Add EXIF Info to Sony Camera Thumbnails for Kodak Smart Picture Frame

Old July 29th 04, 03:38 AM
Karl Burrows

Default Add EXIF Info to Sony Camera Thumbnails for Kodak Smart Picture Frame

I borrowed a Sony DCSV1 and took some pictures in Hawaii last fall. I
created smaller images (640x480) to load on a Kodak Smart Picture Frame. I
used a thumbmaker to reduce the images with no problems, but the picture
frame will not read the images. They read fine from my Kodak DX6490 using
the same thumbmaker, so I think it is a problem with the EXIF tags. Is this
a Sony issue or is there something else? There appears to be all the EXIF
on the pictures, but maybe Sony in there ultimate wisdom has changed
something on the picture to make it unreadable?

I have tried some freeware like Exifer and Easy Thumbnails, but none seem to
help. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Old July 29th 04, 07:44 AM
David J Taylor

Karl Burrows wrote:
I borrowed a Sony DCSV1 and took some pictures in Hawaii last fall. I
created smaller images (640x480) to load on a Kodak Smart Picture
Frame. I used a thumbmaker to reduce the images with no problems,
but the picture frame will not read the images. They read fine from
my Kodak DX6490 using the same thumbmaker, so I think it is a problem
with the EXIF tags. Is this a Sony issue or is there something else?
There appears to be all the EXIF on the pictures, but maybe Sony in
there ultimate wisdom has changed something on the picture to make it
unreadable?

I have tried some freeware like Exifer and Easy Thumbnails, but none
seem to help. Any thoughts? Thanks!

You could try my TVwriter softwa

http://www.satsignal.net = Image Utilities, TVwriter.

I don't know if it will work in your particular application, though, as I
don't have a Kodak Smart Picture Frame.

Cheers,
David

Old July 29th 04, 07:02 PM
Ron Baird

Greetings Karl,

Actually, Karl, there is no need to create smaller images for the Smart
Frame. Rather, it will reduce the images for use for you. You can simply
insert a memory card with images on it and they will display correctly,
regardless of size. Give it a try.

Talk to you soon, Karl,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Old July 31st 04, 06:42 AM
Karl Burrows

It just takes forever for them to load if I don't reduce them.

I did find a program that will create the EXIF thumbnail. Apparently, if I
edit the images using most software, it keeps the EXIF info, but removes the
thumbnail for some reason. I used Exifer to create the EXIF thumbnails and
it works perfectly.

I also realized that newer CF cards are formatted using FAT32. This was
also a problems and changing them to just FAT also helped.

Old August 2nd 04, 06:19 PM
Ron Baird

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the note. Glad you found a program for yourself.

Just a note about formatting, especially in a camera. Some memory cards
that have been formatted in a card reader using the Windows FAT32 file
system may encounter problems, including messages on the camera's LCD that
the card needs to be formatted or that the "Card is slow." Occasionally a
brand new memory card will display this irregularity when it is first used.

If you encounter either of these issues in your KODAK EASYSHARE Digital
Camera, and the memory cards have been formatted using the FAT32 file
system, there are two easy work-arounds:

1) If the card was formatted in a card reader using the FAT32 file system,
simply reformat the card in the reader and select the FAT file system.
(This is available as a formatting option on Windows 2000, ME and XP.)

2) If you do not have a card reader, simply format the card in the camera
itself using the Setup Menu selection for formatting the memory card.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company