90mm on a Cambo SC without bag bellows?

Old September 11th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Chris Sprague

Default 90mm on a Cambo SC without bag bellows?

As the subject says, I'm wondering how useful a 90mm (Super Angulon
f/8) on a Cambo SC without bag bellows would be.

I understand I won't get many movements, if any. This setup also
assumes that I do have the recessed lensboard.

Question is, how will this work? Will it?

Thanks for any info!

- Chris

Old September 11th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Chris Sprague" wrote

As the subject says, I'm wondering how useful a 90mm (Super Angulon
f/8) on a Cambo SC without bag bellows would be.
I understand I won't get many movements, if any.

I think you understand right.

This setup also assumes that I do have the
recessed lensboard.

I don't think you can crank the standards close enough
w/o a recessed lensboard.

The problem, as I remember [and if I remember the right
model of Cambo], is that the standard bellows get so
compressed tight that they become [almost] a solid block.

The second problem was getting the cable release onto the
shutter when it was recessed into the board. I remember
an extra small (& cheesy) release _would_ fit, just, if
it was bent a bit. Someone makes 90 degree cable releases
for recessed boards.

I would get the bag bellows. The SA has lots of movement
to it and it would be a shame not to be able to
take advantage of them. Without shifts a WA lens on a 4x5
restricts shooting to pretty much straight-ahead subjects.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Darkroom Automation

Old September 11th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Chris Sprague

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
I would get the bag bellows. The SA has lots of movement
to it and it would be a shame not to be able to
take advantage of them. Without shifts a WA lens on a 4x5
restricts shooting to pretty much straight-ahead subjects.

Well, I plan to eventually, but I have to make do with what I can
afford at any given time. FWIW, my short-term use for this lens would
be landscapes this fall up in Maine.

- Chris

Old September 11th 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Chris Sprague" wrote

I have to make do with what I can
afford at any given time.

And the prices for bag bellows are ridiculous. I think
you can make your own out of a couple layers of black garbage
bag plastic.

Old September 14th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Bandicoot

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
link.net...
"Chris Sprague" wrote

As the subject says, I'm wondering how useful a 90mm
(Super Angulon f/8) on a Cambo SC without bag bellows
would be. I understand I won't get many movements, if
any.

I think you understand right.

This setup also assumes that I do have the
recessed lensboard.

I don't think you can crank the standards close enough
w/o a recessed lensboard.

The problem, as I remember [and if I remember the right
model of Cambo], is that the standard bellows get so
compressed tight that they become [almost] a solid block.

The second problem was getting the cable release onto the
shutter when it was recessed into the board. I remember
an extra small (& cheesy) release _would_ fit, just, if
it was bent a bit. Someone makes 90 degree cable releases
for recessed boards.

Gepe makes a short cable release 'extension' that is another option. This
is flexible almost to the tip - which is the limiting factor with most cable
releases on recessed boards - is a couple of inches long, and has a socket
for your normal cable release at the other end. All of my lenses that are
on recessed boards have one of these fitted permanently, and I find them
more flexible (literally and metaphorically) than the rigid 90 and 45 degree
extensions.

Peter

Old September 14th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Bandicoot

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Chris Sprague" wrote

I have to make do with what I can
afford at any given time.

And the prices for bag bellows are ridiculous. I think
you can make your own out of a couple layers of black
garbage bag plastic.

If you are stuck with the normal bellows, one option is to find the maximum
that you can shift the bellows, and then cut an off centre hole in your lens
board so that the lens is centred when the bellows are shifted that amount.
That way, depending on which way round you fit the lens-board (should have
said this only works for cameras with square boards, which the Calumet has,
I think) you double the maximum amount of shift you have available in any
direction, and can still shoot straight-on with the lens centred when you
want that. Doesn't help you much with tilt though.

For landscapes and this lens, I expect you might find you want fall front
more often than rise.

Peter