Which EF 70-300 IS is the best?

Old October 28th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature
Bill H.

Default Which EF 70-300 IS is the best?

I am considering the Canon EF 70-300 IS USM lens, but do not if the DO
verision is worth twice the money. Any opinions?

Old November 1st 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature
Cisco Kid

Bill H. wrote:
I am considering the Canon EF 70-300 IS USM lens, but do not if the DO
verision is worth twice the money. Any opinions?

What is a DO version? If you ask me 70-300 is too large. But the
quality of the lens is mostly measure in the lowest f-stop possible. If
your main subjects are fast moving objects like race cars or athletes -
or you are shooting wildlife - then a pro model with the lowest
possible f-stop is the best. If you do not need the fastest zoom
lenses, then go for the less expensive lens.

Old November 13th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature
Arnor

Hi Bill,

I am considering the Canon EF 70-300 IS USM lens, but do not if the DO
verision is worth twice the money. Any opinions?

Can't say as I don't know but I found this link on Canon website that
explains DO:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...DtlAct&id=2632

I also find Bob Atkins review of the 70-300mm on photo.net at
http://photo.net/equipment/canon/70-300is/review.html which suggest
that performance of the DO is better at 300mm than the original
(non-DO) but can cause undesirable image effects under certain
circumstances. See also David Hay's review of the 70-300mm DO at
http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/70-300do/ (this looks to be very
indepth review and he goes into how the DO work etc.)

I have been using the old, original type II or III non-IS lens for
almost a year and I like it, but you better bring a tripod It is not
very sharp at 300 for distance objects, but I have taken some nice
macro photos with it.

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas