When not to use a single use camera

Old August 25th 08, 05:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Doug Jewell[_3_]

Default When not to use a single use camera

Scott W wrote:
When you are in a deep Oregon woods on an overcast day.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/102140571/original
The Negative was very thin indeed.

It was raining and I wanted to keep my SLR dry, I kind of wished that
I had taken the SLR.

This is where a fully mechanical SLR like a K1000 comes in
handy (I'm sure there are Nikon or Canon equivalents too).

Or alternatively, something like the K10D/GX10 which has
good weather sealing.

A few years ago I went on a hike with a group through a
rainforest with my MZ60 - in retrospect I should have taken
my old ricoh. Anyway, going through the rainforest was ok,
although I had to contend with the lens and viewfinder
fogging up. Eventually though the walk turned into a narrow
ravine which required a swim through freezing cold and
incredibly deep water. Someone had some plastic bags, so the
MZ60 got double bagged before the swim, but it still got a
little bit of water inside it. When I got home I pulled it
apart a little and let it dry for several days. It came good
and has worked perfectly ever since. Not 100% sure a digital
would survive as well.

My digital tale of shock & horror was about a year ago with
my GX10. In a rainforest again, and got trapped by a
tropical thunderstorm with hail the size of cricket balls
(baseball size?) and torrential rain. Once I managed to find
cover, I opened my camera bag to discover my camera sitting
with it's back in about an inch of water. Pulled it out,
wiped it off, and started using it! The GX10's weather
sealing really does work.

Note, one more 35mm FILM thread.

P.S. Now I would take my little water proof P&S, life is good.

Scott

Old August 25th 08, 10:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
PeteD[_2_]

"Doug Jewell" wrote in message
Scott W wrote:
[...]

I take all of my equipment caving (some quite wet) and canoeing/kyaking but
I use dry sacks, two sacks if if I will have to swim through the cave and
always two when canoeing. The one exception is one little digital one that
has a 10 metre underwater housing and a cheap P&S film camera that also has
one of those cheap underwater housings. I would love to get housings for my
big entaxes, both film and digitals but it is hard to justify the costs for
the occasional use I would get.

Pete