Turning film cameras into digital cameras

Old April 8th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.misc,rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
David J. Littleboy

Default Turning film cameras into digital cameras

"Summer Wind" wrote:
"nospam" wrote:

that means either milling the film rails or fit the whole unit within
the film opening so the focal plane is physically in the right place.
unfortunately, there's a shutter mechanism that gets in the way of
doing that.

Could it work with medium format TLRs? The shutter is in the lens. That
old Rolleiflex in the closet could have a new life as a digital camera.

My 50s Rollei TLR produces lovely 77MP files without any modifications
whatsoever.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old April 8th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.misc,rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
nospam

In article , Summer
Wind wrote:

For TLRs? There have been MF SLR digital backs for years, but I don't
recall one for TLRs. Your link did not work, by the way.

i doubt there's any demand for a digital back for a tlr. i haven't
seen a tlr being used in a *very* long time.

the link spanned two lines enclosed in angle brackets. if you use a
newsreader that doesn't handle that, manually copy/paste the entire
link. here's the main page:
http://www.phaseone.com/
Old April 8th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.misc,rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Summer Wind[_2_]

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , Summer
Wind wrote:

For TLRs? There have been MF SLR digital backs for years, but I don't
recall one for TLRs. Your link did not work, by the way.

i doubt there's any demand for a digital back for a tlr. i haven't
seen a tlr being used in a *very* long time.

I saw a TLR in use just a couple of days ago, by me. I have a Yashica-MAT
124G and a Mamiya 330F. The OP asked about a digital film-sized cartridge
that could be used in any 35mm camera, not a back. Backs are make/model
specific. Such a thing will never be produced, of course, but making one
for TLRs would get you past the film plane issue because there is no shutter
in the way. The leaf shutter is in the lens.

SW

Old April 8th 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.misc,rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Summer Wind[_2_]

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

"Summer Wind" wrote:
"nospam" wrote:

that means either milling the film rails or fit the whole unit within
the film opening so the focal plane is physically in the right place.
unfortunately, there's a shutter mechanism that gets in the way of
doing that.

Could it work with medium format TLRs? The shutter is in the lens. That
old Rolleiflex in the closet could have a new life as a digital camera.

My 50s Rollei TLR produces lovely 77MP files without any modifications
whatsoever.

My sentiments exactly, but we are just fantasizing about a digital insert
that will never be produced. My two TLRs are in regular use, mostly for
B&W.

SW

Old April 8th 07, 09:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.misc,rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Philip Homburg

In article ,
nospam wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Thanks for the reference to the "silicon film", Honestly, I never
heard that before. Again, there are people out there who have thought
ideas like this. However, I wonder why this particular idea became
"cold". Could it be for one or more of the following reasons?

the main reason is that it requires physical modification to the camera
for it to work.

the surface of film is light sensitive, whereas the surface of a sensor
is not - it has the bayer filters, micro-lenses, anti-alias filter and
infrared cut filter in front of the actual light sensitive layer.
thus, one can't just put a filter up against the film rails and expect
things to be in focus - it would need to fit further forward.

that means either milling the film rails or fit the whole unit within
the film opening so the focal plane is physically in the right place.
unfortunately, there's a shutter mechanism that gets in the way of
doing that.

if that problem was somehow solved, there would still need to be some
sort of communication between the camera and the device so it knew when
to read an image and store it.

and then there's little things like a fixed white balance and fixed iso
rating when it is the camera (just like film). or a readout for number
of pictures available and battery level.

other than that, it is a good idea.

All of these problems didn't prevent Kodak from making quite a few digital
backs for existing Nikon and Canon cameras (the backs were expensive
enough that you would get a body for free with the back, but the body
was essentially unmodified).

Old April 8th 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.misc,rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
[email protected]

On Apr 6, 11:02 pm, ray wrote:
I've not seen anything that looked like a 'film cartridge' but there are
indeed digital backs for a number of cameras.

I'd think there'd be real practical problems for many cameras.
First is PRICE - the "film cartridge" would probably cost more than
just a new point-and-shoot digicam if the film camera being converted
weren't an SLR. This would probably be true even of better 35mm non-
SLR film cameras like the Minolta HiMatic ones.

Old April 8th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.misc,rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Rich

On Apr 7, 10:49 pm, "Summer Wind" wrote:
"David J. Littleboy" wrote in ...

"Summer Wind" wrote:
"nospam" wrote:

that means either milling the film rails or fit the whole unit within
the film opening so the focal plane is physically in the right place.
unfortunately, there's a shutter mechanism that gets in the way of
doing that.

Could it work with medium format TLRs? The shutter is in the lens. That
old Rolleiflex in the closet could have a new life as a digital camera.

My 50s Rollei TLR produces lovely 77MP files without any modifications
whatsoever.

My sentiments exactly, but we are just fantasizing about a digital insert
that will never be produced. My two TLRs are in regular use, mostly for
B&W.

SW

Black and white could be a practical digital solution not yet explored
except (I think) in one medium format digital camera. Monochrome
digital sensors don't have the resolution-killing moire filters that
colour sensors have and as a result, have 40% higher resolution than
do colour (Bayer) sensors of the same size/pixel count. There are
many sources for these sensors, Kodak being the main one. You can buy
an 11 meg full frame black and white sensors from them. Kodak now
offers their huge 39 megapixel sensor in monochrome as well so it
should show up in those big Hasselblads as an alternative to colour
backs.
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/dpq/site/...404_NewSensors

Old April 8th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.misc,rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Robert Coe

On 7 Apr 2007 09:35:02 -0700, "jazzology" wrote:
: I would give my bad eye for an F3hp viewfinder on my digital
: Nik... If the current crop of DSLRs follows the same price curve...a
: d200 will sell for 50$ in ten years... and so will a cheesburger OY!

For my last Nikon (an F-2 film SLR), I bought a replacement prism that
incorporated a split-image rangefinder with a Fresnel ring around it, set in
the middle of the ground glass. If I could have that in my XTi, I'd probably
never turn on AF again.

Bob
Old April 8th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.misc,rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
=\(8\)

There was of course the digital film insert a company tried to do early in
the digital camera days. It was basically a 35mm size device with the CCD on
what would have been the first frame of film that rested over the proper
area in the 35mm camera. It was a neat idea and they had a working
prototype. However, they never could get it working quite right. They had
too little space to cram a lot of technology including batter for power also
the need for a full size 35mm CCD was very expensive. In the end they went
belly up.

=(8)