Infrared Time-Lapse Movie

Old June 13th 12, 04:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

Default Infrared Time-Lapse Movie

"PeterN" wrote:
On 6/12/2012 7:53 PM, David J. Littleboy wrote:

The conversion may have added an IR pass filter (that blocks most or all
visible light) in front of the sensor. If it didn't, you need an IR
filter. There are some odd color effects you can get by doing color
photography with IR contamination of the colors, but I'm not fond of
those.

It was a cheapo conversion. Just removed the IR filter.

Here is the result:
http://peternewman.smugmug.com/Photography/Landscapes/21271534_mw4B9R#!i=1730614889&k=WGpJLmN&lb=1&s=A

That looks good to me. Close to what I am getting with a built-in IR filter.

http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/127605673/large
http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/140083759/large

I will sometimes do color shifting in PS, which I can control:

http://peternewman.smugmug.com/Photography/Abstract/21271728_bCdThq#!i=1693670410&k=4gXkj6L

That's extremeg.

-- David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old June 13th 12, 04:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
M-M

In article ,
PeterN wrote:

It also seems to be that a glass filter
will greatly extend the exposure time, making IR useless for anything
but landscapes.

True if the camera has an IR blocking filter. But if yours is converted,
you should easily be able to hand-hold the camera. I can get 1/125 @ ISO
100.

The sensor will see plenty of light come through- just not visible
light. So if you try to look through a Hoya R72 you will not see
anything but the camera will "see" a lot.

m-m
Photo Gallery:
http://www.mhmyers.com
Old June 13th 12, 11:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Pablo

David J. Littleboy escribió:

"M-M" wrote in message

http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/gsir/gsir.html

Oops. Don't have quicktime. Oh, well. No movie for me.

You don't need quicktime.

--
Pablo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/
http://paulc.es/piso/index.php
Old June 13th 12, 03:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
M-M

In article , Pablo
wrote:

David J. Littleboy escribió:

"M-M" wrote in message

http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/gsir/gsir.html

Oops. Don't have quicktime. Oh, well. No movie for me.

You don't need quicktime.

It is javascript. There were errors and I fixed them.

--
m-m
Photo Gallery:
Old June 17th 12, 04:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 6/12/2012 11:16 PM, David J. Littleboy wrote:

"PeterN" wrote:
[...]

I like your second image. though a smidge more detail in the highlights,
and a darker sky would add a lot of drama to the scene

--
Peter
Old June 17th 12, 04:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 6/12/2012 11:21 PM, M-M wrote:
In ,
wrote:

It also seems to be that a glass filter
will greatly extend the exposure time, making IR useless for anything
but landscapes.

True if the camera has an IR blocking filter. But if yours is converted,
you should easily be able to hand-hold the camera. I can get 1/125 @ ISO
100.

The sensor will see plenty of light come through- just not visible
light. So if you try to look through a Hoya R72 you will not see
anything but the camera will "see" a lot.

I was indeed referring to a filter like the Hoya R72 or a Wratten 87. I
don't think I could hand hold a camera with either of those.

--
Peter