Overlap frames on Zeis Ikon

Old June 13th 04, 08:09 AM
Bruceh

Default Overlap frames on Zeis Ikon

I dusted off my father's old Zeiss Ikon camera and shot a roll
of Fuji Provia. However the frames were overlapping around
a quarter inch.

Is there something I did wrong or has something changed
with the spools from 30 years ago (the last time it was used).

TIA
Old June 14th 04, 03:42 AM
Stacey

Bruceh wrote:

I dusted off my father's old Zeiss Ikon camera and shot a roll
of Fuji Provia. However the frames were overlapping around
a quarter inch.

Is there something I did wrong or has something changed
with the spools from 30 years ago (the last time it was used).

Where on the roll of film is the first frame located in relation to the
numbers on the film? If it's really close to the start of the roll, wind
more film onto the takeup spool before you close the back by maybe half a
frame (or more?) and try that. Another "solution" is to add some tape or a
piece of backing paper into the start of the takeup spool when loading to
increase it's diameter slightly. What probably going on is the winder needs
a CLA but these tricks can make it useable. The spools haven't changed but
modern film is slightly thinner than these were designed for. With my
Ikonta winding the start line about a half a frame past the red dot is
enough to get good spacing and still get 12 shots on a roll.

--

Stacey
Old June 14th 04, 12:17 PM
Lassi Hippeläinen

Bruceh wrote:

I dusted off my father's old Zeiss Ikon camera and shot a roll
of Fuji Provia. However the frames were overlapping around
a quarter inch.

Is there something I did wrong or has something changed
with the spools from 30 years ago (the last time it was used).

TIA

Sounds like you have a dual mode camera, probably 6x6 and 6x9. You
advanced the film as 6x6, but you didn't have the 6x6 mask in the image
gate. More than that is hard to guess without knowing the model.

-- Lassi
Old June 15th 04, 01:09 AM
Stacey

Stacey wrote:

Bruceh wrote:

[...]

This is assuming you have one of the models with an "auto counter" rather
than plain red window type.

--

Stacey