Holga stuff gets weirder and weirder

Old May 3rd 13, 08:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Default Holga stuff gets weirder and weirder

Alan Browne wrote:
On 2013.04.25 17:13 , DanP wrote:
On Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:01:30 AM UTC+1, RichA wrote:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Holga-Turret-...item2578706cf6

Spend good money on a camera that takes good pictures and spend some more to make it take crappy ones.

Yeah, most people take good pictures with a good camera and then screw
them up in Photoshop.

The more advanced user has a good camera capable of taking good
pictures but screws it up because "real professionals sneer at auto
functiions & use full MANUAL control".

--
Chris Malcolm
Old May 3rd 13, 04:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-05-03 00:38:36 -0700, Chris Malcolm said:

Alan Browne wrote:
On 2013.04.25 17:13 , DanP wrote:
On Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:01:30 AM UTC+1, RichA wrote:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Holga-Turret-...item2578706cf6

Spend

good money on a camera that takes good pictures and spend some more to
make it take crappy ones.

Yeah, most people take good pictures with a good camera and then screw
them up in Photoshop.

The more advanced user has a good camera capable of taking good
pictures but screws it up because "real professionals sneer at auto
functiions & use full MANUAL control".

Shooting circumstances dictate what the "real professional" might use
as a method. Otherwise those "Pro" cameras wouldn't need to be burdened
with those "non-Pro" features such as "aperture priority", "shutter
priority", or "P mode". There is a time or a place where a "Pro" might
use any of those along with "full MANUAL" control.

Now if you are referring to those "scene" modes found on obviously
non-pro cameras...

Savageduck

Old May 4th 13, 10:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

On 2013-05-03 00:38:36 -0700, Chris Malcolm said:
The more advanced user has a good camera capable of taking good
pictures but screws it up because "real professionals sneer at auto
functiions & use full MANUAL control".

In fact most exposures I see screwed up are because the user never uses
anything but full auto, and has no idea about exposure compensation, or how
the metering works and the errors that can occur, let alone how to even use
full manual control!

Shooting circumstances dictate what the "real professional" might use as a
method. Otherwise those "Pro" cameras wouldn't need to be burdened with
those "non-Pro" features such as "aperture priority", "shutter priority",
or "P mode". There is a time or a place where a "Pro" might use any of
those along with "full MANUAL" control.

Exactly, although I use full manual most of the time, because I find it
easier than continually adjusting exposure compensation. That depends on the
user of course, what you shoot, and your own preferences. But one things for
sure, *if* you know what you are doing, you'll screw it up less than simply
leaving it all to full auto exposure and hoping for the best.

Now if you are referring to those "scene" modes found on obviously non-pro
cameras...

Lets not bring the discussion down to that level! :-)

Trevor.

Old May 5th 13, 08:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2013.05.03 03:38 , Chris Malcolm wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
On 2013.04.25 17:13 , DanP wrote:
On Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:01:30 AM UTC+1, RichA wrote:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Holga-Turret-...item2578706cf6

Spend good money on a camera that takes good pictures and spend some more to make it take crappy ones.

Yeah, most people take good pictures with a good camera and then screw
them up in Photoshop.

The more advanced user has a good camera capable of taking good
pictures but screws it up because "real professionals sneer at auto
functiions & use full MANUAL control".

I don't sneer at other modes - well, P, maybe. I used to use A and S
all of the time and only exceptionally M. When I started using studio
strobes I was using manual so much that it became habit regardless of
where I'm shooting.

When I know light conditions will be changing fast I switch to A or S as
appropriate (usually "A").

--
"A Canadian is someone who knows how to have sex in a canoe."
-Pierre Berton