Developing Legacy Pro B&W 400 with caffenol

Old July 4th 11, 10:12 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
davisr

Default Developing Legacy Pro B&W 400 with caffenol

Has anyone tried developing the cheap "Legacy Pro" film, sold by
Freestyle Photo, with the caffenol method? I'd like to see how it turns
out before investing in 100' of the stuff. (I'm just starting to shoot
film, and I'd like to lower costs as much as possible, hence my
inquiry.)
Old July 4th 11, 11:14 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

davisr wrote:

Has anyone tried developing the cheap "Legacy Pro" film, sold by
Freestyle Photo, with the caffenol method? I'd like to see how it turns
out before investing in 100' of the stuff. (I'm just starting to shoot
film, and I'd like to lower costs as much as possible, hence my
inquiry.)

Have you had any success with caffenol already?

IMHO if you are trying to save money why would you waste it on "experimental"
developing methods? I think you would be better buying a developer that can
be reused and replelenished if you do a lot of film and if you are a one
roll a week person, a developer that can be highly diluted.

I spent many many years using Edwal FG7, which I believe is still sold, but
the company changed hands and since 9/11 it can no longer be shipped by air,
so it is hard or impossible to get outside of the US (which I am).

FG7 is diluted at use 1 part developer to 15 parts water (1 oz makes 16),
which will develop a 120 or 35mm roll of film in a Paterson tank, or
a 120 or 2 35mm rolls in stainless steel. If you save the developer in
a bottle with an airtight lid, you can develop a second roll of film in
the same 16 ounces if you did it in a Paterson tank, and do it the same
day.

Another wonderful developer for cheap results (which some people love, others
hate) is Rodinal. You can dilute it 25:1, 50:1 or 100:1 with different
results.

Rodinal was always sold as a liquid, but since the formula (both original
and the "new and improved") are well known, you can buy it in powder form
if you have problems with mailing corrosive liquids.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Making your enemy reliant on software you support is the best revenge.
Old July 4th 11, 12:49 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Davis R.

On 7/4/2011 5:14, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Another wonderful developer for cheap results (which some people love, others
hate) is Rodinal. You can dilute it 25:1, 50:1 or 100:1 with different
results.

Thanks for mentioning this; I've looked into Rodinal quite a bit, and I
think I'll use it. The long shelf life, once-mixed, is also appealing.
Old July 4th 11, 10:11 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Paul Giverin

In message om, Davis
R. writes
On 7/4/2011 5:14, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Another wonderful developer for cheap results (which some people love, others
hate) is Rodinal. You can dilute it 25:1, 50:1 or 100:1 with different
results.

Thanks for mentioning this; I've looked into Rodinal quite a bit, and I
think I'll use it. The long shelf life, once-mixed, is also appealing.

Yes it has got a very long shelf life undiluted but I can't see why you
would want to keep it for long when diluted. I only mix the amount I
need, use it immediately and discard it.

--
Paul Giverin

My Photos:- www.pbase.com/vendee
Old July 5th 11, 08:39 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Paul Giverin wrote:
Yes it has got a very long shelf life undiluted but I can't see why you
would want to keep it for long when diluted. I only mix the amount I
need, use it immediately and discard it.

He may of been referring to the powdered version. I looked for it last night
and could not find it. (I did not look very hard to be honest).

The Photographer's Formulary used to carry it, they don't any more. Would
someone more familar with developer formulation please look at their web
pages and see if they still produce it, but dropped the name Rodinal due to
trademark issues?

Many of their developers were just listed by the main ingredients, and to
be honest, I doubt if I could tell them apart. :-)

Geoff.

Old July 5th 11, 11:33 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Davis Remmel

On 7/5/2011 2:39, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
He may of been referring to the powdered version. I looked for it last night
and could not find it. (I did not look very hard to be honest).

Sorry, no, I've just become a bit confused about how to mix all the
developers, but now I realize it would just be better to mix small
amounts of developer from a liquid concentrate.