IS lenses on APS cameras?

Old June 18th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default IS lenses on APS cameras?

I'm lying in wait for when full frame sensors become predominant in the
digital marketplace and many of these digital specific lenses, in particular
the pricey IS models, will become obsolete and cheap on eBay. I assume
nearly all of them will cover APS. Will the Canon IS "digital" lenses work
on an APS body? Any other suggestions?
Thank you
Always thinking ahead.

Old June 18th 06, 07:17 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

If Canon makes the camera body work with the lens, and the center
sharpness is good, the IS lens should work with either a full-frame
sensor and the smaller-APS size sensor.

Canon has one type of EF-S lens that is not 'forward' designed for all
Canon bodies....

But generally, cheaper prices are not going to be found if the lens is
good.
= = =

Old June 18th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Michael Benveniste" wrote in message
wrote in message
news
I assume nearly all of them will cover APS.

I don't think that's a good assumption. The APS-H frame is 16.7mm
by 30.2mm -- none of the "APS-sized" dSLR sensors are that wide.

So it'll have to be a trial-and-error process? I think you'll agree that
once the
industry settles on "full frame" or some variant of it, all of these lenses
designed
to cover "APS" sized sensors will be obsolete and cheaply dumped on eBay.

I can't speak about Canon's products, but Nikon does not recommend
using their DX lenses on their Pronea SLR's. Nor do Nikon's APS-only
IX-Nikkor have the necessary mirror clearance to work on Nikon's
dSLR's. (Not that you'd want to -- the IX-Nikkors are mediocre at
best.)

I think you get my point. Many of the APS-only lenses were dogs. However,
I believe many of these lenses manufactured for digital were over-engineered
for good reason. Once they can't cover the predominant sensor size they
will
become superfluous to digital shooters - but not for me. Incidentally
to answer the "film is nearly dead" sentiment found on all but the most
closely
moderated discussion groups, my lab reports that one of their APS shooters
(not me) shoots more rolls than any of their 35mm shooters - and APS is
supposedly dead by most accounts.
Steve

Old June 18th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Jerry L" wrote in message
oups.com...
If Canon makes the camera body work with the lens, and the center
sharpness is good, the IS lens should work with either a full-frame
sensor and the smaller-APS size sensor.

Canon has one type of EF-S lens that is not 'forward' designed for all
Canon bodies....

Translation please - you mean they will not cover a full-frame sensor but
may cover an APS
film frame? A group of lenses or just one? I'm a Minolta man, so I'm not
familiar with the Canon line. Minolta's approach to APS and digital has
been completely different i.e. nearly no compatibility.

Old June 18th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

news

--
Michael Benveniste --

Old June 18th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

wrote in message
"Michael Benveniste" wrote in message
wrote in message
news
I assume nearly all of them will cover APS.

I don't think that's a good assumption. The APS-H frame is 16.7mm
by 30.2mm -- none of the "APS-sized" dSLR sensors are that wide.

So it'll have to be a trial-and-error process? I think you'll agree that
once the
industry settles on "full frame" or some variant of it, all of these
lenses
designed
to cover "APS" sized sensors will be obsolete and cheaply dumped on eBay.

That presumes that they will settle on a single chip size, which might
happen, but not necessarily, nor necessarily soon. The very fact that Nikon
has invested lots of R&D into a DX lens system would seem to indicate that
it isn't going away any time soon. If Nikon produces a full frame sensor,
which remains to be seen, too, I predict they will continue to produce the
1.6 crop factor sensors for the likes of the D50/D70, that is, prosumer
cameras.
So, I wouldn't hold your breath. Now, the drop in medium-format system
prices, there's something to get excited about!

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old June 18th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Matt Clara" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in message
"Michael Benveniste" wrote in message
wrote in message
news I assume nearly all of them will cover APS.

[...]

Ah yes, Nikon won't abandon their current system when a new standard
arrives? What about APS - they seemed to dump that the minute camera
sales started falling.

So, I wouldn't hold your breath. Now, the drop in medium-format system
prices, there's something to get excited about!

The drop in MF gear is old news. It's been going on for a few years - hence
the exit of Bronica from the market with more to follow I'm sure. To not
recognize
that the whole reason why camera companies have embraced digital technology
is because of planned obsolescence is quite naive. Certainly the bodies
will
be worthless, but some of the lenses can be salvaged.
Steve

Old June 18th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Matt Clara" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in message
"Matt Clara" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in message
[...]

Really? That's the model Canon is following. I think your plan stinks

and
hasn't a chance in hell of working out for at least 15 years.

I'm betting on the "newer is better" mentality of digital shooters. If
they've matured past that by the time "full frame" (or equivalent) sensors
are predominant, then you're correct. Time will tell. Of course if Fuji
and Kodak discontinue APS film by then, as another poster suggests, then I'm
out of luck. However the APS patents should be expiring soon (2010
perhaps?) allowing secondary suppliers (like Ferrrania for example) to start
manufacturing APS film without paying royalties.
Steve

Old June 19th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

wrote:

So it'll have to be a trial-and-error process?

Yes. And some lenses will only provide coverage at some focal
lengths or distances, or provide coverage but with lousy quality.

I think you'll agree that once the industry settles on "full
frame" or some variant of it, all of these lenses designed
to cover "APS" sized sensors will be obsolete and cheaply
dumped on eBay.

Actually, I disagree rather strongly. It's now fairly clear
that the reduced-sized sensor cameras can and will produce
results comparable to 35mm film. That level of performance
has proven to be good enough for many professional applications
and the vast majority of amateur users.

It's far less clear that 24x36mm represents any sort of
"sweet spot" for dSLR's. As others have pointed out, Nikon
has bet heavily on the DX format. Others have placed their
bet on the even smaller 4/3rd's format. Canon has hedged
their bets, but already seem to have abandoned their 1.3x
line. I'd also guess that 24x36mm dSLR's make up only 2-3%
of their sales.

So quite honestly I doubt the industry will "settle on"
24x36mm any time soon. Instead, I expect an extended period
of competing sensor formats, and that the current "dSLR-
only lenses" will stay viable long after Kodak and Fuji
discontinue APS film.

Incidentally to answer the "film is nearly dead"
sentiment found on all but the most closely moderated
discussion groups, my lab reports that one of their
APS shooters (not me) shoots more rolls than any of
their 35mm shooters - and APS is supposedly dead by
most accounts.

Such is the danger of second-hand anecdotal evidence. I
have a Pronea-S as a "car camera," but I also own and use
35mm, medium format, and 4x5" film cameras. I even trot
out my Pentax 110 SLR once or twice a year.

While I expect to be able to shoot film for at least the
next two decades, I'm on record at predicting the end of
APS film in 2008. ISO-100 APS film is already gone.

--
Michael Benveniste --