Frame Spacing on Rollex 6x9 Linhof?

Old September 11th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
PCR

Default Frame Spacing on Rollex 6x9 Linhof?

I am writing for a friend who has Linhof 4x5 Model III camera and recently
tried to use an old model (Black with winding knob) Rollex roll film holder
on the camera. He found the frame spacing had overlaps throughout the roll.
Has any one had similar experience and any idea what is causing this? Could
there be an adjustment on the Rollex for this?

PCR

Old September 30th 06, 11:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Peter

PCR wrote:
I am writing for a friend who has Linhof 4x5 Model III camera and recently
tried to use an old model (Black with winding knob) Rollex roll film holder
on the camera. He found the frame spacing had overlaps throughout the roll.
Has any one had similar experience and any idea what is causing this? Could
there be an adjustment on the Rollex for this?

PCR

I have heard of such a thing happening. Naturally, it would happen if
the winding mechanism is for 6x7 and the window is 6x9 (e.g., if
someone modified it without mentioning it).

I happened to speak with some folks at Linhof and was advised that they
no longer have parts for, neither do they repair Rollexes (they still
repair Super Rollexes).

You might try to find someone locally that is able (perhaps if you are
lucky, someone who has experience). I suspect that replacing it with
a working item would cost less (e.g., a Super Rollex or a Singer back
or a Horseman back).

Old September 30th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nicholas O. Lindan

PCR wrote:
old model (Black with winding knob) Rollex

Hey, I have a Rollex watch I bought on 47th St...

roll film holder on the camera. He found the
frame spacing had overlaps throughout the roll.

That's pretty common with some roll holders. If the
back has pinch or idler roll(s) that work to measure the
film going by - sometimes with serration's that dig in
at the edge of the backing paper - these often start
to slip because the rubber gets glazed, the grease
thickens to glue or the springs get weak or break.

If the rubber is glazed there is a 'platen restorer'
sold by the fix-your-own-printer folks that works magic
on glazed rubber. I don't know what's in the stuff
but use it outdoors on a windy day and put the used
pad in a glass jar for disposal.

If the grease is thickened - the roller doesn't spin
easily - then any moderately competent camera fix-it
shop should be able to fix-it.

New springs can be made, spring winders used to be common
items, but I think the practice has all but died away.
A close-enough match can often be found in most spring
assortments.

Has any one had similar experience

Just not on Rollex's. Linhof gear is so well made I
think it is probably possible to fix it without much
bother. On the other hand, really well made gear that
is a basket case is a _real_ basket case, there is
no hammering it back into shape.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Darkroom Automation