nef to tiff

Old April 4th 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike -- Email Ignored

Default nef to tiff

What software would you recommend to convert nef
to tiff? Google returns numerous results. One
that allows batch operation on numerous files
would be best.

Thanks,
Mike.
Old April 4th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
pboud

Mike -- Email Ignored wrote:
What software would you recommend to convert nef
to tiff? Google returns numerous results. One
that allows batch operation on numerous files
would be best.

Thanks,
Mike.

First choice - CaptureNX ($139 USD, ish)

um, actually, seems to be the only choice for me :P

Others will do it as well, I'm sure, but this one has the best (imho)
NEF rendering and can do batch operations.

HTH
P.
Old April 4th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

Mike -- Email Ignored wrote:
What software would you recommend to convert nef
to tiff? Google returns numerous results. One
that allows batch operation on numerous files
would be best.

I use UFRAW to convert NEF raw data to an image format.
It will convert to TIFF, JPEG, PPM or PNG. It works for
batch operations.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old April 4th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike -- Email Ignored

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 15:17:22 +0000, Pboud wrote:

Mike -- Email Ignored wrote:
What software would you recommend to convert nef to tiff? Google
returns numerous results. One that allows batch operation on numerous
files would be best.

Thanks,
Mike.

First choice - CaptureNX ($139 USD, ish)

um, actually, seems to be the only choice for me :P

Others will do it as well, I'm sure, but this one has the best (imho)
NEF rendering and can do batch operations.

HTH
P.

Is there some flexibility in the mathematics that does the
conversion? Can results differ?

I have heard that Nikon software is not that great. Is this
an exception? Certainly the stuff that came with my Nikon
scanner is awful.

Mike.
Old April 4th 08, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Focus

"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote in message
Mike -- Email Ignored wrote:
What software would you recommend to convert nef
to tiff? Google returns numerous results. One
that allows batch operation on numerous files
would be best.

I use UFRAW to convert NEF raw data to an image format.
It will convert to TIFF, JPEG, PPM or PNG. It works for
batch operations.

Nothing comes close to NX Capture. It can also save you a lot of time,
because it can read *all* camera settings. No other program can do that.

--
Focus

Old April 4th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
pboud

Mike -- Email Ignored wrote:
What software would you recommend to convert nef to tiff? Google
returns numerous results. One that allows batch operation on numerous
files would be best.

Thanks,
Mike.

First choice - CaptureNX ($139 USD, ish)

um, actually, seems to be the only choice for me :P

Others will do it as well, I'm sure, but this one has the best (imho)
NEF rendering and can do batch operations.

HTH
P.

Is there some flexibility in the mathematics that does the
conversion? Can results differ?

I have heard that Nikon software is not that great. Is this
an exception? Certainly the stuff that came with my Nikon
scanner is awful.

Mike.

I'm sure you'll get other input on general Nikon software, but I've
looked at both the standard (free, PictureProject) and optional
(CaptureNX, pay) software for image rendering. PP is truly awful, while
CaptureNX beats my Paintshop Pro 11. I'm sure you could get better, but
others will have to speak to that as I've not played with other software
except Photoshop and that wasn't that hot (actually, it wasn't bad but I
couldn't afford it )

P.
Old April 4th 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike -- Email Ignored

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 08:51:35 -0800, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

Mike -- Email Ignored wrote:
What software would you recommend to convert nef to tiff? Google
returns numerous results. One that allows batch operation on numerous
files would be best.

I use UFRAW to convert NEF raw data to an image format. It will convert
to TIFF, JPEG, PPM or PNG. It works for batch operations.

As far as I have seen so far, the batch mode is only for Linux.
Is this true?

Mike.
Old April 4th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

Mike -- Email Ignored wrote:
What software would you recommend to convert nef
to tiff? Google returns numerous results. One
that allows batch operation on numerous files
would be best.

I use UFRAW to convert NEF raw data to an image format.
It will convert to TIFF, JPEG, PPM or PNG. It works for
batch operations.

Nothing comes close to NX Capture. It can also save you a lot of time,
because it can read *all* camera settings. No other program can do that.

Can you list ways that NX Capture is better than UFRAW?

For example, what do you mean by "*all* camera
settings"? Which ones does UFRAW miss, and how does
that make a difference.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old April 4th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike -- Email Ignored

Mike -- Email Ignored wrote:
What software would you recommend to convert nef to tiff? Google
returns numerous results. One that allows batch operation on numerous
files would be best.

I use UFRAW to convert NEF raw data to an image format. It will convert
to TIFF, JPEG, PPM or PNG. It works for batch operations.

OK, I ran it on Linux. It worked for a batch of nef-tiff.
Now I would like to do nef-jpg, and specify 4"x6", 300 pixels/inch.
Is there a way to do that?

Thanks,
Mike.
Old April 4th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article N0tJj.2$lt2.0@trndny05, Mike -- Email Ignored
wrote:

Is there some flexibility in the mathematics that does the
conversion? Can results differ?

raw converters definitely differ. which one is 'best' is one of those
endless debates.

I have heard that Nikon software is not that great. Is this
an exception? Certainly the stuff that came with my Nikon
scanner is awful.

nikon software has the advantage of nikon knowing *everything* about
the sensor and what's in the nef file. third party raw converters have
to figure it out and generally ignore the metadata.

RAW to TIFF MikeM Digital Photography 2 February 10th 06 05:33 PM
RAW vs TIFF measekite Digital ZLR Cameras 10 August 25th 05 03:22 PM
RAW--->TIFF---> JPG Alex Gitlits Digital Photography 16 February 1st 05 12:05 PM
BMP to TIFF or TIFF to BMP- any loss? Jenna Topping Digital Photography 5 January 23rd 05 01:18 AM
Tool for converting 12-bit TIFF images to 16-bit TIFF-images? Peter Frank Digital Photography 23 December 13th 04 02:41 AM