copy Exif from one image to another

Old December 13th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Default copy Exif from one image to another

Ken Lucke wrote:
In article , John
McWilliams wrote:

Ken Lucke wrote:
In article . com,
Bucky wrote:

THO wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why would you want to do that?
Here's what I do for some digital photos:
1. use gimp to edit (do some cloning touching up)
2. save as TIFF to limit compression loss
3. open TIFF with picasa to adjust color temperature (I really like
picasa's color temperature slider)
4. save as JPEG

The Exif info is lost in step 2 when Gimp save as TIFF. So I wanted to
copy the Exif info from the original JPEG to the final JPEG.
Hmmm... never having used Gimp, I can't say, but that sounds weird. If
a program I had didn't save the existing exif data whenever it saves
the file, I'd toss it and find one that does.

It would certainly make it simpler for you to [one-time] find a better
program than to [every time] have to manually copy the data over. As I
described in another thread, why don't you try using Adobe Lightroom -
you can combine ALL those steps (and more, plus file management) into
one program which THRIVES on the EXIF data, rather than discarding it.

[topic drift]

Ken, or any other Mac user: Can you find your photos via Spotlight
searching on the Metadata key words, or EXIF info, for that matter?

Hmmm, never tried (I just do it in Aperture, which has much more
sophisticated search criteria).

Hang on, let me give it a shot...

Yup. Learched on "lighthouse", and all my pictures that have
"lighthouse" as a keyword showed up, even if the name of the file
didn't contain it (and getting info showed the keyword). Searched on
"digital rebel xt" and digital rebel xti"and all those photos showed
up, with the info showing it as "camera model".

So yeah, Spotlight allows searching by EXIF keyword.

Thanks. Do you still have images you processed in LR, and do they show
up? (Mine don't, so don't know whether it's a localized phenom. or
something else.)

--
John McWilliams
Old December 13th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Lucke

In article , John
McWilliams wrote:
Ken, or any other Mac user: Can you find your photos via Spotlight
searching on the Metadata key words, or EXIF info, for that matter?

Hmmm, never tried (I just do it in Aperture, which has much more
sophisticated search criteria).

Hang on, let me give it a shot...

Yup. Learched on "lighthouse", and all my pictures that have
"lighthouse" as a keyword showed up, even if the name of the file
didn't contain it (and getting info showed the keyword). Searched on
"digital rebel xt" and digital rebel xti"and all those photos showed
up, with the info showing it as "camera model".

So yeah, Spotlight allows searching by EXIF keyword.

Thanks. Do you still have images you processed in LR, and do they show
up? (Mine don't, so don't know whether it's a localized phenom. or
something else.)

I never entered any keywords in LR, I did it all (evenon the
unrecognized .cr2 files) in Aperture, so there would be no way of
telling. I guess I add some keywords to an image in LR and export it,
just to see. 'ang on....

.... OK, the results: both LR & Aperture append the keywords to any
non-raw exported files, neither append it to the original raw file if
it is exported (or a copy of it is), which is probably as it should be
when they state that they never touch the original file.

So, if you're having problems with LR not appending keywords to
exported images (non-raw) it seems to probably be on your system.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old December 13th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Ken Lucke wrote:
In article , John
McWilliams wrote:
[...]

Ooooowwwww. My D'Oh! But, thanks to what you just wrote, I realize that
I was searching on terms that were attached only to the xml sidecars;
that the particular images whose key words I was using Spotlight for on
that computer hadn't been exported. D'Oh!

And, yes, most of my searching will be within Lightroom, but I wanted to
know whatever alternatives there were in case I stopped using it.

--
John McWilliams
Old December 13th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Lucke

In article , John
McWilliams wrote:

Ooooowwwww. My D'Oh! But, thanks to what you just wrote, I realize that
I was searching on terms that were attached only to the xml sidecars;
that the particular images whose key words I was using Spotlight for on
that computer hadn't been exported. D'Oh!

I wondered if that might not be the case ;^)

Old December 14th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

"Bucky" writes:

looking for an open source, Windows utility to copy Exif data from one
image to another.

EXIFTOOL will do that, and a ****load of other stuff as well. You do have
to install the chainsaw (perl) as well, but that is probably a plus.

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
Old December 24th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael Meissner

(Paul Mitchum) writes:

Bucky wrote:

looking for an open source, Windows utility to copy Exif data from one
image to another.

jhead. Google it. :-)

I dunno, if you use Olympus cameras, jhead will corrupt the EXIF information.
Much better is exiftool:
http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old December 24th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charlie Choc

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 08:00:56 -0800, Ken Lucke wrote:

Hmmm... never having used Gimp, I can't say, but that sounds weird. If
a program I had didn't save the existing exif data whenever it saves
the file, I'd toss it and find one that does.

Photoshop doesn't save all the existing EXIF data - it dumps the makernote part
among other things. I use Exifer to put the original data back.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com