6x4 photographs - I'm so confused!!

Old March 8th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default 6x4 photographs - I'm so confused!!

Hi.
I'm banging my head in trying to understand how to best print out my
photographs. I've read numerous threads and through various websites
but unfortunately I'm still faily clueless on this subject.

Equipment:
Canon EOS 300D. Photos always taken on maximum resolution. Image size is 3072x2048 pixels.
Canon i865 printer. Always printed out on maximum quality. Horizontal colour printing resolution 4800 dpi Vertical colour printing resolution 1200dpi

I like borderless photos. The problem is that using either Photoshop or
the Canon supplied application, I have to severely trim/crop the photos
to fit on the 6x4 window. Which often leads to a lot of the subject
being taken out! In summary, I want to be able to print out my
photographs as I've taken them without cropping *with* maximum quality.

How do I do this please? It's driving me nuts! I don't want to print
out cropped photographs.

Thank you.
Al.

Old March 8th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Does the printer driver support borderless printing to the paper that you
are using?
Jim

Old March 8th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:
[...]

Photoshop Elements, open your photo and select the "Crop Tool." Set the
width and length to the print size and resolution to 300 pixels per
inch. Click on the top left corner and pull down to encompass the entire
picture. Hit the "check" mark to apply the crop. Then you should see
what it will look like on that size paper. If you don't like it, reset
and do it again.

This has worked for Wal-Mart prints as well as White House Custom Colour
and is basially the WHCC instructions on cropping.

Good luck!

Chip Gallo

Old March 8th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote in message
[...]

You need to downsample your photos to an
appropriate print resolution. Usually that's around
300 dpi or so. [Forget about the 4800 or 1200
dpi quoted on the printer specs.]

In your case, 3072 x 2048, printed at 4x6"
would give 512 dpi. Which is overkill, but
will probably work just fine anyway.

[3072 pixels / 6" = 2048 / 4 = 512 dpi]

You don't need to crop at all, because the
aspect ratio is exactly right for printing at 4x6".

There's probably also a way to do all of this
"automatically" in the Canon print driver.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

Old March 8th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

writes:

Equipment:
Canon EOS 300D. Photos always taken on maximum resolution. Image size

is 3072x2048 pixels.
Canon i865 printer. Always printed out on maximum quality. Horizontal

colour printing resolution 4800 dpi Vertical colour printing resolution
1200dpi

I like borderless photos. The problem is that using either Photoshop or
the Canon supplied application, I have to severely trim/crop the photos
to fit on the 6x4 window. Which often leads to a lot of the subject
being taken out! In summary, I want to be able to print out my
photographs as I've taken them without cropping *with* maximum quality.

Your camera shoots images with a 3:2 aspect ratio, and a 4x6 print is
also 3:2 aspect ratio, so you should never have to crop if you don't
want to.

My guess is that your problem is printing size. When your image is
loaded into Photoshop, it will arbitrarily assign a "DPI" value of 72
pixels per inch. Printed at that size, the image will be huge, and only
a small portion will fit on a 4x6 inch print.

What you need to do is recalculate the DPI value to get a print the size
you want. Open the "image size" dialog. Make sure the "resample image"
box is unchecked, because you don't actually want to change the image
pixels at all. Then set the image width to 6 inches in the box, and the
DPI value will automatically change to whatever is needed (in this case,
3072/6) to print the image at the specified size. Then go ahead and
print.

(If you've got a portrait-format image, of course you'll need to set the
height to 6 inches instead of the width, and print in portrait mode).

Dave
Old March 9th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Hi. HJIm. Printer driver does support oborderless printing.

Old March 9th 06, 06:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Hi Dave.
Thanks for the *clear* instructions. Worked a treat.
My only issue now is that it seems the Canon printer driver will
slightly crop the image anyway when trying to do borderless printing.
But I can live with that.

Is there a way to automate the Image Size option so I don't have to do
manually it for every photograph?

I'm happy that this thing is finally working (after lots of wasted
photographic paper and ink!).

Thanks.
Al.