More Christmas lights

Old December 23rd 05, 02:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default More Christmas lights

Thought I would try shooting the Christmas tree just to try
it. Yeah, I know pictures of Christmas suck. Whatever, it's an
exercise. The Canon S2 was used. WB = tungsten. Tripod; no flash;
bracketed two over and two under. The lighter one was layered over the
dark and the blown areas erased with a soft brush at 100%. The
results are posted he
http://members.accesswave.ca/~parkla...s/clights.html
The blown highlights were brushed in a bit to tone them down.

It really needed maybe three under as the lights were still
blown out. Values were 1/4 and one second at f2.7.
Old December 23rd 05, 02:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

The blend is cool.
Ok so now I gotta go try it :-)

Old December 23rd 05, 03:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"John H" wrote in message
Thought I would try shooting the Christmas tree just to try
it. Yeah, I know pictures of Christmas suck. Whatever, it's an
exercise. The Canon S2 was used. WB = tungsten. Tripod; no flash;
bracketed two over and two under. The lighter one was layered over the
dark and the blown areas erased with a soft brush at 100%. The
results are posted he
http://members.accesswave.ca/~parkla...s/clights.html
The blown highlights were brushed in a bit to tone them down.

It really needed maybe three under as the lights were still
blown out. Values were 1/4 and one second at f2.7.

That blended shot would kick ass if that couch wasn't in there.

Old December 23rd 05, 03:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Dirty Harry" wrote in message

"John H" wrote in message
Thought I would try shooting the Christmas tree just to try
it. Yeah, I know pictures of Christmas suck. Whatever, it's an
exercise. The Canon S2 was used. WB = tungsten. Tripod; no flash;
bracketed two over and two under. The lighter one was layered over the
dark and the blown areas erased with a soft brush at 100%. The
results are posted he
http://members.accesswave.ca/~parkla...s/clights.html
The blown highlights were brushed in a bit to tone them down.

It really needed maybe three under as the lights were still
blown out. Values were 1/4 and one second at f2.7.

That blended shot would kick ass if that couch wasn't in there.

I agree! (and I'd get rid of the wall pictures too)

--
John L Rice

Old December 23rd 05, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"John H" wrote in message
Thought I would try shooting the Christmas tree just to try
it. Yeah, I know pictures of Christmas suck. Whatever, it's an
exercise. The Canon S2 was used. WB = tungsten. Tripod; no flash;
bracketed two over and two under. The lighter one was layered over the
dark and the blown areas erased with a soft brush at 100%. The
results are posted he
http://members.accesswave.ca/~parkla...s/clights.html
The blown highlights were brushed in a bit to tone them down.

It really needed maybe three under as the lights were still
blown out. Values were 1/4 and one second at f2.7.

That blended shot would kick ass if that couch wasn't in there.

I agree! (and I'd get rid of the wall pictures too)

Geeze, I didn't even consider composition being taken up with
the exposure bit. Maybe I'll shoot it again tomorrow night if I can
get in there before people start arriving. Christmas tree pictures
can actually be interesting?

Old December 24th 05, 06:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

John H wrote:
Thought I would try shooting the Christmas tree just to try
it. Yeah, I know pictures of Christmas suck. Whatever, it's an
exercise. The Canon S2 was used. WB = tungsten. Tripod; no flash;
bracketed two over and two under. The lighter one was layered over the
dark and the blown areas erased with a soft brush at 100%. The
results are posted he
http://members.accesswave.ca/~parkla...s/clights.html
The blown highlights were brushed in a bit to tone them down.

It really needed maybe three under as the lights were still
blown out. Values were 1/4 and one second at f2.7.

I hate to be a spoilsport, but I quite like the overexposed one as is.
Old December 26th 05, 10:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

John H" wrote in message
.. .
Thought I would try shooting the Christmas tree just to try
it. Yeah, I know pictures of Christmas suck. Whatever, it's an
exercise. The Canon S2 was used. WB = tungsten. Tripod; no flash;
bracketed two over and two under. The lighter one was layered over the
dark and the blown areas erased with a soft brush at 100%. The
results are posted he
http://members.accesswave.ca/~parkla...s/clights.html
The blown highlights were brushed in a bit to tone them down.

It really needed maybe three under as the lights were still
blown out. Values were 1/4 and one second at f2.7.

Not even close to as nice as John H's pictures but I wanted to try anyway.
One of my first attempts with my new D70s (I've got a ways to go I think ;-)
:
www.imjohn.com/misc/Tree1c.gif

Merry Christmas all!

--