketable camera, and I'm looking for good image quality.
But when I have looked through the viewfinders (friends' Canon and
Kodak models), it isn't good.

Does anyone know the scoop? Am I going to be reduced to trying to look
at the LCD on that back through the small lenses at the bottom of my
bifocals?

I've got the same problem, but it isn't actually all that bad because
you don't REALLY have to see whether the subject is in focus or not.
With the Camera on "Auto", it WILL be in focus if the camera gives you
the OK signal. With manual focus, it's a different story. But I rarely
use manual focus.
Nevertheless, I moved up to a Panasonic FZ15 which has a very effective
diopter correction on its EVF viewer.
BTW, Panny's FZ series are killer cameras and are REALLY great values.
Bob Williams

Old June 5th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Little John wrote:

Like many people in middle and and beyond, I have difficulty focusing
with my eye's lens.
Basically, my eyeglasses do the focusing. With my street glasses,
infinity is sharp; closer than about 20 feet, it gets fuzzy.

Cameras often display the image as if it were about 40 inches away. For
folks like me, that's not good. I have film cameras that have add-on or
adjustable diopters.

But what about point-and-shoot digital cameras? I want one---not an SLR
but a truly pocketable camera, and I'm looking for good image quality.
But when I have looked through the viewfinders (friends' Canon and
Kodak models), it isn't good.

Does anyone know the scoop? Am I going to be reduced to trying to look
at the LCD on that back through the small lenses at the bottom of my
bifocals?

Every point and shoot I've looked at that has a viewfinder has a diopter
adjustment on the viewfinder. The DSLRs the same, however some also allow
auxiliary lenses to be installed.

But if it's one of the thin designs that doesn't make a pocket bulge they
often don't have viewfinders at all, you're expected to use the LCD.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate