bad thoughts

Old November 28th 08, 03:06 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lloyd Erlick

Default bad thoughts

November 28, 2008, from Lloyd Erlick,

The so-called economic meltdown lately has
been giving me bad thoughts.

How can the number of people still buying
film and film related products do anything
but go down?

How are companies like Iford going to
survive?

In my personal life lately I've had my face
rubbed in near-death, and now that it's
improving, I come up for air only to discover
that no one is going to have any money ...

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
website: www.heylloyd.com
telephone: 416-686-0326
email:
________________________________

Old November 28th 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John J

Lloyd Erlick wrote:

The so-called economic meltdown lately has
been giving me bad thoughts.

How can the number of people still buying
film and film related products do anything
but go down?

How are companies like Iford going to
survive?

I am worried, too. But let's consider an unintended side-effect of the
bad economy. Professional digital camera gear is retailed at a very slim
profit margin. I don't see discounts on that gear that can keep pace
with the expectations we have of other things. On the other hand,
excellent, used film gear is already discounted.

So maybe (maybe wishful thinking) film, paper, expendable makers will
find a profitable business environment - not great, but not broke and
closing, either.

In my personal life lately I've had my face
rubbed in near-death, and now that it's
improving, I come up for air only to discover
that no one is going to have any money ...

Me too. Mortifying, literally. Frightening.

But let's hang in here. A day at a time. If you find yourself in dire
straits, write again. We are reading.
Old November 28th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Randy Stewart

Lloyd:

Cheer up! Everything economic which can kill off film-based photography hit
us a long time ago. I do not see many people who prefer to use film now
shifting to digital to save money. Those who just do family snapshots left
our ranks years ago. Those who invest their time in what they consider to
be serious film photography are unlikely to invest thousands of marginal
dollars in new camera(s), lenses, computer adequate to the digital
processing task, and a $500 - $2,000 color printer. Film, paper and
chemiscals are cheaper than dirt in that comparison, and that's before you
consider the short, techno half-life of most digital equipment before
replacement.

Randy Stewart