Beseler 45MX Carrier Opening

Old August 10th 04, 05:34 AM
Paco

Default Beseler 45MX Carrier Opening

I've recently acquired a 45MX the opening for the neg carrier looks like
there used to be cork or something that sealed the area. Needless to say it
leaks light like a sieve. What's the norm here, and how can/should I fix it?
Thanks. PS where can I get documentation on this beast?

Old August 10th 04, 12:57 PM
Nick Zentena

Paco wrote:
I've recently acquired a 45MX the opening for the neg carrier looks like
there used to be cork or something that sealed the area. Needless to say it
leaks light like a sieve. What's the norm here, and how can/should I fix it?
Thanks. PS where can I get documentation on this beast?

I don't have that model but my Beseler uses the same carriers. Nothing to
seal the area. At least I don't think so. You may be seeing somebody's
previous attempt at fixing a problem.

For manuals start by asking Beseler. If they can't provide one then try.

http://www.khbphotografix.com/

Some place on that website they list manuals. I can't find them
right now-( Email them. They'll also be able to answer your question on the
leaky opening.

Nick

Old August 10th 04, 08:21 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

Paco wrote:
I've recently acquired a 45MX the opening for the neg carrier looks like
there used to be cork or something that sealed the area. Needless to say it
leaks light like a sieve. What's the norm here, and how can/should I fix it?

My 45Mx has a foam ring around the top enlarger plate making up the negative
carrier slot.

The alignment of my top plate/top bellows/lamphousing is ****-poor: off by
about 1/16". The foam compensates for the miss-alignment and is thick
enough to seal the light.

The better the alignment the less of a light leak and the easier to seal
off the last of the light. On my enlarger it looks near to impossible to
align the top section to the bottom section, and if it is possible the
applicable tool may be a lead headed sledge hammer (any one ever had an
MG? Arkansas gas station attendant: "How fast does this here Undo go?").

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com
Old August 12th 04, 02:20 AM
Scott Schuckert

In article .net,
Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:

My 45Mx has a foam ring around the top enlarger plate making up the negative
carrier slot.

The alignment of my top plate/top bellows/lamphousing is ****-poor: off by
about 1/16". The foam compensates for the miss-alignment and is thick
enough to seal the light.

I believe the foam is an aftermarket fix - I purchased my 45MX new (way
back when) and it had none.

If I recall correctly (the enlarger is long gone) the plate above the
negative carrier is supposed to have enough "float" so it could shift
to make the seal when you lower it. If it's badly out of whack, that
float might not be enough.

There's an offficial proceedure, and perhaps even a tool to align the
enlarger; but in this case, the upper stage is non-critical. You should
be able to simply loosen all the screws, close it - and assuming it now
seals, tighten them up again...

Old August 12th 04, 04:34 AM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Scott Schuckert" wrote
Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:

My 45Mx has a foam ring around the top enlarger plate making up the negative
carrier slot

I believe the foam is an aftermarket fix - I purchased my 45MX new (way
back when) and it had none .... If I recall correctly (the enlarger is
long gone) ...

I think we have two different MX45's. Mine is 10 years old, I still have
it.

There's an offficial proceedure [sic], and perhaps even a tool to align the
enlarger; but in this case, the upper stage is non-critical. You should
be able to simply loosen all the screws, close it - and assuming it now
seals, tighten them up again...

That may have been on yours (and may be on the OP's) but it is no longer
the case with newer models.