problem: manual miror lens + digital SLR not working . . .

Old December 25th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Bean

Default problem: manual miror lens + digital SLR not working . . .

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 12:01:33 -0000, "Me"
wrote:

Help! I'm in deep trouble - have got our lad a manual focus 500mm Tokina
mirror lens to go with his new Samsung gx1-L digital slr. BUT it's Christmas
day and we've now got a teenager wandering around claiming that it's not a
good idea for a present as it doesn't work!!! He seems to think that its a
problem with the metal connecting flange/plate on the mirror lens contacting
the metal contact buttons on the camera body that is causing the camera to
go apoplectic... any ideas please before he brains me with the mirror
lens???? He almost smiled just then as he has put a piece of plastic bag
between the camera lens and body/contacts and it now takes pix - well sort
of he says ... but they look alright to me.. maybe its time to bodge a
little????

There's an option in the custom menu to allow the use of the
aperture ring. Set it to "on" - yes I know there's no
aperture ring on a mirror lens but the option to use one
must be on.

Get rid of the plastic bag, make sure you're in Av mode (or
manual) and focus switch is set to MF. Then shoot pictures.

--
John Bean
Old December 25th 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

Thanks John - it worked, he now smiles BUT I have to dig out my tripod OR
make the sun shine...

Many, many thanks....

Old December 25th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Bean

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 13:16:02 -0000, "Me"
wrote:

Thanks John - it worked, he now smiles BUT I have to dig out my tripod OR
make the sun shine...

Yes, it's not exactly f/8 long-lens weather here in
Lancashire either :-(

Many, many thanks....

You're welcome, nothing worse than this sort of
disappointment on Christmas Day. Enjoy the rest of it :-)

--
John Bean
Old December 25th 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

Thanks once again john,
He's found the tripod and is talking in words of more that one syllable...
weather forecast doesn't look too good for East Yorkshire for the next few
days for f8 work ;-((

Old December 25th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rudy Benner

. uk...

wrote:

Thanks John - it worked, he now smiles BUT I have to dig out my tripod OR
make the sun shine...

Yes, it's not exactly f/8 long-lens weather here in
Lancashire either :-(

Many, many thanks....

You're welcome, nothing worse than this sort of
disappointment on Christmas Day. Enjoy the rest of it :-)

--
John Bean

My reflex is 500mmf5.6 and it can be a challenge. Sometimes I wish it were
f8 instead. A little more DOF would be very nice.

Lens has a M42 thread, bought a M42/Nikon adapter, had to add a extension
ring and recalibrate the focus (easy).

If I had deep pockets, I would get a regular lens. Sigh.