Apple played digital liberal nanny-stater, now faces severallawsuits

Old January 1st 18, 08:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Apple played digital liberal nanny-stater, now faces several lawsuits

In article , PeterN
wrote:

If I was the target market, my iPhone would have a built in, or
available oximeter.

and it does. here's one (there may be others):
http://lgtmedical.com/kenek/edge.html

there are also apps that claim to do it. they're not as accurate, but
they're also *much* cheaper than a medical device. here's one such app
(there may be others):
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/puls...-and-oxygen-mo
nitor-app/id775632066?mt=8

the apple watch monitors resting heart rate and during workouts, but it
currently does not have a pulse oximeter even though the hardware can
do it. perhaps it's a certification issue. it's coming.

I know. For me the pulse oximeter is an important medical issue. I have
been using on for almost a year. Total cost $50. I don't know if it as
accurate as the Apple,

apple doesn't make a pulse oximeter.

third parties do that.

but I will look into it, when it plugs directly
into the watch.

a pulse oximeter won't plug directly into the watch.

that functionality will be part of the watch itself, checking your
oxygen level as often as you deem necessary, as well as other vitals.

there could also be a bluetooth version that talks to the watch.
Old January 1st 18, 08:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 1/1/2018 3:06 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

Since the physical measurement device is not available for sale, it is
vaporware, that I cannot rely on..

--
PeterN
Old January 1st 18, 09:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"PeterN" wrote

| a pulse oximeter won't plug directly into the watch.
|
| that functionality will be part of the watch itself, checking your
| oxygen level as often as you deem necessary, as well as other vitals.
|
| there could also be a bluetooth version that talks to the watch.
|

| Since the physical measurement device is not available for sale, it is
| vaporware, that I cannot rely on..

It's all a joke. Look up accuracy reports. Apple
watch accuracy is quite good as a heart rate monitor,
as joke watch functions go. (It's still not very good
and the whole idea is idiotic. But within that field
it's tops.

There's no reason to think that an oximeter "app"
would work any better than the x-ray glasses one
can buy from magazines to see fish under water
and look through ladies dresses. Nospam just
automatically spews something pro-Apple, given half
a chance. If you say you want to buy a hot air
balloon he'll probably come up with a balloon shopping
app that's only available on iPhone. will it be
relevant? no. Will it be factual? Probably not.
He doesn't care.

Old January 1st 18, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

it lists young kids, teenagers, college students and adults as the
target market.

in other words, everyone.

Nope. Over 55 is a separate market.

no age cutoff is listed for the various groups and over 55 would
qualify for both 'adults' and 'business people'.

or is 55 the new retirement age?

Earliest retirement age for most State health and safety jobs, such as law
enforcement, and firefighters (in California anyway) is 50.

did you retire at 50?
Old January 1st 18, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| a pulse oximeter won't plug directly into the watch.
|
| that functionality will be part of the watch itself, checking your
| oxygen level as often as you deem necessary, as well as other vitals.
|
| there could also be a bluetooth version that talks to the watch.
|

| Since the physical measurement device is not available for sale, it is
| vaporware, that I cannot rely on..

It's all a joke. Look up accuracy reports. Apple
watch accuracy is quite good as a heart rate monitor,
as joke watch functions go. (It's still not very good
and the whole idea is idiotic. But within that field
it's tops.

the only joke is you.

the apple watch has already saved the lives of several people, likely
more because not everyone has a news story about it.

examples such as these come up every so often:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/16/apple-watch-saved-my-life-says-man.html
Late last week, Green posted an image from the hospital noting that
the "stupid lil wrist computer [he] bought 2 years ago" saved his
life after it notified him of a spiking heart rate.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ch_us_5601878d
e4b08820d91a4688
...The watch indicated his heart rate was 145 beats per minute, a
full 60 to 80 beats higher than an average resting heart rate. He
didnšt know it then, but a*rapid heart rate is a symptom
of*rhabdomyolysis.

Houlešs father, Paul Sr., is a neurosurgeon who had asked his son to
use the Apple Watch to test his heart rate before leaving for school.
Armed with this baseline information, Houle knew something was wrong
with his body, but he still didnšt think much of it.*

In fact, he actually thought the watch was broken. He had never
considered its heart rate monitor to be anything more than a gimmick.

The schoolšs athletic trainer also thought the watch was broken when
Houle told him about his abnormally high heart rate reading. But
after being examined by both the trainer and the schoolšs nurse, he
was immediately driven to the emergency room.*Once at the hospital,
Houle was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis and began receiving
treatment, but the conditionšs effects still caused him to lose
control of his muscles.*

you should email the families and tell them the watch is just a joke.

perhaps they'll be polite when they tell you what they think.

There's no reason to think that an oximeter "app"
would work any better than the x-ray glasses one
can buy from magazines to see fish under water
and look through ladies dresses.

an app might not, but the external devices do, as will the watch itself
when that ability is enabled (the hardware can).

Nospam just
automatically spews something pro-Apple, given half
a chance. If you say you want to buy a hot air
balloon he'll probably come up with a balloon shopping
app that's only available on iPhone. will it be
relevant? no. Will it be factual? Probably not.
He doesn't care.

idiot.
Old January 1st 18, 10:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 1, 2018, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

it lists young kids, teenagers, college students and adults as the
target market.

in other words, everyone.

Nope. Over 55 is a separate market.

no age cutoff is listed for the various groups and over 55 would
qualify for both 'adults' and 'business people'.

or is 55 the new retirement age?

Earliest retirement age for most State health and safety jobs, such as law
enforcement, and firefighters (in California anyway) is 50.

did you retire at 50?

Nope! I retired at 60 in 2009.

Savageduck

Old January 1st 18, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

it lists young kids, teenagers, college students and adults as the
target market.

in other words, everyone.

Nope. Over 55 is a separate market.

no age cutoff is listed for the various groups and over 55 would
qualify for both 'adults' and 'business people'.

or is 55 the new retirement age?

Earliest retirement age for most State health and safety jobs, such as law
enforcement, and firefighters (in California anyway) is 50.

did you retire at 50?

Nope! I retired at 60 in 2009.

then according to peter, you had 5 years of not being an adult.
Old January 1st 18, 11:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 1, 2018, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

it lists young kids, teenagers, college students and adults as the
target market.

in other words, everyone.

Nope. Over 55 is a separate market.

no age cutoff is listed for the various groups and over 55 would
qualify for both 'adults' and 'business people'.

or is 55 the new retirement age?

Earliest retirement age for most State health and safety jobs, such as law
enforcement, and firefighters (in California anyway) is 50.

did you retire at 50?

Nope! I retired at 60 in 2009.

then according to peter, you had 5 years of not being an adult.

Only 5!! There are a whole bunch of folks who think I am still not an adult.

....and now that I am retired, I have absolutely no reason to behave like an
adult, that sort of thing I reserved for work.

Savageduck

Old January 2nd 18, 03:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 1/1/2018 4:20 PM, Mayayana wrote:
"PeterN" wrote

| a pulse oximeter won't plug directly into the watch.
|
| that functionality will be part of the watch itself, checking your
| oxygen level as often as you deem necessary, as well as other vitals.
|
| there could also be a bluetooth version that talks to the watch.
|

| Since the physical measurement device is not available for sale, it is
| vaporware, that I cannot rely on..

It's all a joke. Look up accuracy reports. Apple
watch accuracy is quite good as a heart rate monitor,
as joke watch functions go. (It's still not very good
and the whole idea is idiotic. But within that field
it's tops.

There's no reason to think that an oximeter "app"
would work any better than the x-ray glasses one
can buy from magazines to see fish under water
and look through ladies dresses. Nospam just
automatically spews something pro-Apple, given half
a chance. If you say you want to buy a hot air
balloon he'll probably come up with a balloon shopping
app that's only available on iPhone. will it be
relevant? no. Will it be factual? Probably not.
He doesn't care.

Since I was diagnosed with COPD, and my defibrillator/pacemaker
recalled, I see nothing funny about toy pulse oximeters.

--
PeterN
Old January 2nd 18, 03:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"PeterN" wrote

| Since I was diagnosed with COPD, and my defibrillator/pacemaker
| recalled, I see nothing funny about toy pulse oximeters.

I can understand that. Even heart monitors are
questionable. For that matter, phone app pedometers
are both silly and inaccurate. But people now
use them to track and plan their health regimens,
trying to maintain a certain number of steps per
day.

I used to have a friend who was an ER doctor
and very suspicious of herbal remedies. He used
to like to point out that herbal remedies have a
good reputation despite lack of research because
it's usually the healthy people who use them. When
they *really* get sick they use drugs. An
"immune system booster" seems to work well if
you don't get sick after taking it. (Not that I think
herbs are nonsense. something like 30% of our
drugs come from herbs. But there is a lot of
magical thinking going on.)
One could say the same about frivolous tech
approaches to health. They're there because
there's a market that will pay, not because they
make sense.