Sony DSC R1 vs. Samsung Digimax Pro 815

Old December 24th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

Default Sony DSC R1 vs. Samsung Digimax Pro 815

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 12:53:47 +0000, Roy G wrote:

wrote in message news:1166867380

I want to be able to do candid shots. For this, a swiveable LCD screen is
necessary.

Eh !!

So candid shots were almost impossible before Digital P & S Cameras were
invented. Cartier Bresson, must have had a very very early prototype.

I think he's confusing "candid" with "spy". Go, shoot, get people used
to seeing you shoot, and they'll ignore you.

Roy G

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old December 24th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon

In article om, Rich
says...

Both cameras are now outmoded. The Sony has a terrific lens with a
reasonably wide zoom range and a limit of 110mm. So, NG for telework.
The Samsung is a lumbering brute of a P&S with a poor record for focus
at the long end of the lens. Had the Samsung stuck to a max zoom
equivalent of 200mm, it would have been a camera in league with the
Olympus C-8080 and the Nikon 8800. As it is, cheap DSLRs have
obsoleted both.

To be accurate the R1 goes up to 120mm (equiv.).

The big advantage of the R1 over a DSLR is the live preview and when it
came out it was the first 10MP camera in this price class (if I'm not
mistaken). Then there is the cost issue, i.e. the value of the lens
alone justifies the cost to purchase the entire camera. Get a DSLR lens
as good as the one of the R1 and with the same specifications (24-120,
F2.8-4.8) and you'll see what I mean.
--

Alfred Molon
Old December 25th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich

Alfred Molon wrote:
[...]

I honestly don't think it's possible unless you are willing to fork
over about $3000.
Lack of a reflex mirror made that lens possible on the R1. One good
thing as well,
no fear of shutter/mirror slap ruining a shot. First time I fired the
Sony, I couldn't tell I'd
taken a shot. Dead silent and still. Reminded me of an old small
Ricoh rangefinder I once had.