Kodak to stop making digital cameras

Old February 23rd 12, 10:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default Kodak to stop making digital cameras

On 2012-02-23 09:20 , nospam wrote:
In , Neil Ellwood
wrote:

You can run linux on macs. You just have to download the correct version
of the distro. you choose (not all distros have versions for macs).

what for?

The fun of it. I've run OS X, Win XP and Ubuntu simultaneously on my
iMac, swapped files between them (drag and drop), run busy/memory hungry
apps on each to load the system - just to see where it would all bog
down. (I've since removed Linux).

--
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."
Douglas Adams - (Could have been a GPS engineer).
Old February 23rd 12, 11:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-23 18:01 , Mxsmanic wrote:
Alan Browne writes:

If you take 3 imacs, each broken in a different way, but amongst them
enough parts to make a complete working unit, then you have repaired one
of them with parts from others. In a legal sense, the "nameplate"
bearing part that survives is the repaired unit.

What's the serial number of that unit?

I meant the manufacturers plate where the S/N appears. If there is no
such (there isn't that I can see on this Mac), then it would be the S/N
that appears when you bring up system info - which is likely stored on
the CPU card and probably printed on that board.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old February 23rd 12, 11:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-02-23 15:01:39 -0800, Mxsmanic said:

Alan Browne writes:

If you take 3 imacs, each broken in a different way, but amongst them
enough parts to make a complete working unit, then you have repaired one
of them with parts from others. In a legal sense, the "nameplate"
bearing part that survives is the repaired unit.

What's the serial number of that unit?

The serial number is going to be whenever the "System Profiler" can be
accessed, so you can discover which of the three cannibalized Macs
inherited the "Serial Number", both physically on the case, and
digitally after you have been able to boot up. It would probably be
best to use that number.

To reassure yourself, you could always add the serial number plates
from the two recessive donors, as a memorial to their sacrifice, so one
might live.

Savageduck

Old February 24th 12, 11:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete A

On 2012-02-23 09:08:33 -0800, Whisky-dave said:
[...]
I see most cars that cost more than a Mac as over priced.
Why would someone buy a car for 30,000 , when you can get a car
costing 10,000.
It must be becdause the 30,000 car is overpriced is that what you're
saying ?

The majority of cars have a wheel at each corner and one to use for
stearing.....
so why the 20k differnce .

If you are not sure of that, then public transport is probably going to
be the best option for you. ;-)

I know the differnce, the good cars have iPod/iPhone docking stations
as standard.

And a SAT NAV for drivers who can't be bothered to learn how to map read.

And attractive young women either drive them or sit on the bonnets in
not alot of clothes. :-)

Buses and trains are very poorly designed for that, unfortunately.

Old February 24th 12, 02:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete A

On 2012-02-24 11:40:03 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

On Feb 23, 9:11*pm, tony cooper wrote:
On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:41:12 -0500, nospam
wrote:

So you don't know. *Your statement that they don't use the lowest cost
parts is your opinion, but not based on any facts.

it's based on statements they've made.

Oh, that's a reliable source of information. *If the company announced
something like about their own product we can always accept that as
gospel.

do you have any evidence that they are lying? didn't think so.

I have just as much evidence as you do about the veracity of the
statement. *I suspect that Apple does use the lowest priced parts in
some cases. *There are certain parts that go into any product where
the lowest priced parts are acceptable.

That is obvious in fact a few years ago PC venders abd aple were
caught ouyt by buying cheap
fake parts from china. I can only assume someone in marking saw
cheaper capacitors and came to the conclusion
that the ones they previously used were over-priced so went for teh
cheaper ones.
It happens with range of products from jewlery to drugs, from
computers to prostitues.

I'd never thought of measuring the capacity of a prostitute in farads:
they tend not to store charge for very long so I guess they are
electrolytics with high leakage. Their low series resistance doesn't
guarantee a high Quality factor, but their resonant frequency and
damping are easy enough to measure.

[...]

Old February 24th 12, 02:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete A

On 2012-02-24 11:07:22 +0000, Whisky-dave said:
I know the differnce, the good cars have iPod/iPhone docking stations
as standard.

And a SAT NAV for drivers who can't be bothered to learn how to map read.

No need any more for an independent SatNav, when there is a TomTom app
for iPhone, plus Google's excellent Navigation app which is free to
all Android phone users and is regularly updated with new mapping,
also free of charge.

So all you need is a mounting bracket and charger for your phone.

True. A phone can also serve as an excellent parking sensor, but it has
to be replaced after each use :-)

Old February 24th 12, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Pete A" wrote in message
And a SAT NAV for drivers who can't be bothered to learn how to map read.

Thank god, reading a map while driving is even more dangerous than using a
handheld mobile phone!

Trevor.

Old February 26th 12, 12:22 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete A

On 2012-02-24 22:39:49 +0000, Trevor said:

Pete A wrote:
And a SAT NAV for drivers who can't be bothered to learn how to map read.

Thank god, reading a map while driving is even more dangerous than
using a handheld mobile phone!

Doing both while also trying to roll up a cigarette is a real pain.

Old February 26th 12, 01:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 2/22/2012 10:16 AM, nospam wrote:
In , Mxsmanic
wrote:

But you can build your own PC. You can't build your own Mac.

most people don't build their own pcs.

And your point is???

--
Peter
Old February 26th 12, 02:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

If you take 3 imacs, each broken in a different way, but amongst them
enough parts to make a complete working unit, then you have repaired one
of them with parts from others. In a legal sense, the "nameplate"
bearing part that survives is the repaired unit.

What's the serial number of that unit?

the one on the back of the box, or the one that comes up in system
profiler (it's stored internally too).

what's the serial number of a unit sent in for repair? same deal.