Kodak to stop making digital cameras

Old February 23rd 12, 02:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Kodak to stop making digital cameras

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 00:54:03 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Eric Stevens writes:

There were various appeals and counter-appeals and eventually a
compromise settlement was reached in which Microsoft remained intact.
But there is no doubt they were found guilty of all kinds of things.

A finding of fact is not a guilty verdict, and Judge Jackson was not a
disinterested party.

They settled. They wouldn't have settled if the decision has not gone
against them.

In any case, lots of industry leaders get taken to court by their competitors
when the latter run out of other methods (or when the other methods are too
costly). In high-tech industries it doesn't necessarily work because the
decision of the court is usually moot by the time it is handed down.

This wasn't a competitor. It was the US Deparpent of Justice under te
Sherman Act.

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old February 23rd 12, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 00:58:49 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Eric Stevens writes:

SavageDuck wrote
I don't believe you will be able to buy an Acer from Dell.

and Myxmanic replied
You don't need to, since they are one and the same thing.

To which I replied.
Bull****!

I own both and can tell you, you are talking crap.

All of which might make sense until I put back the original text.

They can both run the same operating systems and software.

That doesn't make them the same. In fact you will find they need
different drivers.

You can't buy either Dell or Acer motherboards except as spare parts
for existing machines.

That leaves only 34,837 other vendors!

Not one of which can sell you Acer, Dell or Apple motherboards (unless
they fell off the back of a truck).

Nonsense. See for example
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...t-using-a-mac/

How do you get the license for Mac OS X?

Buy an Apple?

No it doesn't. It only forces you to buy both from Apple if you want
an Apple computer.

If you don't want an Apple computer, then this discussion is moot.

You snipped the important parts of my original message. I don't really
blame you as leaving them in would only make you look silly.
Unfortunately I put them back in.

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old February 23rd 12, 04:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article 201202221628267826-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
wrote:

I guess I must have been very lucky. I bought a cheap low-end Android
smart phone. Every app in it, and every app I've downloaded into it,
has always launched faultlessly whenever I tap the icon. Nothing has
ever crashed. What amazing luck! For a fraction of the cost I got
something that works as well as an iphone!

how is it a fraction of the cost? the price of android phones and
iphones aren't that much different and the price of the service is
going to be the same no matter what phone you have.

I have been a life long Apple user, but I was always reluctant to move
to an iPhone. Initially because it was only available through ATT and I
live in an area where there is no ATT service.

that is a very good reason

The first data plan I
got with Verizon was for a Samsung Omnia. That touch screen died after
about a year. At that point I got a Motorola Android phone which the
worst battery life of any phone I have ever owned. It did its job well
enough and I had no issues with the Android Apps, but with the bad
battery life, only for a frustratingly short time.

battery life is a common complaint for android phones, especially the
ones with lte.

Once my frustration had peaked and the iPhone 4S was released I checked
with Verizon for my options to dump the Motorola, mid-contract. The
32GB iPhone cost the same as the Motorola.

the price was the same. imagine that.

I was grandfathered into
their unlimited data plan which I first got with the Samsung, and I got
an iPhone 4S.

that's a very good thing.

It is without doubt the best and most trouble free cell phone I have
owned to date. I should have made the move sooner. Apps I have got
either free or have spent my hard earned $0.99 to $5.99 on have
functioned as advertised.

a lot of apps are quite good, including the free ones.

My email is pushed to my iPhone, the camera is no D300s or G11, but it
is a useful snapshot tool and overall I couldn't be happier.

the camera is very good.
Old February 23rd 12, 04:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , tony cooper
wrote:

So all this talk about PC makers buying from the lowest-cost supplier
and Apple using better components is all bogus? Apple's using the
same standard stuff as PCs?

there's a lot more to a computer than just a box of parts, and it
wasn't me who made that claim either.

apple generally does not use the lowest cost parts because it makes for
crappy products.

How is it you know this?

apple has made statements to that effect on several occasions. it's
also quite obvious that they don't use the cheapest parts. for example,
the displays in their products are ips not tn. i listed some other ones
in an earlier post.

Are you an Apple employee? In Purchasing?

no to both.
Old February 23rd 12, 04:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

it's physically possible and totally legal.

That would greatly surprise me, given how restrictive Apple's licensing is.

based on this thread alone, a lot of things would surprise you.
Old February 23rd 12, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

The Apple SLA is to run 1 OS X on 1 working Mac.
Cannibalizing parts to make one is a working Mac.

I just read the license, and that's not what it says. It says that you can
only install the OS on an Apple-branded computer. A computer cobbled together
out of spare parts is not an Apple-branded computer

sure it is. it's exactly the same as if you took it in for repair.

(although the license
doesn't explicitly define this term).

it's obvious what it means.

The use of "branded" implies a complete
system built by Apple as such and carrying the Apple brand.

it is a complete system built by apple, just one that has been repaired.
Old February 23rd 12, 04:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

the point above is that nothing is voided by using non-apple parts.

The OS license requires that the software be used on an Apple-branded
computer.

that's true and it won't change the fact that apple built the computer.

That's true even for the so-called open-source parts of the OS.

nope. webkit is used on competing products. the os x kernel can be
installed on anything. gcd can be used on anything. the list goes on.
Old February 23rd 12, 08:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-02-22 23:20:25 -0800, tony cooper said:

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 16:28:26 -0800, Savageduck

On 2012-02-22 14:44:39 -0800, nospam said:

In article , Chris Malcolm

Once my frustration had peaked and the iPhone 4S was released I checked
with Verizon for my options to dump the Motorola, mid-contract. The
32GB iPhone cost the same as the Motorola. I was grandfathered into
their unlimited data plan which I first got with the Samsung, and I got
an iPhone 4S.

I assume, though, that to change phones mid-contract that you had to
extend your contract for two years unless you paid full retail for the
new phone. That's fine if you know you will continue to want/need a
mobile phone for two more years and if you are satisfied with
Verizon's service.

I had no qualms extending my Verizon contract as the deal they offered
worked just fine for me.

When I was with Verizon (which had very good service here), they would
allow me to get a new phone at their special price only if I renewed
the contract. Otherwise, they charged full retail and their full
retail was higher than the phone purchased elsewhere.

Not everyone is willing to do these contract renewals.

Choice is a wonderful thing. I could have got a new phone & contract
from AT&T and they would still not be able to provide coverage for 13
miles around my home.

Savageduck

Old February 23rd 12, 11:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 16:53:15 +0100, Mxsmanic wrote:

I used Macs a few times decades ago, but they've always been to
expensive to buy on spec. I know what PCs can do, so I stick with those.

I can only run Mac OS X on a Mac I can also run linux and windows XP
(haven;t tried W7) on 3 of my macs at least.

If Macs were really so great, you wouldn't need to be able to run other
operating systems on them.

You can run linux on macs. You just have to download the correct version
of the distro. you choose (not all distros have versions for macs).

--
Neil
Reverse ‘a’ and 'r' then delete ‘l’ for address.
Old February 23rd 12, 11:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 20:02:14 -0500, tony cooper wrote:

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 18:43:24 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , tony cooper
wrote:

My SO got an Android from her cellco. for $10. Does all that
Android ****. The cheapest iPhone she could have gotten was $100
(3GS I think).

the 3gs is $0.

Yes, you can just walk into an Apple store and walk out with a 3GS
phone at no cost and no obligation. It's called "shoplifting".

either you're an idiot or you're trolling (maybe both).

alan's so didn't leave the store with a phone for $10 either.

phones are normally sold with contracts and i'm sure you know that.

No, I don't know that. The last few phones I purchased have not
required a contract or an extension of an extant contract. I have a
contract with a provider, but have replaced phones without extending
that contract or even notifying my provider that I've purchased a new
phone. It's not at all difficult or unusual to do so.

Check eBay, Craigslist, or online.

I don't have a contract on my phone - it's a PAYGO and for the amount I
use it,it works out far cheaper this way.