digibacks for vintage bodies - when if ever?

Old October 18th 05, 12:26 PM
no_name

Default digibacks for vintage bodies - when if ever?

MXP wrote:

Digiback exist for the Hasselblad 500 series?
Imacon or Phase One.....or both?

When the digiworld has been mature and a company can see a market for
making a digiback for a common old camera......then why not?

Because they'll make more money by selling you a NEW camera as well as
the new digital back. Market capital just ain't there to support the old
cameras.
Old October 18th 05, 08:46 PM
Gordon Moat

"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

wrote in message
news
What I want to know is when are we going to see digital backs for
Rolleiflex
TLRs and other vintage camera? I could think of a several vintage bodies
where a digital back could be fitted. Basically anyone where the back
door
can come off. Maybe when the market is saturated one of the makers might
take this on?

There's no point. If you can afford a digital back, a new shiny MF system
will seem like a very small amount of spare change. One digital back used to
come with a free Mamiya 645AF, and Rollei was (recently, they may still be)
offering a 'deal' on a 6008 system in which the camera + back was about the
same as the list price of the back.

The 6008AF with PhaseOne back retails for around $US 15k, though I have seen
that Kurland Photo and a few others "discount" it to around $US 13k. That
really is like buying a digital back, and they nearly give you the camera and
lens for next to nothing. Mamiya now have another deal available, or at least
advertised. I have not heard of anyone actually getting one yet. I know several
people eagerly awaiting the Mamiya ZD.

Going back to the OP, it would be possible to put a digital back onto nearly
any camera, but getting it to work well would be tough. One issue is that on
mechanical cameras, you need a back that could fire from a single off the PC
(flash) sync, since there are no contacts on the camera to communicate with the
back. Another issue is making sure the imaging plane of the chip is aligned for
proper focus. Any good machinist could probably make an adapter, but I agree
with David that there not much point in even trying it.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old October 18th 05, 11:25 PM

"no_name" wrote in message
. com...
MXP wrote:

Digiback exist for the Hasselblad 500 series?
Imacon or Phase One.....or both?

When the digiworld has been mature and a company can see a market for
making a digiback for a common old camera......then why not?

Because they'll make more money by selling you a NEW camera as well as
the new digital back. Market capital just ain't there to support the old
cameras.

Well I don't have to buy a "NEW camera" so I guess I'll be using film
forever.