A far-sighted man in 1967 once said:

Old January 13th 18, 03:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default A far-sighted man in 1967 once said:

On Jan 12, 2018, RichA wrote
(in ):

Infinity: American Society for Magazine Photographers:
Lee C. Deighton, Chairman, The Macmillan Company, Aug. 1967: (Two years
before any internet existed).

"I begin by speaking of the threat of a nationalized information system. I
wish now to make an important distinction. I wish to distinguish between a
nation-wide information system base upon computers or television on the one
hand and a nationalized system on the other. (Net neutrality IS
nationalization, in reality). A nation-wide system can exist as a partnership
between government and private industry. In a nationalized system the
products of industry are expropriated.
It is necessary at this point to review the capability of nation-wide
systems. Public debate has informed us recently of plans for a
government-endowed public television corporation that could provide programs
simultaneously via satellites to the entire country. Substantial sums of
money would be available for creating programs. Presumably, a teeny-weeny
part of these sums could be used to purchase transmission rights from
copyright owners.
Similarly, it is proposed that thousands of computers be linked to each other
and hundreds of thousands of consoles located in schoolrooms, libraries,
laboratories, dormatories and scholar's study. The dream is that every user,
by pressing the proper button, can have the world's literature or the latest
technical information displayed upon his console screen. This is a dream, but
a powerful dream. No sensible man can oppose it.

No sensible man can oppose it?? I guess back in 1967 he hadn’t heard of
that guy with bone spur, and hair problems.

The problem is how to achieve this dream without destroying deeply-rooted
values of our society.

For that guy with bone spur, and hair issues, destroying deeply-rooted values
of our society is no problem at all.

A nationalized information system the pre-empts the
work of authors and publishers would destroy these values. In a nationalized
system, there is no place for the private sector. The system would inevitably
operate as a government bureaucracy, and it would control what goes into the
system.

Savageduck

Old January 13th 18, 01:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
RichA wrote:

Net neutrality
was a way for government to gain complete control (eventually) over the
internet. It was also illogical since every other service I know of works
off the idea that if you pay more, you get more.

you clearly have *zero* understanding of net neutrality.
Old January 16th 18, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Anonymous Remailer (austria)

In article
RichA wrote:

I think he agrees with Trump's position more than you think. Net neutrality was a way for government to gain complete control (eventually) over the internet. It was also illogical since every other service I know of works off the idea that if you pay more, you get more.

Please remind me, what was the name of that private company that
had DARPA invent DARPAnet?

LOL!

Old January 16th 18, 03:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"RichA" wrote

How about the WWW?

What about it? There's a basic system of organization
and oversight. For just a few dollars per month
you can have your own front door on the Internet --
a website of any size about anything you like. Your
only limitation is that you can't break laws and you
have to conform to some standards if you want
people to be able to see your website.
The point of net neutrality is that people should be
able to reach www.richa.com just as easily as they
can reach www.buy_more_stuff_at_a_giant_store.com.