Nikon D80.. (.NEF plug-in and other stuff...)

Old August 7th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
maya

Default Nikon D80.. (.NEF plug-in and other stuff...)

first of all, I don't know if everyone who was hanging out here last
February is still here, but I want to thank everyone who helped me with
my new Nikon D80 when I was in India last February.. I had been on a
Nikon F2AS for about 30 years, so transition to digital has been a bit
challenging, to say the least... I have lots of questions about the
D80, have been putting together a list (example: why does camera have a
hard time focusing when I switch to P shooting mode? (which I need to do
sometimes when I need to do exposure compensation... why does exposure
compensation work only in P mode? why can't I set White Balance in most
modes? don't remember which ones right now (am at work, don't have
camera with me now), but in most shooting modes White Balance is grayed
out in menu..)

main question I have now is: Photoshop CS2 won't open RAW (.NEF)
files.. even after I installed plug-in
(http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...01&fileID=2537)
followed instructions in PDF, put plug-in in right place...

as promised back in February, my photos can be seen here,
www.francesdelrio.com (although STILL have not posted all photos from
India trip.. I just purchased a new machine, and just ordered my copy of
PS.. was not able to do much PS-stuff on old machine..)
http://www.francesdelrio.com/

thank you very much...

Old August 7th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
the_niner_nation

"maya" wrote in message ...

[...]

get a canon eos 400d ;-)

Old August 7th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
maya

the_niner_nation wrote:
"maya" wrote in message ...
[...]

oh really? so Photoshop cannot open photos taken in format RAW with a
Nikon camera??????...

Old August 7th 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
the_niner_nation

"maya" wrote in message ...
the_niner_nation wrote:
"maya" wrote in message
[...]

as far as i know, my neighbour has a nikon d80 and his adobe raw has no
problems opening the nef files...im not sure, but maybe you need the adobe
raw plug-in for it to work with cs2?

did you upload any of your india pics when you visited? love to see them..i
went this february..amazing place to take pictures.

Old August 7th 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
maya

the_niner_nation wrote:
"maya" wrote in message ...
the_niner_nation wrote:
"maya" wrote in message
[...]

yes, I did, as I mention in my OP.. www.francesdelrio.com... you also
went in February? what part(s) of India did you visit?

some of my India-photos didn't come out too good (too dark, not in
focus, etc.. since I was literally inaugurating the camera when I was
there and had never used a digital camera before.. so had to do a lot fo
adj's in Photoshop..)

as far as plug-in for .NEF: I did install plug-in at Adobe
(http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...01&fileID=2537)
I followed instructions in .pdf that comes with the plug-in, but .NEF
photos still won't open....

well, am at work, at home don't have PS yet, as am on brand-new machine,
ordered CS3 today, I hope this will solve problem (or it could make it
worse.....

thank you...

Old August 7th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mark Sieving

(http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...ID=2701&fileID...)
I followed instructions in .pdf that comes with the plug-in, but .NEF
photos still won't open....

I don't have a D80, and I don't have CS2, but I do have a D40 and
Photoshop Elements. The D40 came with a Nikon program called Picture
Project, and when I installed that, it included the .NEF loader plug-
in for Photoshop. I'm pretty sure the D80 also comes with Picure
Project, so if you haven't installed that you might give it a try.

Old August 7th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
gowanoh

1. Autofocus is the same regardless of shooting mode (P,M, A, S etc.).
However it is easy to misunderstand how to use the multiple autofocus
controls or to accidentally change them. Some lenses also have to be set
correctly.
2. You may be confused about exposure compensation: there is a function in
the P mode that shifts the programmed settings slightly. Otherwise in all
modes, using any form of autoexposure, there is the +/- exposure adjustment.
There is also exposure adjustment available for the pop-up flash.
3. If you shoot raw then you do not need to set white balance. That is one
reason why shooting raw is preferable to JPEG.Make sure you are recording in
Adobe RGB for best results shooting raw. However if you shoot raw you need
to master basic image processing.
4. When the D80 was first released it took Adobe about a month to upgrade
their raw converter to work with the D80 in CS2. If you cannot open D80 nef
files in your adobe converter then you do not have the current version or
you installed it incorrectly. Adobe email support can be helpful, but not
always. I have never understood why dSLR makers call all their raw files by
the same three letter designation (e.g. ".nef") when they are not identical
file types and require a program that reads a header in the file to know
exactly what it is. We mortals assume all ".nef" files are the same, like
".exe".
The D80, like every other dSLR I have seen, has too many options and menus
for any human being to remember and mastering the basics can be frustrating,
particularly since the manual is not always crystal clear. It may help to
get a third party book about the D80 and work through all the various menu
settings. When I travel I always carry some basic instructions because I can
never remember all the obscure controls. If you shoot raw you don't have to
bother reading about the myriad jpeg options.

Old August 7th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

maya wrote:

I followed instructions in .pdf that comes with the plug-in, but .NEF
photos still won't open....

well, am at work, at home don't have PS yet, as am on brand-new machine,
ordered CS3 today, I hope this will solve problem (or it could make it
worse.....

In the meantime, you could download Lightroom (adobe.com), use it to
convert your RAW files (yes, in your case the .NEF files) to Photoshop
after adjustments to the RAW files. The newer RAW processor in CS3 is
similar to that in LR.

--
john mcwilliams
Old August 7th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
M@x From Holl@nd

:
: get a canon eos 400d ;-)

Better not! Stick to that D80!!!!
:

Old August 8th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
the_niner_nation

yes, I did, as I mention in my OP.. www.francesdelrio.com... you also
went in February? what part(s) of India did you visit?

I visited mumbai, jaipur, delhi,agra..only had 2 weeks though.

I took my new canon 400d with me, awful photographs, but that was down to me
not having a damn clue about knowing how to use a DSLR...my learning being
that it's always a good idea to take a point & shoot as back up...so i did
manage some great shots :-)